Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Any clue if Swtor uses all CPU cores and ?

Sangre

As the title says, Any clue if Swtor uses all CPU cores or max 4, and how much memory does it use, is it limited to 4-6gb or can it use 32gb memory, unlimited?

:confused:

well i can answer the memory, no swtor can't use more than 3gigs of memory it is a 32bit program so is limited to 3 gigs of ram it can use. it will take a 64bit client to effectively use more.

Edited by Mr_Crueak

As the title says, Any clue if Swtor uses all CPU cores or max 4, and how much memory does it use, is it limited to 4-6gb or can it use 32gb memory, unlimited?

Well I have a Intel Core i5 750 Quad core. I also use SpeedFan to help monitor my PC's temps. Speedfan has a bar indicator for each of my processor's cores at the top. When I am running SWTOR all four cores are running at 95%. I'm not sure if that is what you mean, but to me it looks like SWTOR is running all of the processor's cores.

I also have 4 gigs of DDR3 ram, but only 3.67 gigs are normally used when playing SWTOR.

One more thing, I do a lot of video editing, and multitasking. The ONLY other time my processor gets full usage when when I am rendering video with Adobe Premiere Pro. I can also run a ton of stuff at once, and never come close to filling up 4 gigs of ram. I would take a guess that SWTOR alone would have not much use for more ram beyond what it is using.

Edited by Thamelas

well i can answer the memory, no swtor can't use more than 3gigs of memory it is a 32bit program so is limited to 3 gigs of ram it can use. it will take a 64bit client to effectively use more.

When will they allow a 64 bit client then? I got 6 gigs and get alot of lag while it should run better.

ah yes, now i see, swtor.exe *32

about the cpu, swtor is using only two cores on my computer?? and only 1467 gb memory.

I have windows 7 64bit, AMD sixcore 3.3mhz, 4 gb corsair dhx memory.

Hmm

Any idea if you can force the game to use 5-6 cores by manipulating the ini file?

It uses two cores, and each process is limited to, I believe, 3 gigs.

Why do you think it needs more RAM? If it fits in those two three gig segments, it doesn't need more than that.

Edited by Pink_Saber

Neither SWTOR utilizes all of my 4 cores (they run at 50-60% load), nor it consumes all available memory (due to it's 32bitnessness), nor it utilizes GPU at max (GPU is loaded at only 80%).

The client just does not use all the advantages of hardware, as it is not capable of such use.

core i5, 4gb ram, nvidia 435m 1gb ram.

I'd gladly see it using all available resources, but for this the client must be 64 bit platform compiled.

because some ppl says that everything is so much smoother with 8gb or higher.

They'd run like crap if TOR used all 8 gigs.

The reason machines with 8 gigs run better than ones with less is partly because those with less usually only have 4 gigs (which isn't big enough for tow 3-gig segments), and also because it leaves some RAM free for other things besides TOR to use. If TOR sucked up all 8, it'd run like crap.

because some ppl says that everything is so much smoother with 8gb or higher.

so it must be thier imagination then. About the cores, maybe they do a 64 bit client for powerfull rigs in the future, hope so.

No, it's not our imagination. On occasion, Windows only recognizes 4GB of memory when I reboot. I usually don't notice the error until I try to play a game and see my memory at 98% utilization, forcing me to reboot again to get the full 8GB back. SW:TOR definitely runs better with 8GB than 4GB if you're running enough other stuff simultaneously. (I generally just have Vent, Hamachi, an IRC client, and Firefox running. FF takes up about 1.5GB of memory for itself and I know that Chrome also uses a lot of memory.)

Anyway, making the client 64-bit wouldn't do anything to make it utilize more than two cores. That's an entirely separate issue.

I am not sure if anyone answered this yet because i'm too lazy to read all the posts.

No game uses multiple cores(yeah even the ones that say they do are single thread, its all marketing). The reason why is because there is no good multi-threading algorithm yet. You never know when one calculation is going to come back, and if it comes back at the wrong time it could lead to null pointers exceptions, which in non programmer terms, means crash to desktop. As for the ram thing you shouldn't need more then the game allows. The only reason people needed more then 2 gb in skyrim was to use mods that pushed the game beyond its memory confines.

All that said I can run LoL, SC2, Wow, and swtor, plus music and a web browser running flash and have no slow down what so ever and alt-tab between them. This is the advantage of multiple cores and high memory currently.

The Cell processor in the PS3 is probably the closest to having a true real time multi-core utilization. In this case the single thread goes through a main processor and then lets a bunch of sub processors work for it. This gets around the problem of multi-threading. The way xbox handles it each core is given a independent task so they never overlap, much like your computer already does with the gpu, sound card, ect..

Edited by Nethrel

Utilizing muti core processors requires a multi-thread program. This isn't one of those programs and it's only 32 bit so won't utilize all the RAM mentioned by you all.

BW and all other MMO designers are wanting to include as many computers as possible. Doing that means a lot of compromise in the specs of the game itself. You will not see cutting edge graphics, DX10 or DX11 utilization, Shader 4.0, 64 bit compiling or multi processor support.

I like many of you have a pretty top notch gaming rig and most of the games out there simply do not take advantage of that power. It's a bummer but also a economic reality.

about the cpu, swtor is using only two cores on my computer?? and only 1467 gb memory.

Hmm

Any idea if you can force the game to use 5-6 cores by manipulating the ini file?

only 1467 gb of memory and

sixcore 3.3 mhz

LOL.

I believe you meant MB and GHz?

As far as the thread goes.. 32 bit programs would be limited to a maximum of 4 GB of memory. There is no reason SWTOR needs to be using 100% of your CPU or even GPU for that matter depending on your settings. Effective usage of available resources is a valid concern, but it is not as easy as opening up task manager to determine that it is doing good or bad job.

If you have VSYNC on and your graphics cards are capable of rendering 100+ frames per second, but you are limited to 60 FPS refresh rate of your monitor, then do you think it will be using 100%? Do you think there is a reason that SWTOR needs 6 gigs of memory? 12 gigs? 100 gigs? What makes you think 1.6 gigs of memory isn't just as much as it needs?

Hmm

Windows 7 doesn't let you use all your cores be default anyway. You can go in and unpark them be editing your registry, but I will leave that to you to figure out, because I wont be the cause of the computer illiterate ruining their computers. Now, whether the game utilizes them or not is another story.

edit - sorry, not implying you are computer illiterate. But many people are, and they really don't need to be mucking around in the registry. If you know what you are doing it is easy enough to do... but like I said, it probably doesn't matter much in terms of the game.

Also, it is worth having well over the max ram the game can use. This will let windows run all the other asinine nonsense it uses in the background... unless you go in and turn that stuff off, and again, I leave that up to you to figure out.

Edited by JonnySiniwali

Using more memory would not really make a big difference. Unless you are using onboard graphics. And unless 2 of your cores are maxed out at 100% all the time allowing it to use more cores would not make a difference either as all it would do is spread the load more evenly and you would have 6 cores cores using less.

SW:TOR definitely utilizes multiple cores. I just tested it. The game consistently uses one core at about 60% and three other cores at 30-40% when I tab out in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode.

There's a lot of nonsense in this thread about memory, threading, and current game tech. Best to just ignore most of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.