Melee companions still using Aim attribute.

EzoEo

Taano, Yuun and Qeyzn all use the Aim attribute. Is this intended ?

As it is you can't upgrade them to modded weapons as hilts only add strength etc.

As some of these are tanks(Qyzen, Tanno) they should really use strength and Endurance.

Agreed.

Rather than changing the characters, which would break a lot of things, perhaps add a weapon hilt that has aim on it so we can use it to mod weapons.

Adding an item will most likely break less things than changing a character's primary attribute.

It is fairly simply. There are two hypes of heavy armor in game. Aim gear and strength gear. The two types have two different aesthetics. Aim gear is very soldier-esque. While strength gear is cosmetically designed for force users.

Companions like Qyzen would look fairly odd in a robe and would more appropriately wear Trooper looking gear. Instead of making another class of armor for each slot, head, chest, legs, feet, bracers, that looked like Trooper/Bounty Hunter gear but used strength, Bioware decided change one equipment slot, weapons, to use aim.

the weapons issue is still a problem, though. my poor Torian. he's 4/4 Rakata gear, all columi implants and earpiece and offhand, he does more DPS in a hard mode than most pugs...

...and he's stuck with an unupgradeable, unmoddable crafted techstaff which is his best possible in game because techblades and techstaves don't drop out in the world...

This was a really weird change they made late in beta and while i understand they did it because there are no aim hilts in the game, it really does gimp our melee companions (who don't use sabers).

Edited by Diora

All we really need is moddable Techblades and Techstaves. The aesthetic reasoning is totally valid. As a tester who once had my Bounty Hunter's companion Torian Cadera looking like a cyborg juggernaut, considering who he is, I am glad he wears aim now.

Alexis

*smiles*

The basic reasoning is ease of gearing. They do need to fix the weapon problems for companions though. Hopefully they will just add a vendor selling end-game Custom Weapons for each companion, locked to the ones that can use it so players cant.

The pattern is thus:

For companions that show the armor you equip on them, their Primary Stat is whichever one comes on the gear with the appropriate look. So for Troopers, for example, all of the companions are members of Havoc Squad, so they need to look like Troopers. Thus, they all use aim(and consequently have the easiest time of any class for gearing companions >.>).

For companions that do NOT show the armor you equip on them, their Primary Stat is the same as your class' primary stat. This just makes it easier to gear them. Hand-me-downs for the win(stupid dirty troopers...).

Lastly, for anything called a droid, they use Aim. This is just done so that there is only one type of Droid gear and you don't have to hunt through and find the right stats. I believe you can still get different secondary stats, but they are all Aim.

Being a 400 armstech i don't have any issue outfitting any companion in level 50 purples. also they are all over the GTN for level 50 weapons. as far moddable weapons you are not looking hard enough check the comm vendors my companions have gone through them many times just changing mods.

the game is fine for companions and there gear. i don't have any issues.

Being a 400 armstech i don't have any issue outfitting any companion in level 50 purples. also they are all over the GTN for level 50 weapons. as far moddable weapons you are not looking hard enough check the comm vendors my companions have gone through them many times just changing mods.

the game is fine for companions and there gear. i don't have any issues.

I think we have an example of "didn't understand the post, didn't read it, posting anyways"

The concerns are thus :

There are no orange weapons for aim/stam melee companions (at least from 1-49).

There are no hilts that have aim/stam

These weapons drop very rarely, and as far as abundant on the GTN, not on my server which has a decent population and I wager not on yours either.

Being a 400 weaponcrafter is moot.

So, dispensing with the disinformation above, those are the facts.

Totally aside, I think the stat system in swtor is crap. They scrambled to absurdly oversimplify stats, so much that melee damage from a sith assassin comes from willpower. That's just garbage. Why bother having stats if you're going to make every class have one primary stat?

Seems like they should have not bothered with Cunning/aim and strength/willpower and instead just had a "health" and "power" stat on each piece of gear. That's really what they have now.

Yeah I recently started up a consular and ran into this on Coruscant when I couldn't find a new tech blade for Qyzen on the commendations vendor. If it was that big of a deal I would just prefer they did like they did with Khem Val and lock Qyzen into one look and just let him keep str/end as his stats, then just give him some companion kits to alter his look. As it stands they stick you with a gimped tank as there are no good weapons for him and having aim as his major stat just seems silly, that was one of the very first things I noticed when I got him and had a good discussion in general chat about it and the consensus was that yes, that is freaking stupid.

Seriously though, if they're going to leave it as is they need to add mod'able weapons for characters like Qyzen so they are equal to other companions like Khem Val.

All we really need is moddable Techblades and Techstaves. The aesthetic reasoning is totally valid. As a tester who once had my Bounty Hunter's companion Torian Cadera looking like a cyborg juggernaut, considering who he is, I am glad he wears aim now.

Alexis

*smiles*

I Just dropped a T1 (with a T2 level color crystal) Vibroblade suited for a tank in HM Kaon... Perhaps other companion weapons drop there? I guess it should be tested, but it seems quite possible...

would be nice...if these companions could use Vibroblades. They can't. they can only use this other thing called TECHblades...which don't drop in the world.

Even if they could, there are no aim hilts to turn a moddable vibroblade into something that would be helpful for them.