Bonus Accuracy Turns into Armor Penetration

Kenmuir

If it wasn't bad enough that Tech/Force attacks that deal Kinetic/Energy damage don't have to roll against an enemy's avoidance chance, they also get armor penetration from bonus accuracy.

The equation for it that I found was: 1 - (100/TotalAccuracy)

For example with 10% bonus accuracy you would have: 1 - (100/110) = ~9% armor pen

The weird thing though is that this is applied after every other armor pen or armor reduction(at least after the Commando's Gravity Vortex and Armor Penetration Cell), and it's a subtraction effect. For example if I had 50% armor penetration and 10% armor pen from bonus accuracy I would have 0% damage reduction on a target with 20% damage reduction from armor. You can also get negative armor reduction, increasing the damage you deal beyond the base damage of a spell.

Here's the googledoc that has all of my data. I realize it's not a whole lot of numbers, but it was very consistent.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqXOK_Mmz0s8dDRhankxc0c1eEZ3LW1fY2kxUGh4Wnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

I used Charged Bolts, a weapon damage attack, and Grav Round, a tech attack that deals kinetic damage. The first two sets of columns were done with class buffs from a warzone, so that's why the base damage is higher. After that, even though Charged Bolts has a higher average damage, it actually has a lower observed damage than Grav Round. The difference in damage reduction is roughly, 9.13%, where as the formula would say that the difference would be, 9.16%. I think it's close enough for the size of the sample. Also, the first column is done with AP cell on(35% armor penetration) and the rest is done without, and you can see that there is still the 9.13% mitigation difference, leading me to believe that the armor pen from accuracy is applied after everything else.

I don't know the diminishing returns on accuracy, but it seems like it's never a bad thing to have if you deal mostly Kinetic/Energy damage attacks. I haven't been able to test this for Force attacks yet, I don't have a high lvl sorc/sage and the test would be a little more difficult, but I would think that these findings would hold true for those attacks too.

So the final equation is:

((OpponentsArmor * (1 - ArmorReduction)) * (1 - ArmorPenetration)) - (1 - (100/TotalAccuracy) = Armor Reduction

EDIT: All of this testing was done on a LvL 48 gold star mob in Corellia, an Imperial Demolition Droid(Something like that), with a constant 5xGravity Vortex on the target(20% reduced armor).

EDIT2: Tested again:

Well, here's the second set of results. Looks like I was wrong. :( Maybe the original sample size wasn't large enough, so the numbers shifted enough to look like it fit the hypothesis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqXOK_Mmz0s8dDA3MS1uRWI0ZUxjVzNYMThHRDBGWXc&output=html

AP Cell makes Grav Round go from 20% damage reduction to 10% somehow :confused:, even though it's a 35% armor pen.

The expected change is mitigation between the two was supposed to be : (1 - (100/103)) = 2.9%

The observed was 11.5% with AP cell on, and 8.7% with AP cell off.

Not even close. The damage mitigation is within a couple % of the first test, so it looks like the randomness of the initial sample just made it look like it fit the curve of (1-(100/TotalAccuracy)) :(.

Edited by Kenmuir

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you done more experiments about this? Or seen any experiments with this from a caster POV? I'm curious also if you've found any sort of reliable "test dummy" mob in the world that could be used for further theorycrafting findings.

Good to see someone with some actual data instead of just herp derping "class x is imba, does *insert outrageously unsupported number* moar damage"! Keep up any other findings!

Just an absurd number of things wrong with this post...

First off, the sample size alone invalidates just about everything you posted. I was expecting a very large sample size since you said you had a spreadsheet, but you don't even have 100+ which I would consider a bare minimum for testing something involving things that have a swing of 50 or so on one, and close to FOUR HUNDRED on the other. To be honest, I wouldn't really accept anything with under 1000 samples for each ability in each circumstance, simply because of the massive swing between high and low.

Granted, I am pulling these numbers off my Mercenary at the moment, which uses 2 weapons, so the damage range could be exaggerated over the Commando's one Assault Cannon. However, that still puts the gap between low and high at around 200-250.

Comparing an ability that has an attached Armor Reduction debuff on it to one that does not absolutely MUST have controlled testing conditions to get proper results. You said you were in a warzone testing, where any number of things could be occurring. Use a duel so that you can control the exact armor of who you are targeting.

