The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3 PM PST; 6PM EST; not a single heavy server.

Mannic

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large part of why they're doing so much better and why they went F2P in the first place is that they had a large part of the base that had bought lifetime subscriptions and they were making literally nothing off of them anymore. Sure, they gave those folks a lot of perks in the changeover including monthly points and the like, but they still are making money off of those people who make microtransactions when they had no change to in the past with the exception of off of expansions.

That said, usually when a game goes F2P it's not a good sign, but in LotRO that just wasn't the case. It helped them quite a bit. Then again, not every game offers their playerbase a lifetime subscription model, which although a great deal in the long run for many customers can be a real revenue killer for the company down the road.

But do you see any problem in merging low population servers?

8PM today 30 peeps on the fleet in "The kumugah server"

you know what your are right there is no problem its just my imagination.....

A) Post a screenshot

B) Check ALL zones, because 1 zone doesn't make up the entire server.

Boy, that critical thinking can be a real @##$#, can't it? :rolleyes:

But do you see any problem in merging low population servers?

No, I don't. The first couple of months in an MMO are volatile in the modern market though. They have to look at their retention rate, then first month cancellations, then returns and hopefully growth, so I don't expect to see any merging in the next few weeks.

The community isnt on the forums - the forums have the .05% of throwbacks with nothing better to do. Myself included. :rolleyes:

I love how the more obvious the level of discontent on the forums, the more you guys try to marginalize it. Two weeks ago it was "complainers are 5% of the population." A week ago it was "complainers are 1%!" Now its .05%. That's just incredible.

Edited by Mannic

It's 6:48 PM here and it's a little strange seeing all these standard servers as by this time they're usually packed full of people.

Oh! Oh! 1 server just went heavy. Fatman.

Trying to decide what server I should re-roll on to give this game one last chance.

Oh! Oh! 1 server just went heavy. Fatman.

Trying to decide what server I should re-roll on to give this game one last chance.

I just tried to login through my remote connection from work and i can't actually login to the game. Any chance there's an issue with login servers right now?

Others have mentioned it. It is still not quite 4:00 on the West coast. People have to get off work/school, which they may not do for an hour or so. They then have to get home, eat, do other RL things before they can get on. That could be several hours from now.

Either way, your logic is flawed. The "Full," "Heavy," "Light," and so on, designations are not fixed. They are dependent on where the population cap is set. They increased the population cap, so a "Full" server going to queues during the week of release may only be heavy now and never see a queue. A Heavy server a few weeks ago may only list as Standard now.

You simply cannot draw conclusions about a relative status tiers when you have no way of determining the numbers associated with those tiers and when those numbers have changed.

I love how the more obvious the level of discontent on the forums, the more you guys try to marginalize it. Two weeks ago it was "complainers are 5% of the population." A week ago it was "complainers are 1%!" Now its .05%. That's just incredible.

Thats because for me, I just got sales figures for the last week of SWToR at my location- every one of you whiners has been replaced X5, this week alone. I'm sure numbers are just as promising at a couple hundred other locations. Be aware of your status- you don't have any, really.

Thats because for me, I just got sales figures for the last week of SWToR at my location- every one of you whiners has been replaced X5, this week alone. I'm sure numbers are just as promising at a couple hundred other locations. Be aware of your status- you don't have any, really.

Oh. And what's your "status" just out of curiosity?

Sooner or later, BW will NEED to merge servers. But, they probably won't do this until its too late...
Absolutely, even though it's become par for the course to release with far more servers than your sustained population will need.

It ends up creating negative feedback where players on empty servers feel alone, players on more populated servers see the empty servers and figure the population is dropping even if their own server is "ok," and players new to the game can very well be turned off to the game altogether seeing that many low population servers.

BW should just step up and say that they intentionally released with too many servers, and that merging servers was an expected result and will proceed according to their own plan. That'll minimize the "if they're merging then they're failing" nonsense that'll pop-up, without delaying server mergers until it's too late for them to do any good.

I've been through this in WAR. Thankfully, about four months in I rerolled to a populated PvP server that managed to stand as one of the game's final six servers or so, but while I was plugging along on one of the best populated servers the game offered, players from dozens of ghost towns expressed their concerns, were ignored, and subsequently left. Most were passionate fans of the game, but because the developer refused to confront the problem, they felt they had no other choice but to move on.

