Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

GabeAmatangelo

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 8 hours in ilum today. I went from 54 to 56. Probably about 2x what I should have gotten.

Like BW said, you didn't get valor from npcs or turrets. It was a rumor, I tested it. Again just trolls.

If you spawn camp, you get no valor because players killed recently aren't worth valor. Most of the the day it was back and worth with the reps. When we finally overpowered them they just left the zone and we stopped getting valor.

This was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. rollbacks are not a bad idea but not needed. a rollback of 50% would probably be best. Just give reps a 24hr bonus valor and I think that fixes it.

This zone is not so great right now. Here is my suggestion. Replace the daily with another daily warzone quest. The quest could be you can pick between a damage, healing, or protection quest. I think it would fit in well with the daily win quest if done right

and perhaps this is just the flow (expansion) of the game as designed by BW?

Empire defeated Republic entirely on Ilum and today in the patch we get to slaughter Coruscant and get republic capital world?

This could be the real end-game and tomorrow servers will shut down permanently..

He already tried the same post in another forum, and was immediately told that valour is capped. You might be better off ignoring his post.

That was me... it's capped at each level you get to, so if you're at 47 and levelling in WZ's your Valor won't hit 48 until you do and that can be a lot of wasted valor if you're using WZ's to level :D

2 other things Nithril didn't mention I think they need to adopt from WAR are:

- AAO buff (increased Valor gains when outnumbered in a local area)

- Valor divided by the number of contributors (40 people getting full reward from slaughtering one guy as you do from a 1v1 duel is terrible)

[/b]

LOTRO has a similar system for it's open world pvp. Outnumbered group gets a buff, solo kills return greater gains than zergs...and LOTRO's pvp is pathetically imbalanced.

BW is just dumb.. seriously... All the testers complained this would happen and YET they didnt want to listen... they rather roll it out on the live servers then realize it was a mistake..

Now they are learning the lesson the hard way but loosing players..

i'll break the bad news to you all and explain why their won't be a rollback.

how would YOU realistically as a game developer initiate a rollback that was fair to everyone?

attacking the turrets didn't give valor, that was a myth.

people who gained valor through warzones did nothing wrong.

some people fought on ilum but weren't part of the spawn camping.

some servers actually had decent republic:imperial balance and had huge battles that resulted in a lot of valor.

if you rollback only people who made ridiculous amounts of valor, where do you draw the line? 15, 20, 30+ levels? but which people through fair fighting gained 20 levels over the course of a full day and which did it in 3 hours?

finally, who are you going to get to review all these logs of thousands of players? would you know how long it takes? how many people it would require? how many resources you'd need to take away from other development tasks?

and what do you get from all this hard work of roll backs? some will lose only a pvp title. some will lose the title and the level 60 valor requirement for certain gear. not exactly game breaking from biowares perspective. strongest valid complaint against letting the valor exploiters keep their valor is that its "morally" unjust, or unfair. that's a lot of work to do to appease simple moral outcry in a video game.

tldr; it's way too big of a logistics nightmare for bioware to handle. get use to the idea of no roll backs. unsubscribe if you want. i already did way before this whole issue started.

Sadly such a good game is going down hill this early, all my friends/guild mates stopped playing because of this... Please fix it and make a roll back, otherwise many people will just quit and the game will die right after.

I still don't understand why they didn't do any further testing and monitor the situation right after it happened, why ignore us and all the reports that were made?

Edited by wolfforce

I like how people expend all this energy to be loud and have their voice heard when something unfair happens to them in a VIDEO GAME, but real issues? No, we can't be active with those, because that's just scary.

It's not like Bioware purposefully tried to hurt you or anything.

What a joke , most of my guild mates wont renew their subs ,please BW if you're gonna do a roll back on valor do it before the 20th because after that it'll be too late , i fear for a massive exodus.

Then I suggest you let your guild mates read the OP properly:

Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that we’re definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action

as necessary.

They will act against the valor exploits. Massive exodus is what you do when a volcano is about to erupt. It's not what you do because a mistake is made in a computer game. What is wrong with humans, they're becoming more hysterical and intolerant every day. You never made mistakes in your life?

The baker makes a cake and puts it too much butter. Never go to him again! We were just looking for an excuse to never set foot in his pathetic shop again, he fails at cake-making! Evacuate the village en masse! We do not tolerate failure!

Edited by RevansSoul

Only reason Ilum is lagging on low/high end computers is due to the fact that BW was extremely cheap in their decision of which Game engine to build the game on.

I still can't believe that a major company like BW, backed up with the fundings of EA went ahead and built their game on a FREE game engine...It's mind boggling. I know how the HeroEngine works, and let me tell you, it's filled with bugs and issues, but hey its free, right..

Me, you and random Joe can register on heroengine.com and get access to the same engine this game was built on. It's pathethic in so many ways and on so levels that it's just sad

I think you are confusing heroEngine with heroCloud. Herocloud is the free version, less pwoerful. heroEngine has a cost and a licence.