You don't say either way if you were attacking different targets or not, but as it was a Warzone, I find it unlikely you went out of your way to attack only one person and record a number when he had 0 debuffs, then wait for your own debuff to wear off him and hit him again. Again, you don't say you DIDN'T do this, but the fact you didn't say either way would indicate you most likely just went out and hit someone.

You say you used Charged Bolts and Grav Round and indicated that you were seeing a confirmation of your accuracy formula, but you did not say how much accuracy you have on your gear. For your formula to be confirmed with your results, you would need to have at least 100% RANGED accuracy(and thus, 110% TECH accuracy). Not saying this was not the case, but you didn't record any of this. Charged Bolts will always have 10% less accuracy, but only BONUS accuracy has an effect, so if you had 0 accuracy rating on gear, then your formula doesn't come into play, as Charged Bolts does not have extra accuracy yet and cannot receive bonus damage. Grav Round would be receiving bonus damage, but would be working up to the 9.13% difference. It wouldn't start there instantly when you hit 100.01% accuracy.

Another issue is that, again, Charged Bolts is Weapon Damage and Grav Round is Kinetic Damage. This means a lot more than one has 10% less accuracy than the other.

They actually use different formulas to determine their damage output based on your stats. The biggest factor for Charged Bolts is your weapon damage range on the equipped weapon. Grav Round takes nothing from the weapon damage range. Charged Bolts usually has a higher damage ceiling, but a lower bottom as a result of this scaling difference and relying on weapon damage ranges.

Definitely not trying to flame you, but do not post things like this without doing proper testing, as they tend to have the unfortunate result of getting reposted as "proof" of something.

As it stands, Accuracy reduces Defense, which is Avoidance and Elemental Resistance.

One big thing you mentioned at the beginning of your post was that Tech attacks already don't have to roll against the target's avoidance. This is simply not true until you get enough Accuracy above 100% to overcome the target's defense avoidance stats.

Base defense value of 5% means at the bare minimum you need 105% tech avoidance for your tech attacks to always hit. I can guarantee they will still miss before you hit that mark, as deflected Fusion Missiles were the bane of my existence before I had enough.

Those people that gear up with their Tank sets for PvP also become a pain if you have no Accuracy Rating on gear. Hell, they are a pain even WITH accuracy rating.

This seems a bit fishy so I am going to test it out this weekend. I haven't really done a test on accuracy, but I've collected a fair bit of + accuracy stuff so if I can find the time between guild groups I'll run some numbers in Tatooine.

If it works as described it could have a fairly huge impact on the game, but it doesn't feel like it should work this way unless if its unintentional.

Just an absurd number of things wrong with this post...

First off, the sample size alone invalidates just about everything you posted. I was expecting a very large sample size since you said you had a spreadsheet, but you don't even have 100+ which I would consider a bare minimum for testing something involving things that have a swing of 50 or so on one, and close to FOUR HUNDRED on the other.

I think you need to learn statistics first. A sample size of 30, which I exceeded, is sufficient to reduce the "noise" in the data. Also, where's the 400 damage split?

To be honest, I wouldn't really accept anything with under 1000 samples for each ability in each circumstance, simply because of the massive swing between high and low.

I didn't have time to do 1000(!) samples for each one, it was simply a start to look at what I was noticing between tech and weapon damage attacks. Also I was trying to see if other people were noticing the same things, and to intice other people to also look into it.

Comparing an ability that has an attached Armor Reduction debuff on it to one that does not absolutely MUST have controlled testing conditions to get proper results. You said you were in a warzone testing, where any number of things could be occurring. Use a duel so that you can control the exact armor of who you are targeting.

I don't think you understand what I said. I said that the first column was done with class buffs from a warzone I had recently done, ie 5% aim, cunning, bonus damage, crit. I did not say I was doing the sampling in a warzone.

And of course I keep the armor reduction debuff as a control for the testing. I would get 5x gravity vortex, then start recording the numbers.

You don't say either way if you were attacking different targets or not, but as it was a Warzone, I find it unlikely you went out of your way to attack only one person and record a number when he had 0 debuffs, then wait for your own debuff to wear off him and hit him again. Again, you don't say you DIDN'T do this, but the fact you didn't say either way would indicate you most likely just went out and hit someone.

