Request to unbind the " \ " key.

mlsker

I am making a request about this since some patches alredy arrived and they still didnt fix the problem with the keybind " \ ".

I am very frustrated with the fact that i press the key so many times by mistake and also that it doenst only open a normal window, but it opens the bug report window and that you gotta click with the mouse to close it.

Not just that, but i like to think that it is not just me that uses the " \ " key for something else (in my case i use it for skills) it really bother me that i cant bind it to something else.

Who is with me?

This has been answered by Bioware, they do not intend to remove that annoying 'feature', the key-character is different on different keyboards-setups though, for me it's §, the key next to 1 (the spam-key).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because actually typing correctly and using your keys accurately is simply too much to ask of you.

You're very silly.

Do I need to spell it out for you?

Obviously I do. I use ctrl as the modifier for a lot of my main abilities. In other words I use ctrl+e for a main attack, ctrl+r as a bind for a main attack etc. Now, my movement keys are the standard WASD. So every now and then as part of my combat cycle its basically inevitable that I will hit ctrl (my modifier) and A (my move left key) at the same time causing an unintended command. And its something that I cannot unbind, or re-assign. This is just silly whatever way you spin it.

This might not be an issue for a clicker (in fact it certainly is not), or players who play at a snail's pace, but its an issue for me. I am a competitive MMO player and have been for years and this is a serious issue for me.

I agree. There really shouldn't be any keys that are hard bind. After all we can hit the icon at the top of our screen if we want to put in a report.

I hit this key all the time. Mine is located above my enter key and I'm always hitting it with my pinky nail.

Please make it so we can change this.

In my contry (Norway), it is the key "|".

It is the key to the left of the number 1 on the keyboard, not the keypad.

That is quite annoying, especially if you are in the middel of a fight (especially PvP) and you miss hitting 1 and hit | instead. You have to spam hit esc to get out of the bug report. At times it actually makes you lose the fight.

I think this has been an issue since early Beta where beta testers have asked for removing that keybinding.

How hard can it be to remove a keybinding?

Edited by Mamono

This has been answered by Bioware, they do not intend to remove that annoying 'feature', the key-character is different on different keyboards-setups though, for me it's §, the key next to 1 (the spam-key).

If they indend to keep subscribers they should listen to they customers.

I don't think there's one person that really requires this hardbinding (and if they did then soft-binding would allow it).

But there's an awful lot of people royally annoyed because the CS window keeps popping up in combat for them.

Thing like that help people quit.

No I'm sure it's intended.

However that doesn't stop it from being plain stupid and highly annoying.

Nor does it stop them from changing it for those very reasons.

It is not intended and has been acknowledged on another thread almost 4 weeks old. Its also staggering that it hasn't been fixed.

Its an oversight and its very obvious when you see that the command:

*Enable Sound On/Off* has a keybind that CAN be changed in the preferences list.

and

*Enable Ambience On/Off* has a keybind that CANNOT be changed in the preferences list.

It is not intended and has been acknowledged on another thread almost 4 weeks old. Its also staggering that it hasn't been fixed.

Its an oversight and its very obvious when you see that the command:

*Enable Sound On/Off* has a keybind that CAN be changed in the preferences list.

and

*Enable Ambience On/Off* has a keybind that CANNOT be changed in the preferences list.

Interesting.

There's hope then.

In my contry (Norway), it is the key "|".

It is the key to the left of the number 1 on the keyboard, not the keypad.

That is quite annoying, especially if you are in the middel of a fight (especially PvP) and you miss hitting 1 and hit | instead. You have to spam hit esc to get out of the bug report. At times it actually makes you lose the fight.

I think this has been an issue since early Beta where beta testers have asked for removing that keybinding.

How hard can it be to remove a keybinding?

It's almost the same in Germany, but here it's the ^ key (but it's exactly where you describe your | key is). Some keybinds work for that key, while others do not, I put my map there, when I accidentally hit that key in combat I can close the map by simply press that key again (but I would like to have on that spot a more useful ability for combat instead of the map, but it seams that only stuff that opens a window can be put there to suppress the costumer service window at moment).

You can rebind it to expand and hide your companions action bar

Edit* Sorry I seethat you were joking.

Unfortunately you can't rebind some of these keys and that's why there's a problem.

