No UI mods?

djwhitfield

Hey!

I played WoW for about two years. But don't worry! I am not one of these WoW guys who complains about SWTOR ect. But I do love SWTOR alot. But I heard that Bioware is not allowing UI mods into the game. Is this true? Because I loved to mod my UI loads in WoW :(!

Sounds to me like you are complaining about SWTOR, and using WoW as your reference point to complain from.

Edited by Andryah

The game is easy enough without the nerfs

If you can’t be successful in this game without UI mods, you should probably try Hello Kitty on line, and master that before coming back to SWTOR

Dont think you really know what this is about. Try think a bit more on this. They are in pach 1.2 ADDING the ability to move the UI around and scaling it. That is an example on a UI mod that is coming.

Now tell me, how is it that scaling the UI is making the game more easy? Are you calling the ability to move the UI around a "nerf" to the game?

Or just the ability to change the "look" of the ui? I would love to have a black "more star wars" like UI then the "Star Trek wannabee UI" they use today.

Or what about chaning the look of the map? Using a square map in stead of a circle? What kinda nerf is that to the game? Or maybe more action bars? Not all like to play th game by clicking items from your inventory when you need it, or skills from the "skill book" when you need it.

Please tell us what UI mod is a nerf to the game. Just enlighten us with your toughts.

• 10 months later...

Nobody is stating a need for an addon. Each person has a unique preference for how they'd like to view information and interact with a UI.

+1 for UI addon support. I'll roll a healer as soon as there's a "Clique" equivalent. Having to change targets to heal someone felt more clunky every year I got more used to click+modifier unit frame casting in WoW. Clique with properly configured, custom unit frames, made bloated healer addons like "Healbot" and "Vuhdo" obsolete imo.

And a way to view power-up/auras and CD's as bar timers. I loved "ForteX" for its customize options and since it supports every class well, my UI can remain basically uniform across all my character's UI's.

Custom unit frames with health/power bars color-coded by class would also be sweet. <3 ShadowedUnitFrames.

Customizing sound effects for event triggers is REALLY helpful. Many scrolling battle-text addons have this feature (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text), as well as bar-timer, ability-related addons like "ForteX."

Guess I'll just keep dreaming. :p

Edited by xRUFUSx
one more thing...

I don't really have a problem with the UI in SWTOR. But I think its just a shame that I can't make it look the way I want it too like I could in WoW. Yet again sorry for the comparison. I don't like comparing it to WoW ahaha :p!

No I don't want mod ui. We don't need another boss mod that pretty much tell people when to move, what ability the boss is about to do, and so forth. Not allowing a boss mod like ui makes raids harder since people have to pay attention and become familiar with the boss instead of just looking at the warnings from the boss mod. The same is true with a threat meter and even damage meter. There also mods used in pvp that tell you what ability is used on and even go so far as point out who is a healer. All these mods trivialize both pve and pvp. I'm failry confidant wow if they could go back would not allow mods to be use to the extent they have been used. Now if you want simple changes to ui like different bars or a different cursor ect, then I'm fine, but I don't want to see mods that help in pve or pvp.

I don't care about DBM or crap like that.

I want to have a custom looking UI.

Yes, DBM is crap and I hated the fact each major patch would force me to upadate it along with every mod I have been using in wow. What's worst is when a mod you used is no longer being developed and the current version wow won't function with it.

Edited by Knockerz

Nobody is stating a need for an addon. Each person has a unique preference for how they'd like to view information and interact with a UI.

+1 for UI addon support. I'll roll a healer as soon as there's a "Clique" equivalent. Having to change targets to heal someone felt more clunky every year I got more used to click+modifier unit frame casting in WoW. Clique with properly configured, custom unit frames, made bloated healer addons like "Healbot" and "Vuhdo" obsolete imo.

And a way to view power-up/auras and CD's as bar timers. I loved "ForteX" for its customize options and since it supports every class well, my UI can remain basically uniform across all my character's UI's.

Custom unit frames with health/power bars color-coded by class would also be sweet. <3 ShadowedUnitFrames.

Customizing sound effects for event triggers is REALLY helpful. Many scrolling battle-text addons have this feature (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text), as well as bar-timer, ability-related addons like "ForteX."

Guess I'll just keep dreaming. :p

Necro much?

Yes, DBM is crap and I hated the fact each major patch would force me to upadate it along with every mod I have been using in wow. What's worst is when a mod you used is no longer being developed and the current version wow won't function with it.

Auctioneer had that problem a lot.

Bioware could make their game that much better by looking at the modding community, then making that functionality inherent to this game. I'd like to be able to split stacks, set a base price, match lowest seller etc. via the GTN that's in the game now, rather than get a bit of third party software that does that for all of one patch before it breaks.

the only thing i dislike is not being able to see the target of your target, its something that is pretty nessacary, especially for tanking and stuff

Target of target IS in there. If you have the interface editor set to show all frames, you can find the target of target. It is on the right hand side where the default targets pane would be. You have to check the enable button in the editor like with the extra bars.

Not sure if someone else posted this.

Some people like the Default SWTOR UI simply because it doesn't have Recount or Omen.

I know it's hard to believe, but people used to play and succeed at these games without these crutches by actually working as a team - totally shocking I know :eek:

Oh yea, people got along just fine. Primarily by begging for dungeon and raid nerfs on the forums or by dragging along a few dead weight players in each group.

Damage meters and threat meters and such are just analysis tools. They just let you collect and analyze data from different fights so you can more effectively strategize. It allows groups to achieve higher levels of coordination which allows the developers to create even more challenging content.

The people who don't like them are the ones that don't want to learn how to play the game. They want to just keep dicking about without learning to properly build threat or how ability rotations work. They want to be able to keep doing things the wrong way and let everyone else drag them through content.