As a Jedi Guardian it is basially impossible to get an number of kills when your base is being camped. The most I can do is Leap into their group, pop all my survivability buffs, use AOE attack and AOE stun then guardian leap out to the base again ASAP and hope some of the targets die.

Also earlier my group got out the base and killed 4 imperials in a 4vs4 and we all only got 1 credit... roll back on the valor tbh or pvp is ruined.

One of two things could help Ilum. All stated many times before, by many different people, but they don't read the forums. As you can see from the release of 1.1 . Everyone and there mother new what was going to happen with imbalance and they did nothing.

1. Give a buff to outnumbered side. 2:1 get 2x valor and so on.

or

2. If you have 20 of one side you can only have 20 of the other, or even 20 on one +5 or +10 more on the other.

Yes, the over populated side will have to wait more. It is better than losing world PvP forever. Even though number 2 makes it more like a WZ than world PvP.

We went int Ilum 2 on our server. There was about the same amount of rep to imp and it was great. We could flank them, push them back. They would push us back. It went back and forth through the cap points for about an hour. Than more and more imps started popping in and it became Ilum 1 all over again.

Then I suggest you let your guild mates read the OP properly:

Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that we’re definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action as necessary.

They will act against the valor exploits. Massive exodus is what you do when a volcano is about to erupt. It's not what you do because a mistake is made in a computer game. *** is wrong with humans, they're becoming more hysterical and intolerant every day.

No m8 maybe you should read properly no where does that say their will be a rollback, that post is just a plain and simple cop out, as with their 'necessary action', they will never then have to say what they did which will be nothing.

Edited by Nemeses

Checking in, has bioware announced the actions they are taking? (Besides "looking in to it")

Thanks

Basically everyone that took advantage in illum yesterday were REWARDED .

so No not really....

Edited by Sakushi

I am partially repeating my from posted earlier but I am trying to get my message across. People did not go from valor 50-60. More like 50-55. And that really depends on the server. A 24hr valor buff to reps would be the easiest fix. This was not a game breaking patch but people with bad information or just trying to troll made it seems this way

i'll break the bad news to you all and explain why their won't be a rollback.

how would YOU realistically as a game developer initiate a rollback that was fair to everyone?

attacking the turrets didn't give valor, that was a myth.

people who gained valor through warzones did nothing wrong.

some people fought on ilum but weren't part of the spawn camping.

some servers actually had decent republic:imperial balance and had huge battles that resulted in a lot of valor.

if you rollback only people who made ridiculous amounts of valor, where do you draw the line? 15, 20, 30+ levels? but which people through fair fighting gained 20 levels over the course of a full day and which did it in 3 hours?

finally, who are you going to get to review all these logs of thousands of players? would you know how long it takes? how many people it would require? how many resources you'd need to take away from other development tasks?

and what do you get from all this hard work of roll backs? some will lose only a pvp title. some will lose the title and the level 60 valor requirement for certain gear. not exactly game breaking from biowares perspective. strongest valid complaint against letting the valor exploiters keep their valor is that its "morally" unjust, or unfair. that's a lot of work to do to appease simple moral outcry in a video game.

tldr; it's way too big of a logistics nightmare for bioware to handle. get use to the idea of no roll backs. unsubscribe if you want. i already did way before this whole issue started.

This. It's not ideal but in the grand scheme of things when this gets fixed and ultimately when a new tier of PvP loot and titles gets announced it will be forgotten fairly quickly. The roll-back could never happen - it just makes no sense from a risk-reward perspective.

deeply saddened by whats happened with ilum.

I personally think that someone elses suggesstion earlier wasn't bad. Remove the daily/weekly quests for ilum and replace them with 2 warzone daily/weekly ones (such as do 250k dmg/healing or 40k protection in a single warzone daily and 4-5 times that figure combined over numerous wz's for weekly) that would at least be a fix to the currect situation as atm ilum pointless to go to for a republic player at present.

disappointed with no rollback either, read someone else in another thread went from valor 1-17 in a tiny amount of time with a lvl19... sure he might be punished but that still shows the problem and alot of players who did not exploit got massive valor boosts today because of this broken patch.

I really hope smth is done, I am now on skype with 2 guildies (was just 1 earlier, our gm) talking to them about quitting and we really liked this game up till the patch :/

No m8 maybe you should read properly no where doers that say their will be a rollback, that post is just a plain and simple cop out, as with their necessary action, they will never then have to say what they did which will be nothing.

Did I say they were doing a rollback? No. I quoted a post that said they will take action. What that action may be I don't know, I don't have a crystal ball. But I'm sure they'll do something. This happened only very recently, solutions aren't like instant-coffee. Give them a little time.

I am partially repeating my from posted earlier but I am trying to get my message across. People did not go from valor 50-60. More like 50-55. And that really depends on the server. A 24hr valor buff to reps would be the easiest fix. This was not a game breaking patch but people with bad information or just trying to troll made it seems this way

Actually this is completely false and wrong. My former clan has a guild on both factions. One of the Imperial members went from Valor 31 - Valor 60 in 8 hours. Another went form 47 - 60 in little over 5 hours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.