Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please return the action bars to how they were

DarkSirius

This change with not fully blacking out skills that are on still on cooldown is very ... inconvenient.

It was better when skills that are still on cooldown stay fully blacked out until they are up. Now you have to rely on a small cyan line scrolling down and when it approaches the bottom border of the skill its very difficult to tell when and if the skill is actually up as the line tends to blend in with the button border.

As a melee class this is even worse as I am constantly watching 10+ skills at once to see when they are up.

I've actually been killed a few times already because I would hit a button and move on to the next attack to find the skill I needed previously wasn't up yet, even though it looked like it was. So it didn't activate as I needed it to.

If not fully blacking them out, then perhaps some animation that "flashes" the button to grab your attention.

However, it was better when the skill stayed fully blacked out and the line scrolled down.

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 vote for changing. Bloody annoying to click few times to realize it's on CD. For meleer it even 100 times worse cause of ability bug , you can't even know it's not working because it's on cd or because of bug which was reported since beta...

Agreed - I think it was a one step forwards, two steps back change. But the step forward shouldn't be retracted, players need to know if an ability on cooldown will be executable when it becomes ready or not - especially those of us with latency that need to think 0.8 seconds into the future.

Maybe change the colour of the cooldown bar so that it contrasts more with the button frames.

This change with not fully blacking out skills that are on still on cooldown is very ... inconvenient.

It was better when skills that are still on cooldown stay fully blacked out until they are up. Now you have to rely on a small cyan line scrolling down and when it approaches the bottom border of the skill its very difficult to tell when and if the skill is actually up as the line tends to blend in with the button border.

As a melee class this is even worse as I am constantly watching 10+ skills at once to see when they are up.

I've actually been killed a few times already because I would hit a button and move on to the next attack to find the skill I needed previously wasn't up yet, even though it looked like it was. So it didn't activate as I needed it to.

If not fully blacking them out, then perhaps some animation that "flashes" the button to grab your attention.

However, it was better when the skill stayed fully blacked out and the line scrolled down.

Thanks.

Signed.

Cooldowns that are over a minute are really hard to tell if they are up because of this. The ability should stay blacked out until the CD is up so you know you can use it again. I find this extremely annoying with my CC as well because the CC lasts a minute and so does my cooldown.

I really like the look of the new GCD thing, but at the same time I can imagine how frustrating it is for you melee classes. Why don't they just make the cyan line slightly more visible? Or even change the colour to something that doesn't blend in witt the ability icons? Just some suggestions. Edited by AdamHDMI

no you fool, don't change it back to the way it was, that was broken as well. They just broke it more.

How so? The new animations are quite annoying and very subtle. Not good for melee... too many things to watch at once.

The blacked out CD's were awesome because at a quick glance you could tell which skill was ready and which was not. This is not the case now. I spend enough time staring at my action bars... I don't need to spend even more time doing the same and coming up short.

I agree that I preferred it before, but a compromise that might work better for folks who disliked the entire action bar blacking out during GCD would be to have abilities only blacked out when under their own CD. As in,

while(actionbar->gcd() == FALSE)

for(int i = 0; i < ACTION_TOTAL; i++)

{

if(action.onActionBar() == TRUE)

if(action->cd() == TRUE)

action->illuminate() = FALSE;

}

===

Disclaimer before all of the C++ enthusiasts attack me:

There're much, much more efficient ways to perform that check (SIMD, anyone?), but a) I'm still drinking my morning coffee, so my coding head isn't on yet, and b) this is meant to be indicative of a compromise solution, rather than a solution in and of itself.

Edited by DrWill

+1 vote for changing. Bloody annoying to click few times to realize it's on CD. For meleer it even 100 times worse cause of ability bug , you can't even know it's not working because it's on cd or because of bug which was reported since beta...

This. +1

I just realized it today when starting my new Assassin char. I kept trying to hit Shock or Crushing Darkness only to realize that it was on CD. Much easier on the peripherals (as I'm looking at other things besides hotbar) to see it blacked out than a faint vertical gradiant overlay.

I SO agree! That's really been bugging me. On the things with longer cds it's hard to tell if the light colored bar is totally gone or not. I can't tell you how many times I tried activating an ability that wasn't quite ready yet. I don't know why they would even change that. It was much better with it being blacked out. You could easily tell what was ready and what wasn't.

Aside from that, I do like the new visual displays they added to Guard. And I thought they said they were adding visuals for taunts with this patch too but I didn't notice any...

Edited by DarrkLore

Agreed. Please revert this to how it was before 1.1. If an ability cannot be used, it should be greyed out. Simple as that.

Also, the camera resetting has changed. It used to be that a quick press of any direction key would snap the camera to your character's back. Now it moves back slowly according to how long you hold the key. This slows down combat and has resulted in me wandering off in the wrong direction a number of times.

Please revert that as well.

Edited by Ellri

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.