The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why people hate arenas

Poor_Grammar

Come to think of it, the release of 1.1 may have been the most ridiculous patch release for PvP that I have ever seen in a game. What they did to valor was basically the same as allowing you to make a new character, then run in circles and get from level 1-50 in a few hours.

How about if you had to take a hard math test consisting of 1000 questions, and you weren't aloud to use a calculator and no formulas were given to you. Then after you finished, they let the next kid use a calculator and gave him a cheat sheet with all the formulas so he finished it in 20 minutes. That is basically what Bioware has done.

This really shows how much Bioware is dedicated to creating a good PvP experience for everyone. After seeing this, what hope is there for swtor?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like arenas, at least something to do when you are getting bored :p

i was always enjoying victories over "anti-kombo" setting. balance is important, but skill is skill

ppl hate arenas when they got owned in some :p

As for us disappearing with vanish. Scoundrel's have a passive ability that when they use an Ability called Dodge, it removes all debuffs. It's a green bubble.

As for my class getting nerfed, the smaller the fight, the better we do. When you get into 5v5 fights or 4v4 fight is when we get pretty easy to shut down with a little dash of situational awareness. Especially with tanks and healers running in the mess.

See this is why I don't think they are overpowered. Objective based pvp such as is present in SwTor was never really designed around 1v1 and that is a good thing. Yeah you are gonna murder the stray lamb, but that is not the fault of your class that is the fault of the lamb for straying to far from the rest of his herd. In a 1v1 situation stealth classes have always been at an advantage and there is no reason why they shouldn't be. No need for a nerf.

Have fun ;)!

i like arenas, at least something to do when you are getting bored :p

i was always enjoying victories over "anti-kombo" setting. balance is important, but skill is skill

ppl hate arenas when they got owned in some :p

Yep arena my azz off until next patch and without im just bored cause the warzones are crap

A good idea for Arena in Star Wars. (As it will be requested by a lot of players anyways) Is to make it balanced!. Yes it could be rough to do, but what makes it unbalanced? The combination of teams? Maybe... Gear? Or...healers? But like most hardcore pvp players. They do it for the rating. The only thing you can't affect is skill.

So my idea to make it balanced is:

When you enter a Swtor Arena match..Have a droid present to provide a set of gear based on your class..and free of charge that you can only use in arena. (Example: Heavy Armor for a lvl 50 Jedi Knight Guardian) And this gear will be used for every game wither its 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5. This gear would have a set amount of stats and whatever the value of those stats.. it would be the same for every single class.

Example:

Heavy Armor Sets:

50 Str , 50 End , 50 expertise , 50 crit (or defense)

50 Aim, 50 End, 50 Expertise , 50 crit (or defense)

And so on with each armor type. This could balance the gear issue so that everyone has the same stats on their gear for their primary stat or class. It would just be Arena Restricted and Required.

A good idea for Arena in Star Wars. (As it will be requested by a lot of players anyways) Is to make it balanced!. Yes it could be rough to do, but what makes it unbalanced? The combination of teams? Maybe... Gear? Or...healers? But like most hardcore pvp players. They do it for the rating. The only thing you can't affect is skill.

When you enter a Swtor Arena match..Have a droid present to provide a set of gear based on your class..and free of charge that you can only use in arena. (Example: Heavy Armor for a lvl 50 Jedi Knight Guardian) And this gear will be used for every game wither its 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5. This gear would have a set amount of stats and whatever the value of those stats.. it would be the same for every single class.

Example:

Heavy Armor Sets:

And so on with each armor type. This could balance the gear issue so that everyone has the same stats on their gear for their primary stat or class. It would just be Arena Restricted and Required.

I'd actually just want capped stats so I can wear whatever I want.

Insane how TOR managed to get all the arena pros with their crazy high ratings they can't prove, yet they all seem to hate arenas.

Maybe I just fail next to you guys, but it took me a long time to get a decent ranking I'll admit that. I had to grind long to get the gear to even be competitive in arenas, owning everyone right out of the gate wasn't happening, it never happened. I put a lot of days into it and found it very rewarding.

Maybe if the rest of you just didn't dominate it so hard, if you just weren't so fantastic at everything, you could have gotten a more fulfilling experience out of it.

This talk about FOTM, in truth everyone can roll whatever class they want, there is no advantage.

Edited by Poor_Grammar

Any RTS with more than one playable race/build has the same issues with balance as any MMO. If you played enough RTS you'd already know that. FYI Starcraft is not the only RTS out there.

As for FPS, played one played them all. From what I hear the next gen FPS are gonna end up having a "gear gaps" too because people love them their rankings and want to feel like unique snowflakes because of it. So as they say "same poop, different game".

Have fun ;)!

Balance isn't what makes or breaks an RTS's skill cap, balance is almost completely irrelevant to my point.

