Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Multi Boxing / Daisy Chaining accts. Illegal or Legal ?

Voiicu

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regardless of how he is doing it, slaving a keyboard to multiple computers, 3rd party program, etc. its not the way the game is intended to be played. It breaks the spirit of what an MMO should be, and it does give you an advantage over other players EVEN if he is just soloing. (you get better xp and drops in a 4 person grp)

Also, it is entirely possible, this is a person who will sell off these characters once they're lvled/geared.

So, it is not, and should not be allowed. Will anything be done about it? Probably not, because it is difficult to prove. But stop defending it like its a legit way to play an MMO. What a ****in joke you are if you defend it.

so now your the determinate as to what the intended use of the game is?

shesh i dont even box this game but comments like yours make me want to start four boxing immediately on your server

i actually prolly would 2 box this game so in my off hour playtime i could do 2+ heroics ... but the follow command in swtor is so borked becuase of bad design its not worth it ... most boxing clubs and websites have all quit playing becuase of it

on a side note ... since your paradigm of how swtor is to be played is absolute could you kindly tell me how often i should be pvping and how often i should be pvping and please further break that down into flas point times/ ops / and how long i may craft each day

Edited by Trushott

Multiboxing usually is not problematic, after all you pay for 3 accounts, why would a company care.

However what you explain is clear use of macros which is/should be bannable. If he just tabbed around and did stuff, or used diff machines, whatever works his time his money. But programs behind his behavior do not sound legal.

regardless of how he is doing it, slaving a keyboard to multiple computers, 3rd party program, etc. its not the way the game is intended to be played. It breaks the spirit of what an MMO should be, and it does give you an advantage over other players EVEN if he is just soloing. (you get better xp and drops in a 4 person grp)

Also, it is entirely possible, this is a person who will sell off these characters once they're lvled/geared.

So, it is not, and should not be allowed. Will anything be done about it? Probably not, because it is difficult to prove. But stop defending it like its a legit way to play an MMO. What a ****in joke you are if you defend it.

Is he online playing the game? Yes

Are many other players online playing the game? Yes

The definition of MMO has just been met. That's what it means. It does not mean they have to interact with the other people, it just means there will be other people online at the same time.

Everyone has the same opportunity to get together and group up, they simply choose not to.

Then you make a blatant accusation they sell accounts.

so now your the determinate as to what the intended use of the game is?

shesh i dont even box this game but comments like yours make me want to start four boxing immediately on your server

i actually prolly would 2 box this game so in my off hour playtime i could do 2+ heroics ... but the follow command in swtor is so borked becuase of bad design its not worth it ... most boxing clubs and websites have all quit playing becuase of it

I'll use a simple example from your own post. When they developed content, i.e. a quest they decided, hey this content is not for ONE person to do alone, so we'll mark it heroic 2+ or heroic 4 to encourage grouping. By multiboxing you are soloing that content, therefore, it is not being completed as intended.

If multiboxing were intended, then everyone would be doing it, and the game would be designed around it. What we have now is a very very small percentage of people who are doing it, so we can see that its not the intended use. Common sense my friend.

Edited by daedalusmachine

Multiboxing usually is not problematic, after all you pay for 3 accounts, why would a company care.

However what you explain is clear use of macros which is/should be bannable. If he just tabbed around and did stuff, or used diff machines, whatever works his time his money. But programs behind his behavior do not sound legal.

lol more posters without a clue on how boxing is easy and uses zero / nado / no extra software to do it just one keyboard that s wireless and multiple pcs

ignorance of of fact is awesome

i was wrong about the website thing, but i dont see how it doesnt violate this?

20. Do anything that interferes with the ability of other Service users to enjoy playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and using the Service in accordance with its rules, or that materially increases the expense or difficulty of EA in maintaining the Service for the enjoyment of all its users.

How is multi-boxing violating this? I don't see it as materially increasing the cost or difficulty to EA, and I don't see it ionterfering with the ability of other players to play. I mean, players will always do things that others may find annoying ("He took my favorite name!" "He took that quest item!" "His class is OP and he killed me in PvP!") so you can't just rely on a minimal standard for that.

