The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Republic endgame gear does not make me look powerful. Only stupid.

ndruo

(This post is meant to be a half-serious, half-joking mention of what I think is a common complaint for Republic players.)

Use more colors than white, brown, and dark brown, and black. And before you ask, no - grey does not count as "mixing it up."

Smugglers: you got this right, or at least pretty close to it. If there ever was a Space Cowboy, then this was it. I like it. BUT. Why is there a ninja hood and mask? The cowboy hat wasn't cool enough? Or was it just too tricky to make it work with the hair choices?

Troopers: Instead of a neck I have more chins than a Chinese phone book. And my mouth reminds me of a blow-up doll, which is doubly awkward when I'm wielding a giant phallus for a weapon.

Consulars: I'm so, so very sorry.

Seriously, though - there are only two color schemes here: white or grey. You also have a dash of bluish white tinged with grey for accents. Finally, make your choice between "fan" for Sages' and "octopus" for Seers' headgear. If you ever wondered what Princess Amidala would look like as a Jedi, you don't have to wonder anymore.

Knights Not bad, but uninspired. "Wow this Jedi Knight must be really powerful!" "How can you tell?" "He is wearing a hooded robe with shoulderpads on the outside." "...Don't they all wear that?" "Yes, but he wears sunglasses."

My suggestions: Get a more colorful color palette. Neutral colors are boring as hell. Colors are going to add appeal orders of magnitude larger than what we have available now.

Rethink headgear. Full-face helmets don't have to be evil or scary looking, and no more blow-up doll mouths, please. Hell nice-looking collars would be a big step up.

TL;DR: MORE COLORS, LESS STUPID HATS.

P.S.: I would like my ship to resemble something that is not a brick.

Edited by ndruo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, every time I see a game company cut corners, I get a really primal, deep, disgusted feeling. It's like watching someone turn tail and be a coward.

And this is how I feel regarding the hats/hoods and hair stuff, as well as with the lekku. Not to mention the fact that this is going to have a profound impact on any additional alien races we'd like to see in the game.

It -is- 2012, and things like hair, hats, and hoods still utterly and completely baffle game artists.

And regarding the horrible armor designs - before they release any more awkward looking crap, the concept artists should be forced to make a 3 page in-house comic showing someone actually looking respectable in the armor design they've chosen. If they can't make something look good, then they need to start dipping into the massive resource of designs that have been around for decades in the Star Wars RPG books, the comics, and even the recent Clone Wars tv series. There's SO much to pull from. But I'm afraid Bioware will just drag everything down with hubris.

I have to admit, every time I see a game company cut corners, I get a really primal, deep, disgusted feeling. It's like watching someone turn tail and be a coward.

And this is how I feel regarding the hats/hoods and hair stuff, as well as with the lekku. Not to mention the fact that this is going to have a profound impact on any additional alien races we'd like to see in the game.

It -is- 2012, and things like hair, hats, and hoods still utterly and completely baffle game artists.

And regarding the horrible armor designs - before they release any more awkward looking crap, the concept artists should be forced to make a 3 page in-house comic showing someone actually looking respectable in the armor design they've chosen. If they can't make something look good, then they need to start dipping into the massive resource of designs that have been around for decades in the Star Wars RPG books, the comics, and even the recent Clone Wars tv series. There's SO much to pull from. But I'm afraid Bioware will just drag everything down with hubris.

Quoted for great emphasis.

The Devs totally failed in every aspect of Republic gameplay. It is pathetic how badly they did their jobs...

In every way Imperials are better.. gameplay, looks, storylines, etc, etc.

The Devs really don't deserve their jobs considering how badly they have done them.

What do you really expect them to do with Jedis and still conform to lore? A proper Jedi should be humble. On the path to humility, one normally doesn't dress as a pimp. Remember that Jedis might as well be space-faring Buddhists.

Point. But I now want to see a Jedi with platform shoes--the kind with goldfish in the heel. :cool:

One of the most powerful Jedi of all time, Yoda, wore brown robes with a hood until pretty much the day he died.

Jedi aren't supposed to look epic, they're an order of warrior monks who've all but taken a vow of poverty.

Luke looked pretty cool in his black getup in the end. Just because the sawed off runt Yoda, wants to run around in a potatoe sack doesn't mean everyone else wants to, or has to.

The Devs phoned in their Republic work. They don't like Republic, don't play Republic and it shows.

Edited by --Grim--

One of the most powerful Jedi of all time, Yoda, wore brown robes with a hood until pretty much the day he died.

