Decreased FPS after Patch

JediShroud

Hey, guys, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I just bought a new computer, and I have been running SWTOR with no problems until the patch came out today. After the patch, I have noticed a significant decrease in my FPS to the point where PVP is becoming unbearable. Before the patch, movements were smooth, but now there a significant choppiness as well as a noticeable delay. My latency is good, usually around 35.

I'm thinking it could be due to some type of graphics card or graphics settings? I turned everything to low and turned the anti-aliasing off, but I still notice a lag. Also, there are moments where it seems as if the game is taking time to load by flashing the SWTOR loading screen pic.

Please help me if you can. I am not very knowledgeable with computers, so you may have to dumb it down for me. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 card. I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks a lot in advance.

Man i have a laptop with a m310, i was running everything fine until the patch.

Now i cant even do the stupid dinky space missions without it being so unbearably julty.

I actually used to work on computers for a living and i cant figure out any setting to change either. I hope they get it resolved soon.

Good luck.

PS im getting an average of 20fps.

I used to roll at about 45-50

I can PROMISE that unless you have that GT520 backed up by a big system, you need a new video card. GT 520 is NOT a gaming card by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: Try a GTX 460 or GTX 560 ti

Range is $140-$200 on average. It will knock the socks off the game as long as it has a big enough power supply.

Edited by djsmileey

I can PROMISE that unless you have that GT520 backed up by a big system, you need a new video card. GT 520 is NOT a gaming card by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: Try a GTX 460 or GTX 560 ti

Range is $140-$200 on average. It will knock the socks off the game as long as it has a big enough power supply.

I got my new comp and graphics card 5 days before SWTOR release. The guy at the computer store (a gamer himself who was also getting SWTOR) assured me that the graphics card was more than enough to run the game smoothly. Yes, of course he would say that if he was trying to get a sale, but it is hard for me to believe that the game was running smoothly with NO problems before the patch, then incidentally right after the patch I have FPS problems. This was no gradual decrease in performance, it was a sudden drop directly right after the patch. However, if other people can confirm for me that this is not a good graphics card, I will consider upgrading, but I do not want to if I don't have to seeing as this is a brand new comp and graphics card.

You only need 600w+ for any single card system (usually pulls 400w)

PLus try and redoing your settings, i saw some settings were turned on. Specially bloom which i could only disable in the .ini file.

Yeah, once again, I turned everything to the lowest/off/unclicked settings as possible. And again, I was running higher graphics settings pre patch and getting better FPS than now. I am reinstalling the game tonight and maybe call an expert in to take a look at my rig. With all its faults, I really enjoy the game, but this FPS issue is a dealbreaker for me if I can't figure it out.

I had the same problem although not as severe. I went to the graphics options and restored to defaults and then reset my graphics settings and it worked much better.

But I would like to note that even though I was able to smooth out my performance, it still feels worse that before the patch.

I had this problem. Framerate went from 25-30 (best case scenario) to 15-20, made the game unplayable. And yeah, I changed the graphics settings back to lowest, but framerate almost made me cancel, since the game suddenly became unplayable.

Some kind stranger told me to do this, and the framerate bounced back to normal:

GO UNDER /USERS/[YOUR NAME]/APPDATA/LOCAL/SWTOR/SWTOR/SETTINGS

and delete "client_settings" and "graphics_mirror."

The guy who told me to do it told me to back those files up first, so I did.

Then the game will recreate those files when you launch it again, and your framerate will be how it was before.

No idea why this works, but it worked.

Decreasing my already abysmal Crysis-like framerate to "unplayable" and forcing low-end players to do DOS Autoexec.bat editing-type stuff does not seem like a smooth or smart patch strategy.

Actually I could probably still write a DOS ".bat" file that would delete those two files for Bioware's next patch, if that would help.

I have the exact same issues. It is not your system. I am working with tech support and they think it may be an issue with 1.1 and certain isp interactions. During tracer testing etc i had significant packet losses...this is lokel the issue.

My issues are exactly like yours...worked night before patch...has not worked since. We will have to wait for them to fix this. I just wish they would post here what they have been telling me.

Well when and IF they patch whatever the FPS issue is that hit's new and old systems alike, please do PM me. I'll be leaving my account go dormant till I'm sure a solid fix has arrived.

Great game just unplayable atm, and for ALOT of us too, I've tried every trick in the book to no avail.

.... :(

Some people got a 15-25% framerate drop in the last patch.

For me, that meant my "crappy, horrible" framerate became an "utterly unplayable" framerate.

If you have this specific problem, do what I said and the other thread says about getting back to your normal, crappy framerate from before the patch.