Absolutely, even though it's become par for the course to release with far more servers than your sustained population will need.

It ends up creating negative feedback where players on empty servers feel alone, players on more populated servers see the empty servers and figure the population is dropping even if their own server is "ok," and players new to the game can very well be turned off to the game altogether seeing that many low population servers.

BW should just step up and say that they intentionally released with too many servers, and that merging servers was an expected result and will proceed according to their own plan. That'll minimize the "if they're merging then they're failing" nonsense that'll pop-up, without delaying server mergers until it's too late for them to do any good.

I've been through this in WAR. Thankfully, about four months in I rerolled to a populated PvP server that managed to stand as one of the game's final six servers or so, but while I was plugging along on one of the best populated servers the game offered, players from dozens of ghost towns expressed their concerns, were ignored, and subsequently left. Most were passionate fans of the game, but because the developer refused to confront the problem, they felt they had no other choice but to move on.

One of the reasons I'm looking for a heavy server to re-roll on is because I have a feeling a lot of the negatives of this game would be offset by simply being on a busy server. If that turns out to be the case, you better believe I'm going to be riding the "merge servers" bandwagon, because it's become very obvious to me that many of the strident fans of this game are playing a completely different game than I've been playing.

If the developer is so afraid of the "mergers = failure" stigma that's just a mistake. Better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Edited by Mannic

Yo 90% of the threads on these forums are from unsatisfied customers. Only blind fanboys actually believe or want to believe that this game is good in its current state. Its obvious that atleast 40% of subscribers have already left. You have a few people like me that fully acknowledge that this game is a mess but are fans of the genera so were trying to stick it out for the next month in hopes of it getting better. So I guess just the hopeful and fanboys are left atm. In a few more weeks if things don't improve the hopefuls will be gone next including myself just leaving the fanboys to play a dieing game destined to go f2p. This is the same thing that happened to DCUO and Final Fantasy 14. BW still has a very small window to prevent this but that window is getting smaller by the second.

Whiners are the ones that give any MMO community a bad name. In Europe, it's closing in on midnight, which is not considered a part of peak time anywhere unless you're a vampire or other nocturnal creature. Get a grip and stop playing the Chicken Little game.

I just would point out that Transylvania is in Europe.

Sorry, but people who play video games as much as everyone here does, to the point of actually following the game on an internet forum while at work, probably shouldn't be tossing around the "immature" label, any more than idiots should be tossing around the "moron" label.

You're the one who first brought up immature, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheTeepo

I know this is probably very hard to understand, but grown ups who have jobs are (for the most part) at work at 3. Also, a lot of kids are still in school or are just getting out of school at 3 PM. It is no surprise AT ALL that there are few heavy servers. Wait till 6PM PST and let's see how many heavies there are.

Originally Posted by Mannic

Ultra-mature grown ups who have jobs and they come home and play a Star Wars video game?

Sorry, but being called "immature" by people who come home from work and pretend to be Jedi just lacks a little impact, know what I'm saying?

One of the reasons I'm looking for a heavy server to re-roll on is because I have a feeling a lot of the negatives of this game would be offset by simply being on a busy server.
I don't know about that. I find performance in the phased content to be conditional on the population; heavier population means phased content runs slower. I remember one quest fight on Tatooine that was reduced to a slideshow because it incorporated all the worst performing content; phased, indoors, fighting atop a platform hanging above terrain. Something about the latter is really poorly optimized; I'm not surprised at poorer performance in indoor spaces, though it's really bad here; phasing ranks right up there with advanced quest tracking as a casual anti-social lazy man's feature that should never be included in another MMO ever.

If the developer is so afraid of the "mergers = failure" stigma that's just a mistake. Better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.
Basically. It's 2012, and mergers in an MMO are old news. If they own the mergers by saying they were planned, they can minimize the backlash of "mergers = failure." I don't see why it's such a big deal when developers have been releasing with too many servers in order to minimize performance issues.

Unless they prorated people, many with early access reported that the free 30 days began during that period and so ended today, not the 20th or 21st or whatever.
I picked it up on the 22nd, but somehow my free 30 days ends tomorrow. I assume I got some sort of non-pre-release pre-release copy, where I don't get pre-release content but I get billed like I have a pre-release copy, and it's some shenanigan pulled by wherever I bought it....or it's just the typical EA nonsense that I witnessed firsthand in WAR. Edited by Ansultares