Guardian DPS Prejudice :(

Imacomputa

I honestly believe all the doubt stems from our class name.

Guardians sound like that's all they do.. guard things. Be defensive. Etc.

There's no empirical evidence one way or the other for any sort of class bias and yet everyone seems to believe that we're terrible at DPS.

I honestly believe all the doubt stems from our class name.

Guardians sound like that's all they do.. guard things. Be defensive. Etc.

There's no empirical evidence one way or the other for any sort of class bias and yet everyone seems to believe that we're terrible at DPS.

While this would hold true for any other Universe, in SW universe, Jedi Guardians have always been the masters of lightsaber and physical combat. The name is an old reference from Star Wars pen and paper RPG, the three classifications to Jedi were Guardians,Sentineles and Consulars.

Guardian name is actually a misconception in an MMO like this, it actually means we are the most bad *** class of all. We don't GUARD per se, we guard by cleaving our foes.

Wow, I am so seriously encouraged by the players here who responded positively about Guardian DPS being viable in PVE. I have been arguing with the guild leader for hours about why I thought he was wrong, and it felt like I was yelling on deaf ears.

Drop bad guild, join good guild. I've never refused a Guardian DPS unless I specifically asked for ranged DPS. Guardian DPS is not, contrary to popular belief, gimp. My guess is your guild is a WoW port that still follows the "no plate DPS" rule. It's stupid, biased, and incredibly foolish. Find a new guild. Best solution to your problem.

This. This is exactly what my guild is, won't name who they are, but I will definitely leave that guild for another. I KNOW Guardians can put out DPS, it isn't just me. Thanks for the responses, guys.

So, my guild is already telling me that they won't take me on ops because I'm Guardian dps which as we all know is pretty gimped. I am forced to either reroll or go tank spec... this is seriously disheartening. :( Times like this I WISH we had combat logs so I could prove that my class is viable.

False, I am a DPS guardian, I went in the new released dungeon, with a tank a healer and a sentinel, and I was hitting like a truck, we finished the dungeon fast, no one said that my DPS sucks because it does not, you just need to get a good lightsaber and equipment

Simple solution.

Get your Guild Leader or Raid Leader to pick another DPS of your level and gear quality and time how long it takes each of you to kill a big ol nasty Elite or Champion.

Not exactly scientific but should prove one way or the other if your viable and suffering from unfair bias or not viable.

When you get your head around the fact that a Vigilance specced Guard doesn't have a rotation per se, but it is a priority based system you hit like a truck and sustain that.

Master Strike is perhaps the the highest damage skill in the game. Everything you do has to revolve around getting that off cooldown. I always open with Saber Throw, Leap, Sweep, Sunder, Master Strike, then Plasma Brand for the DOT and chance to reset MS. Then I stick a Sunder in to debuff more then I go to Overhead Slash, check for MS reset, if not fire critting Blade Storm, Sunder again. Rinse and repeat. Going through that once will welly many Silvers. If you get a Master Strike reset in there it will be dead.

This isn't aimed at the OP as I am sure he knows how to play, but I have watched many GRDs who are clearly stuck in a rigid rotation. Also as MS is on a longish cooldown people seem to want to save it up. DONT. If it is available use it!

Anyone who says a class that uses it's 2nd and 3rd highest damage attacks to fully reset a CD on arguably the hardest hitting attack in the game, is not viable DPS, is frankly a clown.

Edited by Thurinor

So, my guild is already telling me that they won't take me on ops because I'm Guardian dps which as we all know is pretty gimped. I am forced to either reroll or go tank spec... this is seriously disheartening. :( Times like this I WISH we had combat logs so I could prove that my class is viable.

Quit the guild. I can tell you that without even reading more than the first page of the thread.

If you choose to be a min/maxer fence jumper, then play a different class and come back when guardians are 1% higher dps. Right now there are no logs to really determine anything, so your guild leader is in fact a tool.

If your guild is min/maxing their teams, I'd drop out and find a new guild. They're just small steps short of dictating builds for classes to 'maximize' effectiveness. From my experience these groups are all about the gear and not about the fun. They aren't very good at adaption or working with varying resources. They listen to what is considered the 'common' wisdom of the boards but don't really test other combinations in the field.

Mostly, they're just jerks who don't find any other opinion but their own valid.

Drop them. Drop them now.

Guardian DPS focus spec is good for burst damage in pvp, Vigil spec needs a little tweak here and there, but still does great sustained damage (just needs a bit more survivability - which is the issue with all heavy armor right now).

Yes, other classes can hit harder in burst, but I challenge you to find a better sustained dps class that will eventually have better survivability and mobility than it does now.

Edited by JefferyClark

If your guild is min/maxing their teams, I'd drop out and find a new guild. They're just small steps short of dictating builds for classes to 'maximize' effectiveness. From my experience these groups are all about the gear and not about the fun. They aren't very good at adaption or working with varying resources. They listen to what is considered the 'common' wisdom of the boards but don't really test other combinations in the field.

Mostly, they're just jerks who don't find any other opinion but their own valid.

Drop them. Drop them now.

So very true. I simply do not understand why progression > fun/people/healthy community that allows equal participation. I'm in full Champion gear, getting close to Battlemaster, but I haven't really had a chance to get into hardmodes yet. I dropped my guild btw as of yesterday, so I don't need to deal with their elitist snobbery anymore. Definitely feels a lot more freeing, and you definitely hit the nail on the head describing my guild, seems there's a lot of them out there that behave alike.

Anyways, with that aside, since we're talking about DPS, I run a hybrid Vigilance/Focus build (3/27/11) for pvp, and it's proven to be a pretty resourceful spec with high sustained damage. I've run sweep specs before and it seemed really stale and underpowered without buff stacking, so I've enjoyed my hybrid spec. However, I'm kind of curious what everyone else is running that would be a good balance for both pvp and pve, especially from those of you who see a lot of success in pve.