Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR and Subscibtion based games. is the end near?

DarthTenor

I had a lifetime subscription in LotRO. I quit the day they announced they were going Free-to-play and adding microtransactions. If the industry goes this route, I will never play an MMO again.

Comparing a single player game that never (or rarely) adds new content, that may or may not offer bug or content fixes, is really fairly silly. KOTOR was a great game, but it is hardly comparable to an MMO in scope and content.

You quit playing because the company wouldn't charge you anymore? Hmmm that makes sense, I am offered product for free therefore I refuse it.

Logic my friend, this was the most epic logic fail ever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You quit playing because the company wouldn't charge you anymore? Hmmm that makes sense, I am offered product for free therefore I refuse it.

Logic my friend, this was the most epic logic fail ever.

Or it could be because that would either:

1. Lead to a lack of new content

2. Bring in new players that can now play without their parents credit card

3. He's pissed that he/she payed for the game just to have it go P2W (I was)

There's probably more reasons but there's a few.

Edited by rainbowsix

Or it could be because that would either:

1. Lead to a lack of new content

2. Bring in new players that can now play without theirs parents credit card

3. He's pissed that he/she payed for the game just to have it go P2W (I was)

There's probably more reasons but there's a few.

If he had a lifetime subscription he would likely receive post-F2P benefits that freeloaders dont. In fact that's the most common retention method used by MMO companies. Once you go F2P, you still want to retain the old playerbase because no one is going to join a dead MMO.

It's the illusion of popularity. "If many people play it, it must be good"

Either way I can't wait for TOR to go F2P.

I will buy expansion packs and I might pay for certain micro-transactions. I just don't like to be told when to pay and how much.

They've actually said they have no plans whatsoever of going P2W. Anyways, they are supposedly working on a P2W just for the people who like them. It's supposed to run alongside this game.

I just use the $5/hr for entertainment rule. (Movies are roughly $10/2 hrs of entertainment.)

So with most games I have no problem playing 12 or more hours to recoup the cost of the game, then if I think I'll play 3 or more hours a month, I have no issue supporting an mmo.

I usually let my subscription run a month without playing before I figure I'll shut it off.

So, if you think you're done with swtor, done enough that you won't touch it at least 3 hours in the next month, then by all means cancel. I for one think mmos are a great source of cheap entertainment.

Edited by RasputinTS

I just use the $5/hr for entertainment rule. (Movies are roughly $10/2 hrs of entertainment.)

So with most games I have no problem playing 12 or more hours to recoup the cost of the game, then if I think I'll play 3 or more hours a month, I have no issue supporting an mmo.

I usually let my subscription run a month without playing before I figure I'll shut it off.

So, if you think you're done with swtor, done enough that you won't touch it at least 3 hours in the next month, then by all means cancel. I for one think mmos are a great source of cheap entertainment.

What is THAT?! Logic?!

Don't bring that here, these people don't like that. Math is too hard.

I have played MMO's for over the last decade from EQ to WoW and now TOR. If I were to factor in my total out of pocket costs on mmo's compared to my time spent playing it would be pennies an hour. I've seen friends and coworkers spend in one night out drinking more than an mmo costs me for 4-6 months.

I understand that for some the money could be an issue.

Either way its a personal choice. So far I really enjoy this game and hope that it continues to entertain, and if it does the monthly fee is something that I don't mind.

whether you pay $15 a month or pay $60 every other month for a new game is up to you. Me personally id rather only pay $15 a month instead of buying a new game every other month. much cheaper.

My thoughts exactly, though occasionally there's more to it than "Just this one game or these few here?"

Edited by rainbowsix

So let me get this straight:

You're saying that people with jobs are more willing to simply throw money at something without regard to what that money is actually paying for?

If what you're saying is true, I need to set up a fund. I'll call it "The Best Time Ever: Rainbow Bazooka Edition" and set up a subscription service for it.

What's the fund for? Don't you worry about that! Your money is being put to use!

I'm bound to make MILLIONS!

You're thinking small. You should be thinking ENRON money. People with jobs threw their money away for the promise that their money was being put to use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.