The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

0/12/29 PVP Spec: Insta-Nuker with CC

taugrimtaugrim

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/17/powertech-vanguard-insta-nuker-with-cc-01229-pvp-spec/

UPDATE (2012/01/19): based on exphryl’s (and others’) feedback I swapped out Degauss for Nightvision Scope, as the talented Stealth Scan ability provides far more value than the movement-breaking effect from Degauss.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 0/12/29 spec for Bounty Hunter Powertech / Trooper Vanguard is a heavy DPS spec with good CC capability.

Here are links to the spec: Powertech | Vanguard

I did not take the 31-pt talent Thermal Detonator (Assault Plastique). TD (AP) is an excellent ability and hits for ~50% harder than the base Explosive Dart (Sticky Grenade). That being said, keep in mind the ability has a 15-sec cooldown and I decided to go with the interrupt talent instead.

As Powertech and Vanguard Advanced Classes are mirrors, I reference the corresponding Vanguard talents and abilities in parentheses below.

Spec Strengths

1. Strong sustained and burst damage mechanics:
    • +6% total Tech Crit Chance
    • +6% Crit Chance for fire (Elemental) attacks. Keep in mind all of our fire attacks are Tech attacks, so this stacks with the previous bullet point
    • 60% armor penetration and 30% armor penetration for the talents for Rail Shot (High Impact Bolt)
    • The proc-reset talent for Rail Shot (High Impact Bolt)
    • +9% damage to burning targets for key abilities including Rail Shot (High Impact Bolt), Rocket Punch (Stockstrike), and Rapid Shots (Hammer Shot)
    • +30% Crit damage bonus for Rail Shot (High Impact Bolt), Incendiary Missile (Incendiary Round), and Combustible Gas Cylinder (Plasma Cell)

[*]Good CC capability:

• Interrupt with a 6-sec cooldown instead of the base 8-sec default. This is very helpful for shutting down healers / casters
  • Ranged pull on a 35-sec cooldown instead of 45-sec. In Huttball I use the ranged pull to disrupt EFCs and to pull people into the acid and fire pits

Spec Weaknesses

Spec’ing is all about tradeoff decisions. As such, here are the things you give up with this spec:

1. Limited mobility. This spec lacks Charge capability from the tanking tree and the passive movement buff and on-demand unstoppable sprint in the middle tree
  2. Guard capability, since this spec is most effective at DPS’ing when running Combustible Gas Cylinder (Plasma Cell)

Narrated PVP Footage

The following video contains gameplay footage of my Vanguard with this spec and includes real-time commentary from me and my team mates:

http://www.twitch.tv/taugrim/b/305733320

Our <Maven> premade consisted of:

• Ris’ek 26 healing Sage: this is Justin Lowe, co-founder of darthhater.com and my co-host on GAMEBREAKER’s SWTOR The Republic show
  • Tamgros 38 Shadow: this is Matt, my co-host on GAMEBREAKER’s RIFT The Sanctum show
  • Talac 42 healing Sage, later replaced by Liral a lowbie healing Sage not from our guild, later replaced by Swartz 43 DPS Commando

We won 10 consecutive matches (including a lame 11v8 in Alderaan) as I completed my 50 warzone weeklies for the first time. Speaking of gear, in the video I started with 3 pieces of Champion gear, and during the stream I acquired another 2 pieces. So far I’m 5 for 11 on bags :)

If you are looking for more in-depth information on Powertech / Vanguard, check out my Guide on Powertech / Vanguard Mechanics and PVP.

Let me know your questions and feedback.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Just a question out of curiosity... why Burnout? I'd imagine that would be very situational in PvP and you'd only really gain the crit chance as most targets under 30% will most likely die very shortly after so your bonus damage from it won't be huge. Would Intimidation not be a better option for a consistent +6% elemental damage?

But yeah, just curious really on the Burnout choice.