Although I realised my beloved "Ambience Off/On" wasn't on the keybind list, I tried the 'workaround' of binding it manually to another less intrusive function, even though I wanted it simply unbound. It won't work. The binds are permanent, and even if you assign ctrl+a to something else, it will still also turn ambience on or off as you press the keys.

Here is the thread with the linked yellow response.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=83459

Edited by Larlar

It's almost the same in Germany, but here it's the ^ key (but it's exactly where you describe your | key is). Some keybinds work for that key, while others do not, I put my map there, when I accidentally hit that key in combat I can close the map by simply press that key again (but I would like to have on that spot a more useful ability for combat instead of the map, but it seams that only stuff that opens a window can be put there to suppress the costumer service window at moment).

Aside from the map (wich does something), you can also bind it to switch to quickpane 1 (that is, bring the buttonpanal 1 to the original button-row). Unless you change the quickbutton-row (noone I know ever does that aside from "switch to uneeded stuff when out of combat, then quickly switch back") that means that the "^" (German keyboard) has no function at all for you.

First thing I do on new alts, unbind this key.

Oh, I'm at work and for the love of god, I can't remember what the keybinding I'm talking of is actually called, but I think my lengthy description was sufficient.

TL;DR Try to bind it to different stuff. It can be bound to some functions, but not many.

EDIT: Found a video. I bound it to "Quickslot -> Quickslot Page 1

Edited by Ashphael

Here is a tool that lets you remap your keys. for UK and norwegian keyboards this bug report button is right next to 1. the most spammed key so its really frustrating. This tool however lets you change things around.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1293613#post1293613

Yeah, it's a good work around, but I don't want to have to move the gearbox in my car so it doesn't stall, I want my car not to stall in the first place (as it should be).

And I don't want to have to do that on multiple computers just so they can play SWTOR without this insanely annoying and ill-thoughtout function. :(

Yeah, it's a good work around, but I don't want to have to move the gearbox in my car so it doesn't stall, I want my car not to stall in the first place (as it should be).

And I don't want to have to do that on multiple computers just so they can play SWTOR without this insanely annoying and ill-thoughtout function. :(

Totally agree.

I used to bind my CC break ability to by backspace key when I was doing PvE. Then when I started doing PvP I noticed myself hitting this \ key over and over and having a ticket opening up in the middle of a warzone.

I have since changed my CC break ability to the B key to make it quicker to hit and to prevent me from doing this again XD

I used to bind my CC break ability to by backspace key when I was doing PvE. Then when I started doing PvP I noticed myself hitting this \ key over and over and having a ticket opening up in the middle of a warzone.

I have since changed my CC break ability to the B key to make it quicker to hit and to prevent me from doing this again XD

Yeah there's ways around it.

But the best way around it would be able to re-bind it/unbind it in the first place. :)

There is no reason at all that any key should be hard bound.

The key next to 1 and above TAB for the UK layout is the ` key.

It is not bound to anything and we cannot bind it to anything which is really annoying for me as i bind it for use in most games i play.

These issues were brought up in beta many times.

In the UK the \ key is on the left between Shift and Z. . . You can imagine the frustration not being able to change this. This is just another simple yet important game breaking thing which will make me stop playing this game. I am hanging on my a thread.

I am making a request about this since some patches alredy arrived and they still didnt fix the problem with the keybind " \ ".

I am very frustrated with the fact that i press the key so many times by mistake and also that it doenst only open a normal window, but it opens the bug report window and that you gotta click with the mouse to close it.

Not just that, but i like to think that it is not just me that uses the " \ " key for something else (in my case i use it for skills) it really bother me that i cant bind it to something else.

Who is with me?

**** Yes!

Ive been requesting this since beta, something that should be extremely simple, and they have yet to do anything. Starting to level a tank now so I really need this as its the key I use to tab-target (im left handed). Seriously, why let us keybind the \ key if its not going to work.

/agree

This is really the only major problem I have with SWTOR right now. Its so close to enter that when I hit I am out of commission for at least 5 seconds since it takes 3 clicks which are all over the place to get out of it. There is NO reason to have a bug ticket binded to a key.

They know it, and if they could, they would change it.

But the developer, sitting in a top secret garage somewhere in Kazakhstan, is obviously confused by the spam from the game director saying "change tilde!", "change \", "change ½", since he is working on some Cyrillic keyboard.