Why is every down time 4+ hours?

Voqar

Can't you people do a quick patch in a reasonable amount of time?

This is the latest MMORPG. It isn't breaking new ground and this isn't 10 years ago.

Games like Rift manage to be down for one hour or less to deploy major hotfixes.

Other games from even years are down and back up again in no time.

How does it take so long to simply update some code and verify it?

Your processes for doing this must be truly crap if you can't manage to be at least as efficient at it as those who came before you, let alone improve on the process.

Downtime is going to happen but the length of downtime for what should seemingly be routine stuff is pretty crazy.

People have figured it out. Seems others haven't figured out that a company will do maintenance with the least amount of players are on at one time to lessen the impact. A window is given to players in case it goes the full length of the window. It doesn't always.

And yes, I live in the US and wouldn't mind emergency/regular patches being done at the same times they are for our EU friends.

Why does it matter? Would you rather the US get a bug fix and stable server before you or at the same time as you?

I never understood why US servers in WoW get patches a day before EU servers. Its like we get an unfair advantage...at least everyone gets everything at the same time here.

Why does it matter? Would you rather the US get a bug fix and stable server before you or at the same time as you?

I never understood why US servers in WoW get patches a day before EU servers. Its like we get an unfair advantage...at least everyone gets everything at the same time here.

And yes, I live in the US and wouldn't mind emergency/regular patches being done at the same times they are for our EU friends.

well you woud lose 1 evening of playtime every patch.:eek:

lets say you come home from work start up the pc and find out you can play from 16.30 to 22.00 every patch.

a good downtime for the servers woud be like from 00.00 hour until 12.00hour.

when the kids need to go to skool and peeps with a job go to work.;)

yes i'd rather americans get it first if it doesnt eat into my gaming prime time. i dont get much time to play a game i pay to play and would actually like to play it.

other companies dont have much trouble figuring this out so i'd expect it to be common practise for Bioware.

Edited by darkehawke

It would be great if they gave us back our days of lost gaming becaouse of the downtimes of the servers :(

I would stand behind patching with all my heart, but now.. 2 days of gaming - 2 days of patching. more than 10 days in the month. downtimes sheduled for US Time, not european, so I come back from work and see nothing :(

Flip side:

We get screwed over by bugs that manifest after a patch that are hotfixed before the EUs get them. ;)

well you woud lose 1 evening of playtime every patch.:eek:

lets say you come home from work start up the pc and find out you can play from 16.30 to 22.00 every patch.

a good downtime for the servers woud be like from 00.00 hour until 12.00hour.

when the kids need to go to skool and peeps with a job go to work.;)

Tell that to the people that stay at home, work from home, are in college, etc...

There's no single time that works for everybody. The best way to schedule downtime is find out when the smallest number of concurrent players are usually active, and do maintenance around that point.

there are a few things that go into server down times

1) the already mentioned this is the lightest load times during the day (IE least amount of players)

2) All of bioware's primary teams are available at these times. In meaning Canada, US, EU, etc are all available at this time to work together and make sure the patches go accordingly or be able to fix something in emergency instead of being home sleeping getting a call to come in and fix something which to get there takes 1-2hrs... and then we looking at 6+hrs of down time.

3) its just fun to listen to everyone complain that they are important and development teams are neglecting them and not sacrificing their lives and family for gamers.

here's a tip for whiners... It is a game built by HUMANS, which do have lives outside of making your spare time more entertaining than watching paint dry.

If you have ever had to type "RL Issue brb" just remember our fair devs are in that RL existing making ur VL possible. Let em sleep some time and give em a break.

They pumped this game out over Christmas with high player counts building, found bugs, fixing bugs, and listening to their significant others yelling at them for staying to late working. I say thank you for the good work and keep it up.