It was not recorded in a Warzone, I simply had all of the class buffs from a warzone in the first columns. I tested all of this on a lvl 48 gold star mob in Corellia, I think it was called an Imperial Demolition Droid?

You say you used Charged Bolts and Grav Round and indicated that you were seeing a confirmation of your accuracy formula, but you did not say how much accuracy you have on your gear.

If you look closely at the spread sheet, there is a row that shows how much accuracy I had for this test: 111.09%

For your formula to be confirmed with your results, you would need to have at least 100% RANGED accuracy(and thus, 110% TECH accuracy). Not saying this was not the case, but you didn't record any of this. Charged Bolts will always have 10% less accuracy, but only BONUS accuracy has an effect, so if you had 0 accuracy rating on gear, then your formula doesn't come into play, as Charged Bolts does not have extra accuracy yet and cannot receive bonus damage. Grav Round would be receiving bonus damage, but would be working up to the 9.13% difference. It wouldn't start there instantly when you hit 100.01% accuracy.

I think you don't understand what I am saying. Accuracy for weapon damage attacks does indeed reduce your opponents chance to dodge you attack when over 100%. What I am saying is that for TECH ATTACKS THAT DEAL KINETIC DAMAGE, accuracy over 100%(all bonus accuracy you have) turns into armor penetration.

Another issue is that, again, Charged Bolts is Weapon Damage and Grav Round is Kinetic Damage. This means a lot more than one has 10% less accuracy than the other.

They actually use different formulas to determine their damage output based on your stats. The biggest factor for Charged Bolts is your weapon damage range on the equipped weapon. Grav Round takes nothing from the weapon damage range. Charged Bolts usually has a higher damage ceiling, but a lower bottom as a result of this scaling difference and relying on weapon damage ranges.

The top row in the columns show the average base damage of the attack. And, yes charged bolts does have more base damage, but the observed results were lower.

Definitely not trying to flame you, but do not post things like this without doing proper testing, as they tend to have the unfortunate result of getting reposted as "proof" of something.

I think a 50ish sample size is enough to at least see a patern, maybe I didn't get the formula exactly right, but it at least shows something most people wouldn't expect.

As it stands, Accuracy reduces Defense, which is Avoidance and Elemental Resistance.

One big thing you mentioned at the beginning of your post was that Tech attacks already don't have to roll against the target's avoidance. This is simply not true until you get enough Accuracy above 100% to overcome the target's defense avoidance stats.

I don't think you know what you are talking about here. Avoidance stats only work on attacks that deal "weapon damage", there's a big post in most tanking forums and in the PvP forums about how useless avoidance stats are because most damage is dealt by attacks that completely avoid avoidance stats.

Base defense value of 5% means at the bare minimum you need 105% tech avoidance for your tech attacks to always hit.

Incorrect, defense only works on "weapon damage" attacks.

I can guarantee they will still miss before you hit that mark, as deflected Fusion Missiles were the bane of my existence before I had enough.

No they weren't because that has never happened. Fusion Missile cannot be deflected because it never rolls against the defense stat.

Those people that gear up with their Tank sets for PvP also become a pain if you have no Accuracy Rating on gear. Hell, they are a pain even WITH accuracy rating.

So all of those tanks that do have PvP gear with defense on them that are observing that it does absolutely nothing against attacks that deal something other than "weapon damage" were all wrong?

If accuracy for tech attacks that deal kinetic/energy damage doesn't turn into armor pen, what does it do?

Reduce Avoidance? Nope, tech attacks don't check avoidance.

Reduce Resist? Maybe, that's only a stat i've seen a few times, I think it's related to some kind of buff that Shadow/Assassins get because it doesn't happen often, but happens in succession. EDIT: The ability for Shadows is Resilience, which gives 100% resist to force and tech attacks. This is the only ability or buff that gives tech/force resist that I know about.

But how else would you explain the difference in observed damages between Charged Bolts and Grav Round, especially when Grav Round has a lower base damage, but higher observed damage?

Edited by Kenmuir

Plain and simple guys, as shown on the tooltips:

- Armor reduces ALL Kinetic and Energy damage, whether from a weapon attack or Force/Tech.

