Need/Greed system upgrade

Strina

I saw couple of threads dealing with loot distribution system "problem" in swtor. The main problem with need/greed system is that players actually press need while rolling for an item just to give that item to their companion later.

This is OK with some, annoying to others but a great problem to most of those players who pressed greed on an item just so that their class could need on it few seconds later. When you ask them why, the answer is always "I need it for my companion".

Every class in this game has different types of companions. Some of them use aim as their base stat, others use will, etc. but every single companion uses something different. If you have 2 companions who use aim, one of them will need alacrity while the other one will use crit.

As a result, we have people needing on every single piece of gear that drops in FPs, heroics or world drops.

Of course, you'll say /ignore is an option... Or doing FPs with guildies is also an option.

It maybe is an option, but not a solution.

What if we had some other kind of loot distribution system, similar to the existing one? Maybe not ideal, and I'm guessing it will never even make it in this game, but I have a suggestion.

Make it Need > Need for Companion > Greed roll. And before you say that greed would be totally useless here, how about this system then?

1. Need: Becomes bound on pickup and only YOU can use it. You can't trade it and you can't give it to companions. You can't sell it nor DE it, but you can destroy it (like quest items)

2. Need for companion: Becomes bound on pickup and only YOU or YOUR COMPANION can use it. You can't trade it, but you can give it to companions. You can't sell it nor DE it, but you can destroy it (like quest items)

3. Greed: Becomes bound on pickup and only YOU or YOUR COMPANION can use it. You can't trade it, but you can give it to companions. You can either sell it or disenchant it.

EDIT: I would keep DE option because it works just fine.

Edited by Strina

Not a horrible idea. :)

I think it would be easier if they just popped up a mission reward each time you downed a boss for 'everyone' in the party with 2-3 of the random items the guy drops and you get to pick one. That way you still go back and run the dungeon repeatedly until you get the items you want, but your choices don't affect anyone else's. :)

Every class in this game has different types of companions. Some of them use aim as their base stat, others use will, etc. but every single companion uses something different. If you have 2 companions who use aim, one of them will need alacrity while the other one will use crit.

From a Trooper standpoint the only difference between Yuun and Aric Jorgan is their primary weapon. They both want the same stats. In any class like Trooper where you have a Melee and Ranged DPS option who use the same main stat and armor type, you will see that they want the same tertiary stats.

Think most people agree to the common need > greed policy just fine. Problem seems to be that some think of swtor companions as some sort of "pets" from other mmos, failing to realize how essential they are here. Pasting a comment here I made in another thread but didnt want to get that one sidetracked.

- - -

The companions are part of YOUR character. They are what you summon after the group dispands, they are your dd'ers/healers/tanks during majority of the leveling. Loot-wise, people do flashpoints to get better gear (leaving social/fun side apart). How they choose to use the gear should be up to them (long as they do use it).

To give an example. I see many of the "ninja complainers" comparing things to other mmos. Say you have a paladin (I assume they use a sword and a shield) in that flashpoint group. If his contribution in said fp-run was only/mostly dmg, should he not be allowed to roll need for a shield-upgrade that he's going to use after said fp-group dispands? It's no different from a dd'er rolling need for his/her tank companion.

Really, it shouldnt be rocket science. Need over greed/looks/etc, but considering how the companions work in swtor they arent social pets like many people seem to think. They are part of you, and need upgrades just as much if not more than you do to keep working as they should.

- - -

Since you're talking about enchanting I guess you might be coming from that other-popular-mmo. Just try to think of them as 2nd page of character sheet, which is the healing tab for tanks or dmg/tank tab for healers :) What you're suggesting is not really an improvement, as all that does it put companion need (which many think just as important as player for above reasons) behind player need, which only "helps" those not understanding/liking the current system.

They are part of you, and need upgrades just as much if not more than you do to keep working as they should.

- GTN

- Commendations

- PvP Gear

- Quest Rewards

- Gear you no longer wear

- Greed

All of these are way to gear companions that does not enrage a good portion of the community. Yet people demand the right to "need" for gear in FP, against world bosses on normal, in (boggles the mind) RAIDS even.

Explain to me coherently why your companion needs gear that is depriving someone else of gear for their main when there are other methods for gearing your companion. If the argument is "I can do what I like with my roll" then that's fine but please understand you are cutting off discussion by declaring an absolute.

- GTN

- Commendations

- PvP Gear

- Quest Rewards

- Gear you no longer wear

- Greed

All of these are way to gear companions that does not enrage a good portion of the community. Yet people demand the right to "need" for gear in FP, against world bosses on normal, in (boggles the mind) RAIDS even.

Explain to me coherently why your companion needs gear that is depriving someone else of gear for their main when there are other methods for gearing your companion. If the argument is "I can do what I like with my roll" then that's fine but please understand you are cutting off discussion by declaring an absolute.

GTN, Commendations etc are also ways to gear player characters. As I said, the major difference between the "fighting sides" here is that one thinks companions as luxury pets while others view them as their healer/damage etc. I honestly don't understand how difficult this can be, can I ask you if you're coming from another mmo that had similar NPCs as "pets"?

Also don't get me wrong, as i said I'm all for the need > greed policy, it's just that swtor's system works differently from other mmos. You can't be everything in "one packet" here (pve-wise at least). Try think of the companions as your right hand, just like paladin with shield and sword if you're familiar with the concept :)

For me I would simply want the NEED option to be selectable for one player only if:

The player's character can equip it.

OR

The player's companion can equip it AND this companion is present in the current party.

Because In my opinion, the only characters (player or companion) who deserve priority on a loot, are the ones who helped to obtain such drop in the first place, and not the absent characters.

And obviously, the loot obtained through the NEED option should be automatically bound. (just the same way items are bound when you equip them).

Edited by Elysith

For me I would simply want the NEED option to be selectable for one player only if:

The player's character can equip it.

OR

The player's companion can equip it AND this companion is present in the current party.

Personally I wouldn't mind that if companions were allowed in teams without taking slots from players, ie you could have the normal 4 players AND their selected companion. Likely not going to happen for currect content without major rebalancing, but would really like that to be allowed and planned for future content.

Would still have a small problem with choosing between your favorite/most used companion and the companion the team would need most though.

• 2 months later...

I would prefer the system to not allow you to roll for need unless your character can use the item. I do not do FP's so you can deck out your companion before my character is decked out. I click pass on 90% of the items, greed on probably 8%, and since I am a consular and have only seen 3 (edit: useable upgrade) items come up out of all the fp's and heroics I have played, I have only clicked need 3 times.

If I see in the thing that somebody is rolling need on everything and it is a pug, I say something in /party. If I am not happy with that conversation, I will leave the fp. If I thought something like this was possible to happen in my guild, I would choose a different guild...

Edited by Roccobb
added useable ugprade

This old discussion. Not an invalid one, but one that we see in every mmo.

You need roll on something you (and not your pet or companion or whatever..) can use. And look at the stats before you roll, if its a cunning or str armor as an example.

Dont hyper press all buttons. Take it easy and wait. If a light armor drops and there is only one player in the group who can use it, wait for the need roll or "ffa".

Its easy. I myself rather loose a good drop instead of screwing my party over just to get a nice armor piece. Its not a big deal.

Edited by Magnuzone

I think the solution is fairly straight forward, as OP has suggested. You want rolls for your companion to be prioritised over the greed of other players, but if other players ACTUALLY need it, then it should have a lower priority. Just add a "Companion" roll in between need and greed and it's sorted.

Forgive me if I am missing something here.

Edited by Gazagreth