How hot is a Core i7 supposed to get?

Wrevan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you all try to help, but guys, some of you please learn to read.

Repasting it with the correct amount of proper thermal paste will get the temperatures down, but since it is a new PC there is a warranty.

So the OP can RMA it and ask them to fix their thermal paste mess. (If you bought it at a local shop where they got their own technicians they might do it for you too without you loosing any warranty)

I would also highly recommend one of the cooling pad solutions for laptops.

I agree with this post. Keep it under warranty.

If they can redo the thermal paste, that might help.

The cooling pad is a good idea for any gaming laptop.

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C :eek:

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

EDIT: It's a mobile CPU with Intel's "Switchable Graphics" deal paired with a Radeon 6970 (that runs cooler than the CPU even though I'm not using the Intel GPU!) Idles at a 50C average.

You're running the game on a laptop with a mobile CPU. the temp you're getting is normal under load. If you were getting this temp on a desktop-PC it would be a bit high.

Mobile CPU's can handle more heat than desktop CPU's.

Remember theres almost no room inside the laptop for airflow and the fan is really small, you cant expect to get a quad CPU much cooler than this in a laptop.

But still, do you have issues with your computer or are you just concerned?

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C :eek:

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

EDIT: It's a mobile CPU with Intel's "Switchable Graphics" deal paired with a Radeon 6970 (that runs cooler than the CPU even though I'm not using the Intel GPU!) Idles at a 50C average.

The precisely answer your question, your CPU should not reach 90c or it will throttle. If temp hits 100c, your PC shuts down automatically.

Laptops are not meant to play intense gaming or apps as cooling is indeed an issue. Inside the laptop, there is a thin copper plate running through both CPU, GPU and a small block of fins. That is, the heat produced by GPU and bleed into CPU and vice versa. Eventhough the temp of GPU may be lower than CPU, the amount of heat produced by GPU will endup the copper plater which reduce its effectiveless on absorbing heat from CPU, and therefore resulting high CPU temp. That is, eventhough temp outside of the case is 15c, the true ambient temp to CPU is actually, in your case, 66c.

Since different laptops has different copper plate design, and some does have independent cooling for CPU and GPU, so therefore the above may not be true. Run a prime95 with a single thread to see if CPU temp jumps to 80c. If it does, than what I said above false as prime95 does not cause GPU to produce excessive heat. If however the above is true, then the 2 things you can do without taking the laptop apart and reapply TIM is to buy a cooling plate that the laptop can sit on and manually max out the fan during gaming. In short it increase cooling and airflow towards the bottom of the laptop.

Yes, I refuse to call that thin copper plate a heatsink!

Edited by novaace

My i7 2600k runs under 40c usually I have an aftermarket heastsink installed on it works wonders.

My laptop i7 runs hot though mid 70s usually unless I have it on a cooling pad where airflow can get through the bottom or keeping it on my lap for a nice heater lol.

Tons of feedback here already, and I'm not catching up on all 6 pages. :)

But my experience with older processors is that as you get to around 70C you can start having instability, and over 80 you should definitely be seeing issues. Over 90 (and especially over 100) you can cause permanent damage. I haven't looked to see how this stacks up on the i7 specifically, but...

Get a better cooling solution ASAP.

Edited by ZenBones

Tons of feedback here already, and I'm not catching up on all 6 pages. :)

But my experience with older processors is that as you get to around 70C you can start having instability, and over 80 you should definitely be seeing issues. Over 90 (and especially over 100) you can cause permanent damage. I haven't looked to see how this stacks up on the i7 specifically, but...

Get a better cooling solution ASAP.

Yea get to page 3, he sais he has laptop :) these temperatures are quite understandable for laptop while playin SWTOR

I have asus g74sx-bbk8 with

i7 2670QM

Nvidia 560m GTX 2GB (overclocked to 820/1640/1350)

8gb Ram

2x 7200 500g hard drives

heres my temperatures just standing in the IMP fleet.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7014/6731233413_631550cde6_b.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Looks like you're over 70C too, and considering a 2670 is a tad bit slower than the 2720 then I'm guessing those temps are the norm for laptops? Apparently more so if it's a Sandy Bridge using Switchable Graphics since some of the load will go through the CPU even if you're using the other on-board chip, or so I read (or it could just be the shared heat sink as others have said.)

yep I'm using a cooling pad. Google says 50 idle to 85 on load should be normal for a 2720QM but it's still freaking me out since it's so close to the TJ max :jawa_frown: Guess I'll have to keep running CoreTemp with auto-sleep at 85C..

On the bright side you don't have to leave the computer to make tea now.
:D

Thanks for posting this. Looks like you're over 70C too, and considering a 2670 is a tad bit slower than the 2720 then I'm guessing those temps are the norm for laptops? Apparently more so if it's a Sandy Bridge using Switchable Graphics since some of the load will go through the CPU even if you're using the other on-board chip, or so I read (or it could just be the shared heat sink as others have said.)

yep I'm using a cooling pad. Google says 50 idle to 85 on load should be normal for a 2720QM but it's still freaking me out since it's so close to the TJ max :jawa_frown: Guess I'll have to keep running CoreTemp with auto-sleep at 85C..

I was letting it sit too, never saw temps go above 73 on this laptop

Dont worry, the temp you're getting is absolutely normal on your laptop.

If it is a laptop you'll need a cooling pad, if it is a desktop sounds to me like they didn't put enough cooling or the correct cooling in the tower.

