The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.1 Patch notes are out

DredlyLB

The issue I've noticed is "ranged tanks" are treated as needing more mitigation than threat Gen. EVERY melee tank class has high damage, high threat abilities given to them in their talent trees. Against this, Vanguards and Powertechs receive minor damaging abilities with limited utility.

~The *** moment~

When you realize none of the tank abilities for PT have "Generates a high amount of threat" versus most of the abilities from the tank trees for assassins and juggernauts.

Edited by KBSIP

The issue I've noticed is "ranged tanks" are treated as needing more mitigation than threat Gen. EVERY melee tank class has high damage, high threat abilities given to them in their talent trees. Against this, Vanguards and Powertechs receive minor damaging abilities with limited utility.

~The *** moment~

When you realize none of the tank abilities for PT have "Generates a high amount of threat" versus most of the abilities from the tank trees for assassins and juggernauts.

Yeah man... I just about **** a brick when I moused over 'heat blast' and didn't see any threat component to it whatsoever. I went through my tree, realized that not a single ability does additonal threat besides grapple... and starting to fear for the future of Powertech tanking.

Why? That's simple; Scaling. Look at it this way; If all the threat we get is simply a static bonus % of our dps, and we have to stack defensive stats while the DPS is stacking DPS stats, eventually the DPS will completely overtake us; The small increase to aim isn't going to cut it while the dps doubles their surge/crit. I've always thought tanks should have an additional threat component to abilities that is modified by defensive stats.

Let's take the stat defense for example.. it should have a modifier that increases threat generation of certain abilities (just threat, not damage). This is because as tanks are forced to stack defensive stats, our DPS doesn't scale with the raid; in fact, it stays rather static. Defensive stats should also boost threat generation ability, or else it's always going to get out of whack eventually (Unless you make threat generation LOLEASYMODE like other games have... where tanks put out so much threat that it's not even an issue)

the powertech tank HAS an abillity that generates a high amount of threat... our ion gas proc (i.e. every rocketpunch and other attacks if they proc it) that what makes us unique.. our "auto attacks" even can do high threat

what the powertech needs is a decent cooldown like 90% dmg reduce over 6 seconds or something like that

the powertech tank HAS an abillity that generates a high amount of threat... our ion gas proc (i.e. every rocketpunch and other attacks if they proc it) that what makes us unique.. our "auto attacks" even can do high threat

what the powertech needs is a decent cooldown like 90% dmg reduce over 6 seconds or something like that

We need better CDs, but amg would that be OP.

Keep in mind we also have Neuro-Dart and Sonic Missile, both cause instant hatred but I agree. I don't know how a flame thrower burning you wouldn't result in a ton of hate. Personally if my choices were between a little sniper hiding behind a wall or a guy torching me, I'd probably kill the guy in my face burning me

Also I would LOVE for them to fix what they broke with our cool downs. Explo-dart is nearly unusable now because of the cooldown timer being so far off, I have significant issues with Death from Above not going off when I use it, my degauss is lit up all the time whether I'm affected or not. I've had issues with Rocket Punch showing as unusable when I'm right next to the mob and I'm even getting a timer on instants which should have no cooldown like flame burst

~The *** moment~

No, no they really don't.

Shadows get a 30% threat bonus on project, and slow time is a high threat ability.

Guardians get.. hilt strike, on a 30 sec cd.

Problem? IGC generates high threat -- guardians get no proc with their tanking stance, shadows tanking stance proc doesn't do enough damage to mention

-and- our attacks just plan hit harder.

My shadows project at 28 hit for about 540 on a crit, at 28 my rocket punch hit for close to 700, -- and project uses half theirresource bar -- my 32 guardian's bladestorm -- their "big" hit -- hits for about 700, my rocket punch with hittng for 900 or so

WE don't have high threat abilities because we don't need them, this isn't other games, by design we don't need a crutch to tank.

.. sear someone needs to make a general tank information thread, because the amount of misinformation between the tank classes about each other is astounding.