Cauterize, why is damage so low?

Ripebear

Don't confuse OS with Cauterize.

Cauterize doesn't tick for 1400. I'm saying this as a person with everything Champion w/ 2 Centurion and one 50 orange.

Yea I agree with this. I have full champ and even popping CDs pretty sure I wasn't ticking with Cauterize for 1400. It would take a lot to reach this number. Maybe OS could get that.

not to defend a guy who was probably trollin... but you're ALL missreading what he wrote... he said it TICKS for 750 and CRITS for ~1400, which considering you're all saying 600 is what you're getting, and he's talking about insanely tweaked set ups is MORE than possible.

not to defend a guy who was probably trollin... but you're ALL missreading what he wrote... he said it TICKS for 750 and CRITS for ~1400, which considering you're all saying 600 is what you're getting, and he's talking about insanely tweaked set ups is MORE than possible.

We understand this. It's wrong.

We understand this. It's wrong.

With champ gear, an expertise consumable, the expertise powerup, a power relic, a surge adrenal, and zen popped I've seen crits tick for 650-750.

It doesn't get higher than that.

Normal ticks crit for 450-500.

OS != Cauterize

Still, it does 6 ticks of 250 with an average of 2-3 ticks critting for 500. That's 1750 damage on the low end which is pretty fantastic for a 2 focus ability, and with zen up, it's 3k damage as well as an 18 percent self heal which is nothing to sneeze at.

With champ gear, an expertise consumable, the expertise powerup, a power relic, a surge adrenal, and zen popped I've seen crits tick for 650-750.

It doesn't get higher than that.

Normal ticks crit for 450-500.

OS != Cauterize

Still, it does 6 ticks of 250 with an average of 2-3 ticks critting for 500. That's 1750 damage on the low end which is pretty fantastic for a 2 focus ability, and with zen up, it's 3k damage as well as an 18 percent self heal which is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not saying it's bad. It's good. It's just not 1500 DPS good.

Back on topic...

Cauterize is great, its the basis of our tree. (any other ability affected by Merc Slash?)

I've gotten so many burn kills its nuts.

But you do have to look at more than the damage, which on both tool-tips is reported before mitigation. The benefits from Cauterize are many, while Slash just does damage with a 1/3 chance to reset the CD on Cauterize. The point of that is to keep it up on someone for a solid 12 seconds. Then that **** hurts.

Just having a look at my ability damage right now.

Why on earth does Cauterize do less damage than a single slash?

They cost the same focus?!?

Does this mean Cauterize is out of the rotation? Does this effect watchman as a whole?

I know It's a DoT but the overall damage after the DoT wears off is stil less than a slash.

What is going on? Never noticed it before.

For comparisons sake post exactly what your damage on Cauterize and Slash is, completely unbuffed.

Cauterize - 470-562 Base damage, DoT - 601

Slash - 1201-1436

I'm I completely missing something here?

I believe cauterize does basic or elemental damage which ignores armor completelly and in top of that if you use it with zen it heals you 2% for every tick for 6 secs i believe (im doing this by memory)

Also if you have your watchman tree complete (i forget the ability exactly) cauterize has a 100% chance to slow down your target by 30% (Also by memory)

I use it all the time

what level are you, im watchman and my cauterize ticks for 750 and crits for 1400+ per tick

Ehm I'm lv 50 and mine only crits for 500-600 damage...My overload saber crits för close to 1k on 3 stacks. My gear isn't top notch but it's aroudn lv 50 all of it anyways. Not sure hwo you do sooo much more than I do.

Ah ansered too soon before I've seen all the other posts about this.

But yes cauterize is a great skill which ends up at alot of damage made. The numbers are just smaller so it looks less.

Edited by Xzenthal

Im combat and i use Cauterize all the time. you just have to know when to use it. I will use it and then use Force Stasis and if your using doc it gives you a little time to be healed up while also putting out some damage.. not ALOT but more than you would if you were to just use Force Stasis.