Jedi aren't supposed to look epic, they're an order of warrior monks who've all but taken a vow of poverty.

At least he had a hood, and not a stupid looking hat.

Yes, but we aren't really Jedi. We're humans playing a video game and variation in appearance from time to time is usually somewhat welcome.

Well written post, true but humorous. Sadly, the gaggle of biodrone fanbois are rushing in to tell you to stop complaining.

I think cooler looking gear/spacecraft/etc would help faction imbalance. The 10-15 of us that came over from that other MMO all chose Imp based on beta and preview concept art. After playing both teams I'm glad we went Imp - so much cooler looking armors.

The best fix might be Pubs getting some faction-only customization; allow them to mod their gear with looks/colors. A similar feature was present in a pre-release version so it is definitley doable and I can see alot of people rolling Pub if that feature went live.

What do you really expect them to do with Jedis and still conform to lore? A proper Jedi should be humble. On the path to humility, one normally doesn't dress as a pimp. Remember that Jedis might as well be space-faring Buddhists.

I don't really see the blade-head, octopus crown, or the cyber-sunglasses as "humble buddhist" apparel. The Jedi are also meant to raise morale by inspiring their allies, not by making them laugh. =/

And since when did Buddhist people shun clothing dye?

Yes, but we aren't really Jedi. We're humans playing a video game and variation in appearance from time to time is usually somewhat welcome.

So you want them to butcher the established lore of the universe to make your character look pretty?

If you are going to take the stance Jedi should be relegated to a mundane look because of lore...

Jedi Knights and Consulars WOULD wear the exact same clothing which is a robe with a hood. End of Story. As such, one set for Jedi Knights and Consulars that does this with a standard brown. White top, White / Black pants. Brown Boots.

Done.

Alternatively, those that arent naive and going to stupidly argue from lore will realise customisation options are a basic component of games and Star Wars has endorsed this before.

A proper Jedi should be humble.

I WANT to look humble, but my only options are brown, brown with white, brown with some grey, oh and... brown.

unless I go back and farm cademimu for a white robe that makes me look like an 80's icon.

I have synthweaving, and my options for custom armor (from dropped schematics, without mods mind you!) are again brown, brown with white, brown with some grey, and did I mention brown?

there were some nice armor design for green/blue items (still brown, but still better), but it wouldn't make much sense to wear it at 50. a proper outfit system would help with that, but bioware had to come up with their own crappy "idea" of personal looks.

Edited by Graburr

I am not a fan of all the gear looks myself but some do look really good IMO.

The PvP gear for Jedi Knight always makes me giggle a little when I view the helmet on the set. I get it though. Jedi and Samurai play a role not very different from each other. I could go into this for the *******es who cant tell that Jedi are almost a full on carbon copy of the Japanese Samurai but this isnt the case so anyways.

I would love to see a Revan style Mask implemented for my character to have as I always thought that looked cool but I think Id have to be Sith for that and I like my Jedi over my Sith characters anyways.

Still. This is only the first set of PvP/Ops Gear. Give them time and they may come out with Cosmetic outfits for all of us.

LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) has this feature and I love it. You have your armor and then you have your cosmetic outfits you wear. They can be armor pieces you just want to have on as a cosmetic for looks only or it can be actual cosmetic gear such as fancy clothes or something. That way if you hate your armor like I sometimes do your not stuck lookign like a jackwagon till you go PvP lol.

I'm a dps sage, so I chose Force-Master's set. The headpiece is the worst headpiece I've ever seen in a game. The shadow (stalker, survivor) headgear looks fine for me.

Alright, I hide the hat, no more problems with that.

But the rest of the set is way too white. As a Dark Side Consular I'd love to see some darker alternative, Half black, half brown or something.

I agree with the OP, there are not enought colors. And the hat is hilarious. Unfortunately, Imperial gear looks better :(

Yeah the endgame gear looks terrible. PvP gear is even worse. Samurai armor for Jedi? ***.

Eh, Jedi robes are basically just a kimono. Plus, STAR WARS (ANH) is based off the Samurai movie, the Hidden Fortress. So, it's not too far fetched.

Well, what would you add that doesn't directly contradict the lore?

The color red. Or orange. Or yellow. Or various shades of green, blue, and purple. A Seer hat that doesn't look like I would decapitate my companion if I spun around too quickly. A Trooper helmet that doesn't look like you could **** it if you got drunk enough. For Jedi, a step away from the idea that they have to be wearing a brown hood, maybe an ornate neck-guard (pretty much a collar that protects you against decapitation).

Edited by ndruo