Tank spc - PvP - Shadow vs Guardian

ACZedo

I'm honestly stuck on what one to keep leveling. At the moment I have a shadow at 20 and a guardian at 20.

End game will be mainly pvp'ing with my pocket sage healer. Id honestly just like to keep us alive in warzones and open pvp. I'm leaning towards guardian but I'm curious if you guys have any reason why not to and move forward with the shadow? Force pull seems pretty awesome.

I play Guardian tank with a pocket healer Scoundrel. My friends (they are a couple) played together from 1->50 as shadow tank and sage healer. Both are completely viable. In PvP as long as you can keep people taunted and off your healer you will find yourself lasting a long time against multiple opponents. It took 5 people a significant amount of time to take my pocket healer and myself down in voidstar once, and when I say significant I mean it started when the first door had a bomb on it and we finally died after the second door had a plant on it for a few seconds.

Currently however it seems Shadow has better damage and AoE tanking ability. This can be overcome if you are willing to persevere as Guardian but I would definately say Shadow has the easier time tanking in the current state of the game.

On another side note, I think in terms of class quests it would be more interesting if you go Guardian so you can both see each others stories and don't have to redo parts two times, or split up and do them if you are both Consular (Shadow and Sage) classes.

Edited by Angof

Guardian is the better pvp tank from what i've seen.

In a situation as described above, when you are with a healer against multiple dps, the guardian has way more tools to use to survive and keep the healer alive.

Guardian leap - 20% damage reduction for both the healer and guardian.

Aoe stun/Aoe slow - healer being focused use this to allow the healer to get space and heal.

More cooldowns to use on the guardian. And various other single target cc's to stop burst dps.

Shadow might be more dps and have stealth which is obviously nice, but for guarding players stealth becomes useless.

Guardian is also better than shadow for hutball. Cant really stop a good guardian from scoring if he's backed up by a decent team....hell even alone a guardian is hard to stop from scoring.

Guardian is the better pvp tank from what i've seen.

In a situation as described above, when you are with a healer against multiple dps, the guardian has way more tools to use to survive and keep the healer alive.

Guardian leap - 20% damage reduction for both the healer and guardian.

Aoe stun/Aoe slow - healer being focused use this to allow the healer to get space and heal.

More cooldowns to use on the guardian. And various other single target cc's to stop burst dps.

Shadow might be more dps and have stealth which is obviously nice, but for guarding players stealth becomes useless.

Guardian is also better than shadow for hutball. Cant really stop a good guardian from scoring if he's backed up by a decent team....hell even alone a guardian is hard to stop from scoring.

I would argue shadow is by far the better PvP tank b/c it deals like 2x the damage of guardian. Not only does Shadow have better dps output but the ability transitioning is tons more fluid and easier to manage. Shadow also has better escape mechanisms. The only thing that Gaurdian has going for it as a tank is its cc(which is less usefull if you cant kill your opponant to begin with). Overall IMO vangaurd > shadow > gaurdian.

I hate shadows and yes, that's jealousy hate.

Lets see: they can guard, amazing cc, tank, stealth, sprint, CC immunity, aoe knockback all while doing x2 my dmg in warzones.

It's no surprise I see 5-8 inquisitors every warzone. The base class is just inherently overpowered in just about every facet of player vs player.

. Overall IMO vangaurd > shadow > gaurdian.

Yup, in pve I agree.

PvP-wise, Shadows are much more useful in warzones than vanguards. The ability to stealth and sprint is unmatched in all three warzone game types. .

But Guardians keep people alive in PvP much more efficiency than Shadows or Vanguards if they're spec'd correctly. I can keep up a healing scoundrel/sage/commando with nearly an entire team focusing them by spamming taunt, CC and guardian leap. That is where a Guardian shines and healers will love you for it.

Edited by TheLakers