- Defense gives you added chance to deflect/dodge/parry attacks as well as resistance to Tech and Force attacks.

- Accuracy over 100 reduces the chance that you will be dodged/parried with your weapon damage attacks and reduces Resistance chance for your Tech/Force attacks.

So, in conclusion, this "test" of yours is essentially pointless, for lack of a better word.

This information is also explained in a loading screen tip.

Edited by Cyraxe

Plain and simple guys, as shown on the tooltips:

- Armor reduces ALL Kinetic and Energy damage, whether from a weapon attack or Force/Tech.

- Defense gives you added chance to deflect/dodge/parry attacks as well as resistance to Tech and Force attacks.

- Accuracy over 100 reduces the chance that you will be dodged/parried with your weapon damage attacks and reduces Resistance chance for your Tech/Force attacks.

So, in conclusion, this "test" of yours is essentially pointless, for lack of a better word.

This information is also explained in a loading screen tip.

Except my test shows that it also provides armor pen? Did you even look at the first post or did you just read the title?

Except my test shows that it also provides armor pen? Did you even look at the first post or did you just read the title?

In short: No.

In Length: Even though I DID read your post and title; we don't need to read it because it's spreading misinformation. It explicitly states in-game that accuracy over 100% reduces the target(enemy) defense chance.

BioWare not only explicitly states this when hovering over the tooltip but it's an actual loading screen tip as well!!!

If this is incorrect and they have a BUG that incorrectly calculates it, then fine; do your math and then post it in the relevant forum for reporting bugs and/or make a bug-report in game.

Again, this is all a big IF which ASSUMES you actually did happen across a miscalculation bug and you aren't just misinterpreting data (Which I highly suspect is the case).

Edit: Just for further proof of people providing misinformation. People SWORE that they got 1000 valor for killing turrets during Ilumday...and yet we saw how swiftly BW debunked that little rumor. ;)

Edited by Sykomyke

In short: No.

In Length: Even though I DID read your post and title; we don't need to read it because it's spreading misinformation. It explicitly states in-game that accuracy over 100% reduces the target(enemy) defense chance.

BioWare not only explicitly states this when hovering over the tooltip but it's an actual loading screen tip as well!!!

If this is incorrect and they have a BUG that incorrectly calculates it, then fine; do your math and then post it in the relevant forum for reporting bugs and/or make a bug-report in game.

Again, this is all a big IF which ASSUMES you actually did happen across a miscalculation bug and you aren't just misinterpreting data (Which I highly suspect is the case).

Edit: Just for further proof of people providing misinformation. People SWORE that they got 1000 valor for killing turrets during Ilumday...and yet we saw how swiftly BW debunked that little rumor. ;)

Misinformation? You seriously think I made every thing up?

Oh wait, you can't actually read, otherwise you would know that the tooltip/loading screen you are refering to is actually talking about "weapon damage" attacks. The tooltip YOU are looking at is the one under the "Ranged" tab. I'm talking about TECH attacks, which is under the "Tech" tab.

Something tells me you didn't actually read and understand the post I made.

Misinformation? You seriously think I made every thing up?

Oh wait, you can't actually read, otherwise you would know that the tooltip/loading screen you are refering to is actually talking about "weapon damage" attacks. The tooltip YOU are looking at is the one under the "Ranged" tab. I'm talking about TECH attacks, which is under the "Tech" tab.

Something tells me you didn't actually read and understand the post I made.

Keep using snide rebuttals at people's intelligence; I'm sure it'll garner more people to your favor. :rolleyes:

And as stated before, I did read the post: other then you posting some made up formula (yes-made up: there's no proof that the "formula" you posted is in any way shape or form an actual in-game mechanic for calculating the damage) you have done nothing to prove anything.

At best, you're posting conjecture...which means nothing. At worst, you're posting straight misinformation which again...means nothing.

"And I say, I say...GOOD DAY to you sir!"

Edited by Sykomyke

Wow, can people just chill out a bit? I come to read some theory crafting but get a whopping head-ache every time I'm here.

I'm up for more research. The Tech Adrenals can be used to give varying amounts (and large amounts) of Accuracy rating without changing other stats. Might take a while to gather numbers with the three minute cooldown, but it's the best idea I've got. If Kenmuir is right, the difference from the Rakata Adrenal should be big enough to put it out of the question.