Just a question out of curiosity... why Burnout? I'd imagine that would be very situational in PvP and you'd only really gain the crit chance as most targets under 30% will most likely die very shortly after so your bonus damage from it won't be huge. Would Intimidation not be a better option for a consistent +6% elemental damage?

But yeah, just curious really on the Burnout choice.

Burnout also gives a passive 3% always Tech Crit Chance.

Why would you choose Rapid Recharge over Parallatic Combat Stims?

You (Or at least I) get stunned, slowed, snarred, etc. very frequently in Combat.

To me an energy recharge every time this happens suggests a much better output than dropping the Recharge Cells from 120 seconds down to 90 seconds.

Edited by Freeborne

Why would you choose Rapid Recharge over Parallatic Combat Stims?

You (Or at least I) get stunned, slowed, snarred, etc. very frequently in Combat.

To me an energy recharge every time this happens suggests a much better output than dropping the Recharge Cells from 120 seconds down to 90 seconds.

As I wrote in my Guide:

Gyroscopic Alignment Jets (Parallactic Combat Stims) should be skipped for PVE DPS. For PVP, if you are concerned about managing Heat (Ammo), consider taking Rapid Venting (Rapid Recharge) instead of this talent, as GAJ (PCS) only procs when you are CC’d, and if you are stunned / knocked down / incapacitated, you are already passively venting Heat instead of building it up (regenerating Ammo instead of consuming it)

I tried PCS and used it from 37->50, but it was very meh due to the mechanics.

I am unable to surf your website and its videos at the moment, but I am a fan and I got a question: Which PVP gear do you use for this spec? Do you think the supercommando gear would be adequate? Sorry if this was already covered, time for me to rest my eyes :cool:

I don't think I could (personally) play a build now without Hold The Line. It greatly increases survivability and is a must for Huttball IMO.

Yea, I agree it's hard to not have it.

I think you and I are the only players of the VG/PT mirror who believe it's one of our best AC abilities.

I don't think it's one of our best, I think it is *the* best. :-D

Neural Surge or grenade followed by HtL has saved me from being zerged down so many times I can't count. The utility usage for it is great too. It helps with crossing hazards, getting into position to stop a cap, denying knockbacks and pulls etc etc.

I didn't get to play beta so when I read this ability on Torhead I told my friends that it must be a typo and that it probably had a 300 second cooldown and not a 30 second cooldown. True story. :-P

Anyway, it's far more valuable to players like you and me who will sometimes go off and assault nodes or defend nodes solo. It's not a *must* for a DPS Vanguard who runs with a group, which is cool BTW. Every team needs both styles of play.

Edited by Raggok

I love HTL even though im not currently specced for it.

I had problems with it. Seemed buggy, wouldnt activate/refused to activate on multiple button presses, would be activated and id still get knocked down, speed wouldnt activate but immunity would.

Maybe ill give it another shot. I really like battering ram / ionic accelerator combo anyway.

luv u taugrim. It's gonna be a damage race whenever I see you in warzones now.

I like that you didn't pick up Gut with this spec. I think that's the right decision. That said, I think Assault Plastique when coupled with trinket, increased crit skill, and warzone expertise buff is an extremely valuable skill. I wouldn't trade assault plastique for 2 seconds off of riot strike.

Incendiary round -> Assault Plastique -> HiB -> Shockstrike -> Ion Pulse

Your "Assplaq" will crit for nearly 4k. If your HiB (3.5-4k) and Shockstrike (3k) crit you've suddenly done 8k damage in about 3 seconds. It's tough for the enemy to recover from that.

Hayduke

Adjunta Pall

I am unable to surf your website and its videos at the moment, but I am a fan and I got a question: Which PVP gear do you use for this spec? Do you think the supercommando gear would be adequate? Sorry if this was already covered, time for me to rest my eyes :cool:

For a spec based around HIB, the Eliminator set may be the better option than the Combat Tech spec.