The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Commando changing to Powertech

lKurganl

I have a level 50 Gunnery Trooper, but sadly my guild kind of split up, so I came with a few to Imp side and am looking to roll a BH. I never gave Vanguard or Powertech a look really, but was watching some PvP videos and it seems very impressive even as a DPS spec, and it didn't seem all that melee based, was nice to see PVP where you don't have to stop to cast everything. I'm wondering how close the damage seems between Advanced Prototype and Arsenal spec for Mercs is. The playstyle of the PT really interested me, now I feel a bit torn, I really enjoyed Gunnery spec, but AP spec seemed like a lot of fun.

The general consensus is that while AP has some nice utility it just can't really compare with the firepower of the pyrotech.

Doesn't mean you can't play as an AP, and I recommend you (and everyone else) give both trees a shot as you should be able to do well with both, but...in terms of raw damage output I'd say Pyro has the advantage.

Interesting, I tried the far right equiv to that on my Trooper and hated it, ammo seems so sporadic, I could be going along just fine than drop 75% of my bar when my rotation came back around. Maybe it plays out differently as a PT or Van? I'm assuming as Pyro you end up pretty much being ranged and not using melee abilities at all.

Yes you do have ranged abilities, but you can't play this class at range 100% of the time. Rocket Punch/Stockstrike is one of the hardest hitting abilities we have and also it resets High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot. So don't expect to play the Powertech the way you played your Commando or you will be disappointed. We do best at 10 meters or closer. Edited by TernumM

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be full fledged range, I like how the PA tree synergizes, I haven't really looked at Pyro, but PA seems it would do great range and then great at closing the gap for melee.

But normally in past MMO's I am usually the top damage dealer out of the group of people I roll with, and I don't want to let them down. I know Bioware talked about all DPS specs being close, but I just had to ask you guys that have actually played the class and the spec.

Interesting, I tried the far right equiv to that on my Trooper and hated it, ammo seems so sporadic, I could be going along just fine than drop 75% of my bar when my rotation came back around. Maybe it plays out differently as a PT or Van? I'm assuming as Pyro you end up pretty much being ranged and not using melee abilities at all.

Pyrotech can have heat issues if you don't properly manage it properly that is true.

Once you figure it out though it becomes second nature and you shouldn't have issues, and when you do more than likely vent heat will be up.

AP however has no heat issues at all.

I have a level 50 Gunnery Trooper, but sadly my guild kind of split up, so I came with a few to Imp side and am looking to roll a BH. I never gave Vanguard or Powertech a look really, but was watching some PvP videos and it seems very impressive even as a DPS spec, and it didn't seem all that melee based, was nice to see PVP where you don't have to stop to cast everything. I'm wondering how close the damage seems between Advanced Prototype and Arsenal spec for Mercs is. The playstyle of the PT really interested me, now I feel a bit torn, I really enjoyed Gunnery spec, but AP spec seemed like a lot of fun.

Instead of launching a grenade out of a rifle as our first special move, we launch a missile out of our wrist thanks to our armor. Oh, and rocket punch is really jetpack-powered Shoryuken/Tiger Punch. Shield Tech Powertechs are very survivable and even though they are mostly 10m range or less with rocketpunch, we get a lot of elemental damage. Plus Rail shot can have three points from AP invested to ignore 60% of the target's armor.

This is the build mentioned for shield tech PvE in the guide up top: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

Speaking of which, be sure to check that guide out.

If you look at the far right tree closely, the main difference in talents from Mercenary to Powertech (or in this case Commando to Powertech) is the talents that support Rocket Punch and Flame Burst are changed to support Power Shot and Unload. So I would imagine the trees are going to have pretty similar resource management despite being from different base classes. I've also just heard the Pyrotechs say that they can sometimes hit an unlucky streak without railshot procs and it can be disappointing.

If you didn't like assault as a commando I don't think it's likely you'll enjoy pyrotech as a Powertech. But who knows? I can't bring myself to make a Vanguard because I enjoy the Powertech animations way too much.

If you look at the far right tree closely, the main difference in talents from Mercenary to Powertech (or in this case Commando to Powertech) is the talents that support Rocket Punch and Flame Burst are changed to support Power Shot and Unload. So I would imagine the trees are going to have pretty similar resource management despite being from different base classes. I've also just heard the Pyrotechs say that they can sometimes hit an unlucky streak without railshot procs and it can be disappointing.

If you didn't like assault as a commando I don't think it's likely you'll enjoy pyrotech as a Powertech. But who knows? I can't bring myself to make a Vanguard because I enjoy the Powertech animations way too much.

Flame sweep = awesome. Jetpack up, spin around while using dual wrist-mounted flamethrowers. Hell. Yes.