The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thanks For The Fast Fix to Ilum BW!

IasonEvan

PvP'ers can be so hypocritical. You say you want hard core PvP and yet, you grief the system.

When BW breaks it though, you fly into caps lock rage fests.

Let's be honest here: They addressed the issue(not perfectly) but they addressed it within 24 hours. Think for a second. How many MMO's have we all been a part of where they don't fix things for weeks sometimes? If you can't have patience, quit playing. If you can have patience, post something constructive and stop acting like it's the end of the world.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no way of knowing how fast a zone can be taken offline and what the impact of that would be on other parts of the game. The total number of lines of code for a game like SWTOR must be enormous making it extremely complicated to 'just' rush in a solution that would probably cause even more problems.

Perhaps it was not worded that tactful by Skorpius, but he has a point. Changing the code is not as easy as you claim it is otherwise they would have fixed it within the hour.

(sigh) You don't have to go digging through millions of lines of code to make additions or edits in order take a zone offline. That is not how it works. It is done through tools that MMOs have in place in advance for exactly these reasons. Your argument and his are based on a flawed assumptions Mine is actually based on firsthand experience.

Edited by Apax

What testing on the PTR? I don't know anyone who would manually level a 50 there, so there is little to no testing of endgame stuff until we get character copy or premade 50s.

What was it you said about the adults who have a clue? :rolleyes:

I suppose there's no internal testing either then, right? I mean how can we expect the internal testers and devs to level up to 50 so they can test the end game content? It's not like they have the power to magically create level 50 characters within their coding, that would just be crazy! /sarcasm

Again, another stupid excuse. An issue this big should not have made it past a decent QA team.

I suppose there's no internal testing either then, right? I mean how can we expect the internal testers and devs to level up to 50 so they can test the end game content? It's not like they have the power to magically create level 50 characters within their coding, that would just be crazy! /sarcasm

Again, another stupid excuse. An issue this big should not have made it past a decent QA team.

Its easy to sit back and say ohh it shouldnt have made it by testing, when you have the gift of hindsight right now. So what if it didnt, plenty of MMO game companies have made mistakes that "could" have been avoided. BW is no exception. It caused you no real harm. Get Over it already.

EQ back when duo and quad core CPUS first came out had a bad issue a true game breaker, Everytime you zoned you got disconnected...Took them a couple weeks to FIX it, in the mean time they released a band aid- set the affinity for EQ to one processor. Yeah that could have been avoided too, but it wasnt.. OMG 24 hour fix from BW, waa waa .. was rather fast really. They cant help that folks exploit the system.

Edited by Cbrinegar

And, in case you haven't been paying attention and missed it the first few times players posted this link, now players are abusing Ilum like this instead:

I love that it's Bioware's fault that all those people who were screaming for world PVP apparently don't even really want it.

It's fixed:

Hey dude, I've seen this method in other MMO's as well, Aion, AoC, you name it, with the same kind of videos: if people from different factions really want to farm eachother and make agreements for it, there's little to do against it, no matter what.

Oh, and btw, the fact that a number of people used this method to gain points for the 3-5 times that killing another player could give them, didn't mean that the regular FFA and faction PvP of those games wasn't happening on a large scale. Merely that some people used this method to gain kills and PvP points too.

Edited by dyves

If the republic didn't all die they couldn't be camped. Every PVP problem has a PVP solution. As it stands, I think Illum should be empire controlled now, as the "Battle for Illum" took place the day before yesterday, and there was a clear winner. Edited by Urgas

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The problem went untouched for the better part of a day. I think we may have different definitions of "fast".

WOW!

:o

So you know someone on the inside at Bioware that was working on it and you know for sure that it went UNTOUCHED for the BETTER PART OF A DAY?

We are so lucky to have an insider like you on our forums.

Hey dude, I've seen this method in other MMO's as well, Aion, AoC, you name it, with the same kind of videos: if people from different factions really want to farm eachother and make agreements for it, there's little to do against it, no matter what.

Oh, and btw, the fact that a number of people used this method to gain points for the 3-5 times that killing another player could give them, didn't mean that the regular FFA and faction PvP of those games wasn't happening on a large scale. Merely that some people used this method to gain kills and PvP points too.

What would be really funny is if BW made illum a total pvp arena and not announce it, watch as people scream as their own faction kills them :) Now that would be classic.

WOW!

:o

So you know someone on the inside at Bioware that was working on it and you know for sure that it went UNTOUCHED for the BETTER PART OF A DAY?

We are so lucky to have an insider like you on our forums.

I suggest you try to make a valid point without taking a quote out of context.

Its easy to sit back and say ohh it shouldnt have made it by testing, when you have the gift of hindsight right now. So what if it didnt, plenty of MMO game companies have made mistakes that "could" have been avoided. BW is no exception. It caused you no real harm. Get Over it already.

You're right, it didn't affect me personally because frankly I couldn't give 2 siths about PvP. I do a warzone here and there and that's about it.

However, I still feel for the people who either a) worked hard before this bug to get battlemaster status fairly and legitimately, and b) those who now have no desire to obtain the status because it's basically worthless now in their eyes. People play the game for different reasons and get enjoyment out of different aspects, so don't pooh-pooh their opinions just because it "doesn't affect you personally". It's called empathy.

If BW wanted to rectify the situation, they would have negated all valor earned within those 20 hours on Ium and called it a day.

The difference between this and some of those other games is this: Blizzard, for example, comes right out and tells players that they will be banned for this kind of cooperation in PvP. And they follow through with their threats. So, here we have a video of players trading valor points in Ilum and we're left to wonder where the warnings and bans from Bioware are. Because players will stop doing this sort of thing that brazenly once the bans start happening.

This is what happens when you even think of catering to PVP hardcores. They talk so much trash about how they want solid PVP content, then abuse every exploit they can find. Oh and they NEVER stop complaining. EVER.

You'll find 90% of all the doomsaying, crybaby, fix it NOW, I quit! posts, are PVP hardcores, who have the audacity to roam from mmorpg to mmorpg demanding every game cater to their gank-fantasy desires.

ONE DAY. They fixed it in one *********** day and these a-holes still show up to complain. **** you.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

I suggest you try to make a valid point without taking a quote out of context.

I suggest that you not say things that you have no way of verifying as truth. When you say the problem went untouched for the better part of a day...how do you know this for a fact?

And I believe I made my point nicely...unfortunately, you missed it.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The problem went untouched for the better part of a day. I think we may have different definitions of "fast".

It is fast. Turn around times on bug fixes that are measured in hours are rare. Very rare. Days to weeks is more common. Our hot fixes at work have to go through internal acceptance testing before we can send them out to customers - that can take a week on its own.

You are right, haters will be haters.

Based on most of the people responding in this forum have absolutely no freakin' idea what it means to code or fix bugs.

They did get things fixed, and they rolled back the people who exploited. I couldn't be happier. If people are going to hold grudges, who cares?

Obviously Bioware has no idea either because this game is still filled with bugs.

Hey Nubs have you ever tried coding, it take a while, your lucky it got done in a day.

Shutting the servers down takes very little time, they should have done it immediately and kept them down until the issue was resolved, now we have a bunch of exploiters who were rewarded for exploiting game mechanics, having a hard time feeling bad for BW right now.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The problem went untouched for the better part of a day.

Just so you know, a 24 hour turnaround is pretty fast, when you consider it needed to be coded, patched in, and distributed to all the clients.

Software updates are a bit more complicated than waving a magic wand....