Maintaining micro/macro in a high level RTS takes far more from a player than hitting at most two buttons every 1.5 seconds (Assuming one ability off GCD every GCD, we all know it's not that high.) MMOs with a GCD, and tab target instead of actual aiming are piss easy everyone but bad players know that.

Gear gaps or whatever in FPSes I still don't care, everyone will eventually be on an even playing field and even with the gear gaps the skill ceiling will be infinitely higher than an MMO will ever be.

Example:

Heavy Armor Sets:

Sorry, but that is a crap idea. It would make the pursuit for better gear pointless and take a major part of the fun away. Would you disagree that the moment you find a shiny purple weapon in a battlemaster bag is awesomely rewarding and fills you with indescribable happiness?

And bags are 90% about luck. To get gear because you achieved a certain rating is even more rewarding. Blizzard system is right and deserves to be copied, if possible, with improvements.

Anyways, arena is needed. WZs are fun, but they get old fast, really fast. Invent some Hutt Cartel Championship if you need and let there be real PvP.

Horrible idea, rankings and stats belong in fps games, we should get proper pvp not the click a button, fight two people crap.

First off, ranks and stats already exist. Proper pvp is not maintaining the status quo on a broken system.

It's clearly broken with the afk and exploiting going on. It is, it's broke, valor is meaningless (like it wasn't before outside of gear reqs), and now it's time to implement something else before this broken system is even more meaningless.

Edited by Poor_Grammar

There are so many reasons.

1. You need to balance PvP against PvE. With warzones and open world PvP, you can have soft balance. It doesn't really matter if class A is slightly outperforming class B at any given interval, and it's unavoidable. For truly competitive PvP, you need hard balance. Everything needs to be honed as sharp as possible. How would you feel if one of your core PvP talents was nerfed because it was too effective in a raid encounter only 0.5% of the population ever saw? That's what we're looking at, here.

2. Not too many people are really capable of/interested in high level competitive PvP in MMOs. It's got niche appeal. That doesn't make it bad, but directing the enormous developer resources it requires to get working correctly to such a small percentage of the player base is not a good strategy.

3. It's ridiculous to have high level/competitive PvP in a game that has a gear gap in the first place. You need a flat playing field. It would be like winning a Starcraft game because your Ultralisks had epic armor. It's a terrible medium for e-sports, and if anyone really APPRECIATES e-sports, or just sports of any kind, they'll easily understand why.

4. Like raiding, it turns people into intolerable douchebags. The amount of preening and smack talking it promoted in WoW absolutely beggared the imagination. It made a hostile, toxic community even more intolerable, by order of magnitude. Apparently people just can't psychologically deal with being ranked, it makes them go insane.

What he said . Truth in its purest form in forum posting. May the force be with you ser

my major hangout with arenas is why do I want to play a FPS style pvp game that's unbalanced when there are far better options on the market like COD or battlefield ect...

Why even play TOR when Skyrim and DAO are much better rpg's? Why play DOTA when W3 is around? Why Chipotle when Pancheros is right down the street?

Sorry, but that is a crap idea. It would make the pursuit for better gear pointless and take a major part of the fun away. Would you disagree that the moment you find a shiny purple weapon in a battlemaster bag is awesomely rewarding and fills you with indescribable happiness?

And bags are 90% about luck. To get gear because you achieved a certain rating is even more rewarding. Blizzard system is right and deserves to be copied, if possible, with improvements.

Anyways, arena is needed. WZs are fun, but they get old fast, really fast. Invent some Hutt Cartel Championship if you need and let there be real PvP.

I don't disagree at all with what you said, and I'm sorry you feel that way about my idea. But that idea was mostly towards those who hate pvp and complain about how unbalanced it is.

I rather love working for my gear via rating and would be nice to open a bag to get a nice purple weapon. (To bad they took that away?)

But it was mostly an idea for those not so much arena experienced. Thanks for the feedback though.

Why even play TOR when Skyrim and DAO are much better rpg's? Why play DOTA when W3 is around? Why Chipotle when Pancheros is right down the street?

What he said . Truth in its purest form in forum posting. May the force be with you ser

Because you agree with him, doesn't make it a fact. Yeah they might have to re balance some things, well, they're doing it right now without an arenas. You don't like their mentality, well I don't like raiders.

Come up with a real argument.

The resources are already there, the underlying mechanics in place already, they don't have to magic up anything.

Edited by Poor_Grammar

Because you agree with him, doesn't make it a fact. Yeah they might have to re balance some things, well, they're doing it right now without an arenas. You don't like their mentality, well I don't like raiders.

Come up with a real argument.

<3 This guy

Seconded! Give us an arena.

A rated WZ is apparently on it's way, but will Not be as much fun, and there will be alot of required practise, plenty more players and basically more of a hazzle to set up.

Finding 2 friends to go into arena with for some Real PvP > trying to find and organize 7 players for some rated WZ's.

Also, Warzones is focused on the objectives, while arena is a pure deathmatch, which IMO is more of "real skill PvP gameplay".