How is multi-boxing violating this? I don't see it as materially increasing the cost or difficulty to EA, and I don't see it ionterfering with the ability of other players to play. I mean, players will always do things that others may find annoying ("He took my favorite name!" "He took that quest item!" "His class is OP and he killed me in PvP!") so you can't just rely on a minimal standard for that.

It says "enjoy" playing, and for the OP it clearly effects his ability to enjoy playing otherwise, he wouldnt be here complaining about it.

Its pretty vague, and I'm sure that it is written that way so they can determine these things on a case by case basis.

Edited by daedalusmachine

I'll use a simple example from your own post. When they developed content, i.e. a quest they decided, hey this content is not for ONE person to do alone, so we'll mark it heroic 2+ or heroic 4 to encourage grouping. By multiboxing you are soloing that content, therefore, it is not being completed as intended.

If multiboxing were intended, then everyone would be doing it, and the game would be designed around it. What we have now is a very very small percentage of people who are doing it, so we can see that its not the intended use. Common sense my friend.

The content is intended to be done by two characters. If you can do it by yourself--either by massively gearing up, clever gameplay, or by being able to play multiple accounts at once--then personally I don't take much issue with it.

If that's how people want to play this game and it's not interfering with others, then why not let them?

It says "enjoy" playing, and for the OP it clearly effects his ability to enjoy playing otherwise, he wouldnt be here complaining about it.

Its pretty vague, and I'm sure that it is written that way so they can determine these things on a case by case basis.

But I just gave other examples to show how trivial something can be to make others "enjoy" the game less. That's why I said you can't just rely on a minimal standard, otherwise you'd literally have to make it a single player game.

I was able to solo some heroic +2 quests. Should I be banned or told I have stop doing that because it was not intended?

I'll use a simple example from your own post. When they developed content, i.e. a quest they decided, hey this content is not for ONE person to do alone, so we'll mark it heroic 2+ or heroic 4, by multiboxing you are soloing that content, therefore, it is not being completed as intended.

Definition of solo content: content that a single character can do without any support from other characters.

Definition of group content: content that can be cleared by multiple characters in a party.

At no time does the number of actual players come into play, and that is the recommended number of characters for that content. Higher level players can clear that content possibly by themselves.

Edited by terminova

i do not guess you do flashpoints often

i do not box i have one toon no alts even

i SOLO 2+ flashpoints all the time

boxers like to beat content by themselves without others as a challenge on side the note and is fun for them and there are i would guess more than a million boxers playing mmos

and when you talk about over a million players that will only play games friendly to their playstyle ... any mmo company today would be quite foolish to not welcome their playstyle

and 99.9% of boxers youll never see or notice becuase they are doing their own thing not bothering anyone

The content is intended to be done by two characters. If you can do it by yourself--either by massively gearing up, clever gameplay, or by being able to play multiple accounts at once--then personally I don't take much issue with it.

If that's how people want to play this game and it's not interfering with others, then why not let them?

because it is interferring with other players. Most things other players do in an MMO effect you, in some way. If multiboxing was more widely accepted, like say 50% of the player base started doin it, it would break the community completely. Its only allowed now because they're pebbles in an ocean. And players like this don't usually last long. But to use that arguement to justify doing it is silly.

i do not guess you do flashpoints often

i do not box i have one toon no alts even

i SOLO 2+ flashpoints all the time

boxers like to beat content by themselves without others as a challenge on side the note and is fun for them and there are i would guess more than a million boxers playing mmos

and when you talk about over a million players that will only play games friendly to their playstyle ... any mmo company today would be quite foolish to not welcome their playstyle

and 99.9% of boxers youll never see or notice becuase they are doing their own thing not bothering anyone

I would guess that your statistics are completely true, and now i see the light!

more jokes plz i need laughs.