Keep using snide rebuttals at people's intelligence; I'm sure it'll garner more people to your favor. :rolleyes:

And as stated before, I did read the post: other then you posting some made up formula (yes-made up: there's no proof that the "formula" you posted is in any way shape or form an actual in-game mechanic for calculating the damage) you have done nothing to prove anything.

If I've "made it up" it was to fit the data I found. What is your explination for that data that I provided? I extropulated the fromula from the data I found, I didn't make it up from nothing. Orginally I thought that is was (Armor - BonusAccuracy), but I found out it was (Armor - (1 - (100/TotalAccuracy))),

At best, you're posting conjecture...which means nothing. At worst, you're posting straight misinformation which again...means nothing.

"And I say, I say...GOOD DAY to you sir!"

No. At worst, I'm posting conjecture with information to support my claims. I've yet to see you prove what I've said is false.

Edited by Kenmuir

omg dude clearly accuracy redeces defence (dodge, parry and Deflect) Armor is a different thing...,.

<snip snippy tl;dr "didn't want to understand" comment>

It explicitly states in-game that accuracy over 100% reduces the target(enemy) defense chance.

Seriously, people? Are you trying so hard to be smart that you stubbornly refuse to check the references you're citing?

Please be sure you are correct when using the words "clearly" and "explicitly". I didn't feel like wasting ten minutes trying to get a screenshot of the loading tip for people who think they know something, but can't be bothered to confirm, but I did get some screens of the tooltips you reference. They do not say what you think they say.

[Ranged Accuracy] :: [Tech Accuracy]

I further took a moment to understand the damage types. There are four damage types: kinetic, energy, elemental and internal. The damage type any specific attack uses is listed in the tooltip for that attack, except where an attack defers to "weapon" damage. Then, the damage type used for that attack is defined by your weapon. The tooltip for your weapon shows what kind of damage it does.

All damaging attacks that I've seen are classified as ranged, tech, melee or force. I don't care enough about your understanding of this if you can't be bothered to even look at your tooltips before quoting them, so I am not going to go check my melee/force character to see if it mirrors the ranged/tech. But I'm confident it does.

Damage and hit calculations thereby depend on how the ability you're using is classified. Ranged/melee attacks must make a hit roll using ranged/melee accuracy, as confirmed by the above screenshot. Tech/force attacks have an accuracy of 100%; while not explicitly stated, there is a strong implication that these attacks cannot miss (further testing would likely involve an accuracy debuff, such as PT's Oil Slick). The damage calculation then uses your tech/force accuracy to determine how much the target is affected.

Screenshots for BH main and BH Powertech abilities is included for your convenience.

[bH Abilities] :: [bH Powertech Abilities]

Now, with that settled, I think Kenmuir is onto something. A sample size of 30 is okay -- it's not great, but it's sufficient for low level testing and forming a theory. Given how deliberate the difference between ranged/melee and tech/force calculations are handled (per the tooltips; I have no insight into the actual code), I certainly hope the devs intended for bonus accuracy to work as armor penetration in this way. If nothing else, this thread and the other one have brought the accuracy stat into a much better position in my stat preference.

I was sorta just shrugging it off before because I knew most of my attacks were tech, so couldn't miss, but if a little bit of accuracy provides that much more damage, then that's that much more threat I'm building. I think I can fit it in with shield, defense and absorption rating.

In the screenshot of the tech accuracy tooltip you showed it clearly states accuracy over 100% reduces a target's resistance. Right now it is assumed that bosses have a certain amount of resistance to Force and Tech attacks. It's kind of similar to spell penetration in WoW, where spells cannot miss but CAN be resisted. There's no armor penetration going on here.

In the screenshot of the tech accuracy tooltip you showed it clearly states accuracy over 100% reduces a target's resistance. Right now it is assumed that bosses have a certain amount of resistance to Force and Tech attacks. It's kind of similar to spell penetration in WoW, where spells cannot miss but CAN be resisted. There's no armor penetration going on here.

I just dont get it. Did you not read the entire post I made? My results showed differently. Why do you put so much faith in the Game's tooltips?

