The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

Master-Pappy

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be 42 in a couple of months, and like you my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that I was a gaming nerd who pretended to be an Imperial Bounty Hunter that has a virtual wife named Mako. I shudder to think what they might do to me! Some of those guys are pretty rugged!

I think there are a lot of older gamers out there. We just are not as vocal as the much younger and more numerous gamers.

I don't know why you would feel embarrassed. There are lots and lots of people our age still playing games. I'm 47 and I have no problem telling people I still play video games (and I work in the aerospace industry). A lot of people seem to forget that it was people our age that were the original generation of video gamers (ha, Original Gamers, OG, get it?) It was our generation pumping all those quarters into the arcade machines that led to the gaming industry today as we know it. From Pong, to Pac-man, to Asteroids, to Mass Effect and SWTOR, I say "heck yeah, video gamer for life!"

I am 45 years old, self employed, former CRM/Sales rep. I have two children and live a quiet life nowadays. MMOs offer me a chance to hang out with my older son online and at the same time have some fun. I am a avid Star Wars fan and collector and used to play SWG (once again with my son). I spend more time wargaming (miniatures games) than playing MMOs, but still, its a nice past time. Also, my fiancé playes SW:Tor a lot, it helps hehe.

I miss SWG, but at least this have some sort of Star Wars flavor.

A lot of people seem to forget that it was people our age that were the original generation of video gamers

Too true.

And our kids seem to forget that we started gaming on home computers almost immediately after convincing our parents that they were needed for educational purposes.

So the "I need a new PC to help with my school grades" doesn't wash with us. But at least some of the games we played, we had to program by following magazine articles, so perhaps it was educational.

The days of tape loading games, 16k RAM packs and breaking your fingers on a ZX81 - ah memories indeed.

I don't know why you would feel embarrassed. There are lots and lots of people our age still playing games. I'm 47 and I have no problem telling people I still play video games (and I work in the aerospace industry). A lot of people seem to forget that it was people our age that were the original generation of video gamers (ha, Original Gamers, OG, get it?) It was our generation pumping all those quarters into the arcade machines that led to the gaming industry today as we know it. From Pong, to Pac-man, to Asteroids, to Mass Effect and SWTOR, I say "heck yeah, video gamer for life!"
Word up! (Are old fogies allowed to say that?) We're not only the original generation of video gamers - we invented them. The first computer I ever tore apart was the Sperry Gyroscope/Univac AN-SPG/U55A Mod 0 missile guidance system. Every shift required calibrating two 8-foot walls of synchros with a volt meter, Oscope and spectrum analyzer to make sure all the 1s and 0s added up correctly.

After 5 years in the military I started out as an IC layout engineer in the early 80s. (Woohoo ... digital processors!) We used to stay late after DRC plot parties playing with MicroVAX's flight simulator source code that came with the CAD system. We designed our own airports & modeled hotrod space shuttles complete with plane anchor shatter animations (having only single-color texture palettes and no shadows back then made it easy to do) and would spend hours dogfighting across the LAN playtesting explosions. Think racing Car Wars semis through a shopping center.

I still maintain my original Atari 2600 console, as well as Atari 400 and Apple II desktops for posterity. I even kept my original 5¼" copy of SubLogic's first flight simulator which was all wire frame. I also still use a G2/early-G3 Blackberry and was sitting at an airport having problems accessing the app menu. A kid (high school age) in the seat next to me playing games on an iPad offered to help so I handed him my phone. He frantically tapped the screen, flicking his index finger across it to scroll through stuff that wasn't there. When nothing happened he gave it back to me and told me it was broken.

Just wonder how many today understand where the term "dial tone" came from. :)

Edited by GalacticKegger

56 retried and play games on line all day nothing better to do :))).....

LUCKY YOU!

I seriously cannot with when I get to the stage and have some peace of mind to be able to enjoy life :)

So far I am "only" 43 with hectic work, hectic family life and ofc with Star Wars all behind me. I'm somehow proud because my both kids like it (I play with older son) younger daughter only watches but is already excited.

The only issue is that my GF literally HATES me playing.

Anyway.... here we are :)

Yes, i remember ZX Spectrum and Amiga.

I remember when I played first Wolfenstein - that was just.......unbelievable :)

and then X-Wing and Age of Empires and all other games. Yayyyyyyyyy.

But I am mostly RPG/Strategy. MMO is too new for me. I was actually afraid if i could play SWTOR, but now...yupiiiiiiiiii!

And NO i am not the, "Srerious PVP Player" :)

Edited by Przemo_No
extending

Hi, I'm 42, a Chartered Accountant from Ireland. I would rather spend my evenings in SWTOR than on a golf course or in a business dinner with self absorbed people that my profession seems to attract. I have 16 characters 50's downwards on Tomb of Freedon Naad and enjoy sharing my gaming experience on this wonderful game with my 6 year old daughter who has leveled her Consular to 34 with just some words of encouragement (....and a few credits from my 50's).

Hope the game goes from strength to strength as we all grow old(er) with it.

Hi, I'm 42, a Chartered Accountant from Ireland. I would rather spend my evenings in SWTOR than on a golf course or in a business dinner with self absorbed people that my profession seems to attract. I have 16 characters 50's downwards on Tomb of Freedon Naad and enjoy sharing my gaming experience on this wonderful game with my 6 year old daughter who has leveled her Consular to 34 with just some words of encouragement (....and a few credits from my 50's).

Hope the game goes from strength to strength as we all grow old(er) with it.

How many character slots do you get on the EU server?

55 - Analyst playing Jedi and Sith

Been working with computers since the IBM punchcard days and have been a gamers since pong hit the TV's.

Played both KOTOR 1 and 2 until the disc melted and then played somemore. Couldn't wait for this one and am not disappointed at all.

COOL i meet the guy that interduced the guy that gave us the First IBM PC at first they thought it was a joke but he told me the 10,000 they had sold in about two hours or something like that, it's been a while and they had to rush more to sell ... when i had my PC business back then .

Edited by moonshoter

48 Year old Systems Technician/Programmer.

I love the game but with no one to play with I log on and play for about an hour then work on crafting and then log. I've been looking for folks that act at least sane in General Chat :) LOL

If you are on Shadowlands, look for the Older Empire or Older Republic. Most of us are sane.

I'm a 51 year old gaming addict... Working musician and gand-father of 10. The GM of our guild on The Harbinger. I love playing this game.. Can't wait for new PvP content to come out.. I have a toon for all classes on the Pub side and just starting to play on the Imp side also.. I spend most of my free time playing this game and love every moment of it..