The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Expectations?

Rowen_Darkstar

I'm coming here with no experience with this class. I've gotten annoyed with my Guardian's squishiness since hitting Hoth and it hasn't gotten much better at 42. There are virtually no Vanguards in my guild and was thinking of filling that slot.

However, I wanted some input from you fine folks on any issues while leveling. I've seen a youtube video where a Vanguard (Shield spec) was able to solo a +2 quest on Balmorra. I didn't have trouble on my Guardian until Hoth though.

What I'm looking for in a class is something that can hit max level enjoyably, with out needed to ask for help while doing it. Also, I love to pvp so being able to stand my ground and feel like Im contributing there would be a huge bonus.

So, whats you guys take on the Vanguard. Would it meet my expectations? or would Commando be the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Thanks for the reply. I'm just afraid of getting to Hoth again and finding out the class isn't what I expected. I've been trying to decide between Vanguard and Commando and like what I see but want to concentrate on one first.

I'm actually leveling my second Vanguard, levels 1-10 are amazingly stupid (so commando is as well) but once you actually BECOME a Vanguard it's GG. On the second planet (Taris) you get your healer pet and than as shield spec the world is literally yours.

Also, keep an eye on the forums, in PvP going full shield spec isn't usually the best idea, I generally put points into it from 10-32 and than I go into Assault spec. I also wear DPS gear with a shield generator in PvP. I find the spec and generator are enough survivability, especially with the state of shielding right now in PvP (being near useless except to proc free stock strikes). Try these specs out, these are my personal favorites.

Stock Strike Oriented spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbbRboMZZbIbbdh.1

HiB Oriented Spec AKA Carolina Parakeet: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbbRboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

I find this play-style gives me incredibly utility in Warzones, allows me to easily tank in PvE (even HMs with a good healer), and is just incredibly incredibly fun. Also, grapple is the greatest thing the world. I only play powertech and vanguard now, screw lightsabers.

Just a side note for ya, I also have a 41 Guardian who I quit in the middle of Hoth :) I rolled a Vanguard right than and there and I only went back to him recently to try out force spec, it was fantastic for burst damage in PvP but was not very fun in my personal opinion (after playing a Vanguard to 50 that is :) )

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I did go Vanguard and I'm loving it. I pvped at 11, to get that first pvp quest done and found I actually did decent. Now I'm 14 already, have done will in pvp and loving the class!

Now I just have to check the specs you showed me and work on a rotation thats comfotable and fluid and Ill be good to go!

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I did go Vanguard and I'm loving it. I pvped at 11, to get that first pvp quest done and found I actually did decent. Now I'm 14 already, have done will in pvp and loving the class!

Now I just have to check the specs you showed me and work on a rotation thats comfotable and fluid and Ill be good to go!

Thanks again guys!

I find the key is weaving in and out of the 4-10m range that your abilities allow.

I'm coming here with no experience with this class. I've gotten annoyed with my Guardian's squishiness since hitting Hoth and it hasn't gotten much better at 42. There are virtually no Vanguards in my guild and was thinking of filling that slot.

However, I wanted some input from you fine folks on any issues while leveling. I've seen a youtube video where a Vanguard (Shield spec) was able to solo a +2 quest on Balmorra. I didn't have trouble on my Guardian until Hoth though.

What I'm looking for in a class is something that can hit max level enjoyably, with out needed to ask for help while doing it. Also, I love to pvp so being able to stand my ground and feel like Im contributing there would be a huge bonus.

So, whats you guys take on the Vanguard. Would it meet my expectations? or would Commando be the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any information!

I think I heard the perfecrt reply to your question last night from a guild mate. She has a healer as a main, and did so in WoW also( I think), and she has played the other classes on the pub side.Trooper was her last alt to make, as she was not really looking forward to it.

She chatted last night about how much fun the trooper was and how powerful she felt as she went through the missions. She said it best by saying : "WOW, I feel like a real bad a-*-*" :D

To which I replied : "pew pew" lol

Have fun stormin da castle new vanguard ;)

As for your Guardian, try to update his gear. I had a similar experience when I got to Belsavis and went from tearing through crap to getting my *** beat. Updated my gear (hilt, armoring slots, etc.) and went back and owned everything. Keeping up to date is important.

That all being said I rolled a Vanguard alt and my draw hit the floor. So much more fluid and awesome than the Guardian. I'm still keeping the Guardian as my main (for now), but I'm teetering on the edge of just retiring it and pouring my full time into the Van. So much awesome in just a single class.

I really enjoy my Vanguard, personally. I like tanking with him, and he's even fun in pvp.

With my healing companion I can take on elites and even the occasional champion, and in flashpoints healers have a pretty easy time keeping me alive (and when my health is low, I have a handful of 1-2 minute cooldowns that give the healer some breathing room to get my health back up).

In pvp, shielding others from damage is more important than actually dealing damage yourself, so you do more of a support role than a damaging role, but I thoroughly enjoy myself. I try to get as many "protection" points as possible by using my taunts and guardian shield whenever possible.