Well now, you might both be correct. In another tooltip which I didn't bother screenshotting, it shows "Resistance". The character I was on when I noted this had, understandably, 0% resistance. (I believe this was while hovering over Defense, by the way.) So, it's entirely reasonable to not call this effect "Armor Penetration" and simply accept what the tech/force tooltips state: that accuracy over 100% reduces the target's resistance.

If resistance of zero can be reduced to negative numbers, then you start doing more damage. It amounts to the same thing as armor penetration, really. The difference would be that armor penetration traditionally would penetrate existing armor, so you'd stop doing more damage when the enemy had no more armor to penetrate. As opposed to simply reducing his resistance further into the negatives.

Calling it one thing or another doesn't really matter as much as the mechanics of it. And yes, Kenmuir's tests have shown reasonable proof that the mechanics act to increase damage in the same way as armor penetration would.

Edit: As an afterthought, I think it would be valuable to test on an enemy with a known "Resistance" value. Specifically, a player. It's possible that the enemy you selected did have resistance which was being reduced, Kenmuir. If that's the case, it's also possible that you didn't reduce its resistance to zero (or below), and so could not test if resistance actually can be reduced below zero.

Edited by Laughing_Wolf

the point is we don't know any mob's resistance numbers atm. At least I haven't seen any. There was a post on sithwarrior.com that was saying if bosses had a certain amount of force resistance then accuracy would move up in the stat priority.

the point is we don't know any mob's resistance numbers atm. At least I haven't seen any. There was a post on sithwarrior.com that was saying if bosses had a certain amount of force resistance then accuracy would move up in the stat priority.

Oh, awesome. So then, you guys should be stoked that Kenmuir here has done some tests showing that accuracy has increased the amount of damage done to at least one mob. How about, instead of telling him his efforts at research were worthless, he saw someone volunteering to test this effect further.

Like, say, against a player character with a known amount of resistance? I think that'd be way more awesome than telling him his tests were pointless because some tooltips say the same thing as he tested (which, I'm sad to say, is not universal knowledge, as proven by the "lol omg dude ur rong" posts that followed his initial post).

People are seriously over complicating this...

This is really easy to test.

Just take off your weapon. Unarmed damage is still kinetic damage and thus subject to the same accuracy rules as everything else. You eliminate the variant weapon damage since unarmed has a variant of only 3-4 damage.

If you use accuracy augments it makes it even easier to test. It is expensive but easy to do. Just run into BT normal and start pounding on a boss or one of the elite robots. This really isn't that hard to do and if it's true you'll know right away if there is an effect.

Edited by Gankstah

Even easier than that: Force Lightning. It does the same damage per tick against the same target regardless of RNG (barring crits of course). There's no need for a sample size bigger than one, just use it once before and after a change in accuracy. So long as you're not altering bonus damage via Willpower, Force Power etc. then the only thing that will affect it's damage is the targets mitigation from armour. Once again, the adrenals can be used to boost accuracy without changing any other value.

I tried it briefly last night. Picked a target, noted FL damage, popped an adrenal, used it again; I'm afraid there was zero difference. I'll try the same versus a few other targets when I get the chance, to be sure.

Even easier than that: Force Lightning. It does the same damage per tick against the same target regardless of RNG (barring crits of course). There's no need for a sample size bigger than one, just use it once before and after a change in accuracy. So long as you're not altering bonus damage via Willpower, Force Power etc. then the only thing that will affect it's damage is the targets mitigation from armour. Once again, the adrenals can be used to boost accuracy without changing any other value.

I tried it briefly last night. Picked a target, noted FL damage, popped an adrenal, used it again; I'm afraid there was zero difference. I'll try the same versus a few other targets when I get the chance, to be sure.

Force lightning is a force based attack though. So it might not be effected by accuracy in the same way.

Any results?

In the interest of simplicity and using static, known numbers, I still think testing this against another player is the way to go. Check the target's resistance, make sure it's zero, then compare the damage of FL before and after an accuracy boost.

If there's still no change, then that suggests reducing an enemy's resistance below zero is not possible, and then, accuracy priority for primarily tech/force users would largely depend on just how much average resistance enemies have.

Any results?

Yeah. There's no difference no matter what target I try. Level 50, lower level, weak, strong, elite. Before and after adrenal gives the same damage. If there is anything funny going on, it doesn't affect Force Lightning.