Would 4gb of RAM make a difference over 3gb with SWTOR performance?

Elocke

I use Windows 32bit OS. I currently have 3gbs of RAM and am wondering if upgrading to 4gbs of RAM will improve in game performance.

I mostly have no issues except for the Fleets, operations and areas where there are tons of npc's throwing blaster fire back and forth. My FPS drops considerably in these areas.

Seeing as 1 more gb of RAM is pretty cheap, just want to know if it will be worth it or not or at all. Thanks in advance.

It's highly doubtful that you'd notice any difference. The only thing it would do is allow the computer more memory to load data into before having to start doing memory paging to the hard drive. If you aren't running several applications at one time, you probably don't have that problem to begin with.

Depending on your system, the problem is more likely to be a "slower" CPU that's getting bogged down when it has to do a lot of calculations to place players/objects in the world - as flashpoints, operations and PvP will have a lot more objects than the normal game world. Or it could be a "slow" GPU that's having problems rendering all the additional special effects that occur during flashpoints, operations and PvP.

So I would consider buying 1 GB of RAM kind of a waste, to be honest.

I was afraid of that. I have NO clue how to replace a CPU or the cost. /sigh It's definitely my CPU. I've got a Radeon HD 5770 for my GPU, which seems to run nicely when playing single player games. It's only MMORPGs that my PC bogs down in highly populated areas. Rift and SWTOR are good examples of games that have issues. Edited by Elocke

If you hit CTRL SHIFT F in game and look in the lower left corner you should see a #. If that number is RED it is your CPU limiting your system, if it is GREEN it is your Graphics card. That can help you figure out what to fix first.

I use Windows 32bit OS..

The fact that you gave us that information tells me you know something of the limits of 32bit systems. You wouldn't see hardly any difference when going to 4gb, but if you went to a 64bit OS and got yourself a good amount of RAM then you'll start seeing your money pay off.

I was afraid of that. I have NO clue how to replace a CPU or the cost. /sigh It's definitely my CPU. I've got a Radeon HD 5770 for my GPU, which seems to run nicely when playing single player games. It's only MMORPGs that my PC bogs down in highly populated areas. Rift and SWTOR are good examples of games that have issues.

what cpu are you using?

Edited by Jybwee

The fact that you gave us that information tells me you know something of the limits of 32bit systems. You wouldn't see hardly any difference when going to 4gb, but if you went to a 64bit OS and got yourself a good amount of RAM then you'll start seeing your money pay off.

^ This, your system can only address 4GB of Memory total, you have 3GB RAM already, if you have a vid card with 1GB ram onboard you are already maxed...

Switching from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit was a big benefit for my game's performance

I had Vista 32 bit (using 3.2GB of the physical 4.0GB) and had fps issues. The Resource monitor often indicated it was out of RAM and started using a page file, that's usually when performance dropped a lot and the HDD would be working hard.

Also, alt-tab was tedious and often made the game crash.

(No other applications running in background)

I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit (didn't add RAM... I wanted to see how it would do with 4GB) and the performance has significantly improved.

The least amount of free RAM shown in the resource monitor has been 0.5GB since I did this upgrade, so I did not go ahead and upgrade to 8.0GB

I can even afford to leave Firefox open in the background (it takes approx 100-120MB), and alt-tab is fairly quick (playing in maximized window mode)

CPU: Q6700

RAM: 4.0GB

Vid Card: GTX 275

what cpu are you using?

Yeah, I like to install stuff in my PC as a side hobby, I have just never attempted a CPU install.

My CPU is - AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ and it sits on an ASUS motherboard M2N4-SLI

Yeah, I like to install stuff in my PC as a side hobby, I have just never attempted a CPU install.

My CPU is - AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ and it sits on an ASUS motherboard M2N4-SLI

The thing with CPU is that you generally cannot upgrade JUST the CPU if you are trying to go from a 32 bit to a 64. (sockets and other things arent the same) You will need a new motherboard, new RAM and new CPU in almost all cases.

I'll be honest i don't know much of anything bout AMD processors.. just always kinda been an intel guy.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2N4SLI/#CPUS

is from asus but i don't see any quads on there.. and i really don't know much about the socket. I see quads for the AM2 socket.. but some say AM2+?!? idk man, sry. Maybe someone with more AMD knowledge will come in to help if your thinking bout upgrading your CPU

As the CPU is a 64-bit CPU and the motherboard will mount up to 8 GB of RAM, if you're looking to save money with an upgrade now and a more complete upgrade on down the road, you couldn't go wrong with moving to Windows 7 64-bit and adding another GB of RAM or more (4x1GB, 2x2GB, 4x2GB). That will keep you going for a while.

You'd be looking at about $100 (OEM) to $200 (Retail) for the OS (7 Home Professional)....OEM if you're comfortable with repairing problems with the OS yourself or Retail if you want to have the option of using Microsoft Support. You'd get a bit more performance out of the OS and RAM upgrade until you can shell out the cash for a more complete system overhaul (at such time you won't have to worry about changing the OS).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.