I would guess that your statistics are completely true, and now i see the light!

more jokes plz i need laughs.

i would say there are well over a million boxers world wode there is an entire industry dedicated to them like vertra systems and millions of members of all the dual boxing websites and clubs around the world ... its a huge fast growning hobby for people with money to do it ... whether or not you ever knew this is irrelevent

so i do not see the humor in my post

because it is interferring with other players. Most things other players do in an MMO effect you, in some way. If multiboxing was more widely accepted, like say 50% of the player base started doin it, it would break the community completely. Its only allowed now because they're pebbles in an ocean. And players like this don't usually last long. But to use that arguement to justify doing it is silly.

I am curious how it would "break" the community? Please explain this.

Some people like to solo. Some like to group. Regardless of how many computers or accounts that person has, I bet they will still like to solo, OR like to group...just the same.

I have played many mmo's with some of the same people over more than a decade and the two boxers DO last, and play the games for a long time.

Why are you making up stories like they are different people?

They have a different play style and the ability to do it...it seems more like sour grapes than any altruistic wish to preserve the "sanctity" of the game.

How is it interfering with other players? The rest is a logical fallacy.

I am curious how it would "break" the community? Please explain this.

Some people like to solo. Some like to group. Regardless of how many computers or accounts that person has, I bet they will still like to solo, OR like to group...just the same.

I have played many mmo's with some of the same people over more than a decade and the two boxers DO last, and play the games for a long time.

Why are you making up stories like they are different people?

They have a different play style and the ability to do it...it seems more like sour grapes than any altruistic wish to preserve the "sanctity" of the game.

last post then i am done because, its too small a pop. to really matter but what i meant was

This is an extreme example obviously, but say you have 25 ppl playing 4 characters, they've filled an entire shard on their own. You'd have 2 ppl effectively playing 8 characters v 2 other ppl playing 8 characters in pvp wz's, you'd have no one LFG or to help you do heroics unless you boxed as well, and you'd have NO one using companions. Since boxers are tyipically ppl that want to solo play, they dont contribute much to the MMO community as a whole. I don't get why they aren't playing a SP RPG.

I am sure there are more examples but its just not worth it anymore.

last post then i am done because, its too small a pop. to really matter but what i meant was

This is an extreme example obviously, but say you have 25 ppl playing 4 characters, they've filled an entire shard on their own. You'd have 2 ppl effectively playing 8 characters v 2 other ppl playing 8 characters in pvp wz's, you'd have no one LFG or to help you do heroics unless you boxed as well, and you'd have NO one using companions. Since boxers are tyipically ppl that want to solo play, they dont contribute much to the MMO community as a whole. I don't get why they aren't playing a SP RPG.

I am sure there are more examples but its just not worth it anymore.

i think it what you meant to say was ...

i still hate anyone that can play more than one character at once and i dont like it

but i have completely failed to win this debate with logic and sound reasoning so i give up

Wait what? How is it interfering with other players again?

If you want to argue about that in PvP I would support you, but in PvE? Boxers almost exclsively run instanced stuff (since that is where the multiplayer content usually is) and without boxing, they likely wouldn't be running it at all. They're doing it because they want to be able to do it themselves. They often do not like grouping for small stuff with other people (various reasons: introvert, bad experiences, convenience, etc) and so the net direct on others is virtually nil.

Most things you do DO affect others in a multiplayer game, but rarely does it actually interfere with your ability to enjoy or play the game in a more than trivial way. A boxer running a flashpoint by himself doesn't bother me much, unless he's running it hundreds of times to get some uber rare drop that will overpower him in some way. And really, that sort of thing would be more widely exploited by non-boxers anyway.

Your argument that if many people were boxing it would break the community is specious at best. Others could argue that doing anything solo could interfere with the development of a community as well. Should all quests be made multiplayer only? And even among boxers it's extremely rare to find people running so many accounts so effectively that they can do raid-style content on their own. I suspect most are simply dual-boxing (hence the common name for it) for convenience reasons and to beat a harder mob here and there without waiting all day for their friends to be available, or making them trek halfway around the world to come help you out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.