Is Watchman a good PVE build?

torydoolan

Watchman is our best _____ build when you understand its intricacies. The only thing Watchman doesn't do well is AoE, which focus does admirably.

If you don't PvP, you're not going to be excluded from anything. You are going to need to run the Ilum Dailies more than a couple times to gear yourself out though. I'd recommend PvPing until you get the 136 main hand weapon though, it's far easier to get from PvP (random drop out of a daily bag) than PvE(Soa Hard Mode).

Level 47 Sentinel here. Watchman is fantastic. I have yet to find any real problem leveling with it. The burns ignore armor and once you understand how to properly combine the stacks with Zen timing you can watch elites simply melt before you. Additionally things like 2 points in force camouflage talent, which gives 100% damage reduction and dumps threat, is a great way to dump aggro to your companion for a minute to get your health back up.

I would suggest using Maefly's guide for a good spec and rotation explanation as well as OS theory craft.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=47695

Enjoy!

Edited by Kairii

Yup, popular sentiment seems to be that Watchman is the premier PvE option. I've been with it since I first got to choose at Level 10 and I've never looked back.

As stated before, the key is to knowing how to apply your burns properly. For normal mobs you can just Slash the crap out of them, but strongs and up will be incinerated if you apply Cauterize and Overload Saber properly.

It's strange, I just changed from Watchman to Combat for regular levelling/questing and I much prefer it.

Sure, Watchman is king for elites and champion NPCs, but with Combat, specced out for Precision and the buffs to Blade Storm, regular enemies melt. I find it much more efficient for standard enemies who are by far the most common.

If you want to do HM flashpoints you will most likely need to go Watchman as they seem to like DPS races.

I don't believe watchman does more damage than combat. burns are not that good unless they crit. they're good for pve because they also heal. which makes you survive longer and be able to solo champions that were meant for more than 1 person. focus definately lacks in sustained damage for pve, it's a utility pvp tree that has 100% uptime for speed to the whole group, and amazing aoe damage.