That is a laptop yes? They will all overheat like that. For some reason (greed most likely) these companies have yet to provide adequate cooling for the equipment in a laptop. You must get a good cooling pad for a laptop. I had the same problem until I sunk some money into a cooling pad. Let me save you some scratch from trial and error and recommend the Antec 200. There are much cheaper models out there, but they all suck, and most didn't even cool my laptop.

Additionally, for extra air flow you can take the panel off the back so the air will blow directly into the system for better circulation. It is up to you whether or not you are comfortable with such a thing, but my internal fan barely even runs when I do this.

That is a laptop yes? They will all overheat like that. For some reason (greed most likely) these companies have yet to provide adequate cooling for the equipment in a laptop. You must get a good cooling pad for a laptop. I had the same problem until I sunk some money into a cooling pad. Let me save you some scratch from trial and error and recommend the Antec 200. There are much cheaper models out there, but they all suck, and most didn't even cool my laptop.

Additionally, for extra air flow you can take the panel off the back so the air will blow directly into the system for better circulation. It is up to you whether or not you are comfortable with such a thing, but my internal fan barely even runs when I do this.

asus cooling system is getting insane for laptops. lots of copper for cooling and interesting tunnel designs. just check out the rear end thats on my laptop! lol

http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7/FQHCw3i3rqsaNsye_500.jpg

no this is a legit problem for swtor, me and my friend both run i7 his a 920 and mine a 930.

we had our computers for a year or two now, im using a hydro 60 cooler. for since day one i ran mine overclocked to 3.8 and he had his at about the same speed.

come swtor and mainly warzones, my cpu goes from 60c in battlefield 3 to 90+ and reboots.

this game really really takes the piss out of cpus, atleast ours. right now i have to run my cpu at 2.8.

does this game really demand that much more than skyrim, battlefield 3 and other new top titles?

no this is a legit problem for swtor, me and my friend both run i7 his a 920 and mine a 930.

we had our computers for a year or two now, im using a hydro 60 cooler. for since day one i ran mine overclocked to 3.8 and he had his at about the same speed.

come swtor and mainly warzones, my cpu goes from 60c in battlefield 3 to 90+ and reboots.

this game really really takes the piss out of cpus, atleast ours. right now i have to run my cpu at 2.8.

does this game really demand that much more than skyrim, battlefield 3 and other new top titles?

on my desktop i've never seen it use more than 32% of cpu and it's an i7 2600k at 4.8

everyone has a different problem with this game it's crazy!!!

ok enough already with the comparisons to desktop computer temps.

ITS A LAPTOP as denoted by the qm at the end of the model number not to mention the fact intel have never made a desktop i7 2670qm.

clearly many here have no idea what the cpu even is or how cooling works.

liquid cooling is not a viable option so stop pretending it's something the OP can use and stop thinking it's cool as well, it's utterly pointless unless your doing high end rendering of and judging by some posts with it i would imagine you wouldn't even know how to stress your cpu to that degree anyway to fully utilise a cooling solution like that.

the lowest end i7 mobile and i could be wrong starts at 1.8ghz then uses turbo tech to push to 2.8ghz as it is a laptop so power saving is used instead of high clock rates all the time.

and no it's not a quad core it's a dual core with hyperthreading 2 physical cores and 2 virtual.

there are 2 posts in this entire thread of any value to the OP, one regarding the use of warranty and one prior to it cover many things about air flow.

OP the only responce to read is the one regarding the warranty, if your worried then go see the reseller and consult with them and see if it's an issue, alternativly geta cooling pad and see if you can't improve it yourself, in any case pick up the cooling pad to give your laptop that extra lease at life, despite everything laptops don't really respond well to excessive heat over long periods of time a cooling pad will help you there.

no one cares if your i7 2600k with a coolermaster blah blah only gets to 40 deg...it's completly irrelevent.

sorry but 2670qm is definitely a quad core. 4 physical 4 emulated and it maxes at 3.1 with turbo...

http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-2_20-GHz)

oops i didn't look it up, it is indeed a quad core version, there are only a couple of the mobile versions that are so i didn't really bother including that, my bad.

ok enough already with the comparisons to desktop computer temps.

ITS A LAPTOP as denoted by the qm at the end of the model number not to mention the fact intel have never made a desktop i7 2670qm.

clearly many here have no idea what the cpu even is or how cooling works.

liquid cooling is not a viable option so stop pretending it's something the OP can use and stop thinking it's cool as well, it's utterly pointless unless your doing high end rendering of and judging by some posts with it i would imagine you wouldn't even know how to stress your cpu to that degree anyway to fully utilise a cooling solution like that.

the lowest end i7 mobile and i could be wrong starts at 1.8ghz then uses turbo tech to push to 2.8ghz as it is a laptop so power saving is used instead of high clock rates all the time.

and no it's not a quad core it's a dual core with hyperthreading 2 physical cores and 2 virtual.

there are 2 posts in this entire thread of any value to the OP, one regarding the use of warranty and one prior to it cover many things about air flow.

OP the only responce to read is the one regarding the warranty, if your worried then go see the reseller and consult with them and see if it's an issue, alternativly geta cooling pad and see if you can't improve it yourself, in any case pick up the cooling pad to give your laptop that extra lease at life, despite everything laptops don't really respond well to excessive heat over long periods of time a cooling pad will help you there.

no one cares if your i7 2600k with a coolermaster blah blah only gets to 40 deg...it's completly irrelevent.

Couldn't have said it better myself, i totally agree with you! Exept it is actually a quad core tho. :)