Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

About to start a Sniper, any tips for someone who is new to the class?

Maxietheswe

I would be most grateful if you could share some things that are good to know for every sniper out there :)

Cover seems a bit odd, I've heard that if you cast attacks with a casting time within like 0.5 seconds after taking cover, it more often than not bugs out and doesn't actually execute the attack despite casting it. Is this true, and should I just wait a moment with starting to shoot after taking cover?

Thank you for your help.

I would be most grateful if you could share some things that are good to know for every sniper out there :)

Cover seems a bit odd, I've heard that if you cast attacks with a casting time within like 0.5 seconds after taking cover, it more often than not bugs out and doesn't actually execute the attack despite casting it. Is this true, and should I just wait a moment with starting to shoot after taking cover?

Thank you for your help.

First 2 Points go to Energy Tank

Are we talking PvP or PvE? In PvE you'll have little trouble taking cover and staying in it and/or firing from it, in PvP sometimes there are problems.

One of the first things to do is hotkey your crouch to F (or whatever suits your needs) and take cover to shift+f (the default is reverse). This is because rolling into hard cover (green guy) may have you aggroing mobs or endign up where you don't really want to be, so your first choice should mostly be crouching. Rolling into hard cover has huge advantages, especially in PvE, since staying behind it (without gettin up to shoot) makes you immune to ranged attacks.

As a class you have three issues you need to take care of:

-lack of mobility

-squishiness

-not much AoE

-energy efficiency

Engineering tree helps with AoE, Lethality pretty much eliminates the mobility problem. Marksman is the most energy efficient (to the point that a careful marksman never runs dry). All three of them offer some form of help with protection (whether an extra layer of defense of better cd with personal shield).

Marksman In pvp is not so good. Dont know about the other 2 specs but i truely believe that you should not go sniper for pvp.

Every class has its map where it can shine, we dont. Every map design sucks for a sniper.

Marksman In pvp is not so good. Dont know about the other 2 specs but i truely believe that you should not go sniper for pvp.

Every class has its map where it can shine, we dont. Every map design sucks for a sniper.

Not true, with teamwork and class knowledge any class can do well. I frequently top the charts as a lethality sniper and I'm not even level 50. I really havent had much trouble with sniper, it's a fun and challenging class that (if played correctly) can dish out INSANE amounts of damage.

Just like any class, if you scour the swtor forums, you'll see a lot of QQ about "broken class" this and "fix this class" that. Don't pay attention to it.

Every mmorpg has had class issues and bugs to work out, and most of them still do, it's the blessing and curse of the ever evolving medium that we've chosen to be a part of. The more you worry about the little wrong things about anything in the game, the less you enjoy your gametime. Just kick back and enjoy.

That aside, for those of you going Sniper or consdering trying it out, this is a class that depends on a state of mind more than just hitting the right skills at the right time. When you fight as a sniper, whether you're a cover-whore Marksman or Engineering spec or you're more mobile with the Lethality spec, you need to THINK like a sniper. That means stay out of the man fray, pick your fights, stay at a distance. There really is no benefit to going into melee range if you can help it. Your melee stun is handy, but use it defensively or to stun a Pub that's annoying a teammate.

Sniper is one of those classes that really doesn't bloom until later in the trees. Marksman tree may be the exception sort've, but I digress. Once you're around level 30, you'll start to notice the Synergy.

The skill trees:

Marskman: You're in cover 99% of the time doing as much damage as possible in the least amount of time to one target. Pretty basic. Some people love it, some people find it too 1-dimensional.

Engineering: You get a few abilities that aren't cover-dependent, but cover is still important for a build with this tree as it's main. Toys abound in this setup, from dropping probes and explosives. Yes, this tree gives out AoE plusses and AoE tricks, but don't be fooled. This is not an AoE skill tree. You'll just better with your AoEs. Bottomline, Engineering is all about survival. It's the best PvE tree of the bunch.

Lethality: DoTs and more DoTs. All about the DoTs. Also, this build is high on mobility. You really don't NEED to go into cover at all, but vet Snipers will tell you everytime that cover is priceless even with this setup. You get a coned defense for ranged and you pretty much have no interruption, which is great for Cull. Speaking of Cull, once you get that skill, the tree really clicks. For each poison on the enemy, Cull does tons of extra damage per hit. Also, in the end of the tree, there's Weaking Blast. It's pretty much a debuffer that ups the damage from your poisons. Some people will skip W.Blast and combine with some Engi to have I.Probe instead, a DoT from the Engi tree. Problem is, the I.Probe eats your energy and it's not the same type of damage. All Lethality poisons are internal. I.Probe goes by armor, so it really doesn't exactly have the same synergy. The benefit for going into Engi a bit instead of going to W.Blast in Lethality is getting the plusses to your explosives for AoEs. It's a trade off by preference, and you'll get people that argue both sides. My advice, try both and find what feels better for PvP, PvE, or what have you.

Finally, keep your gear updated. Blues and oranges for sure. Save money for late trainings and a nice speeder for level 50.

Let's see... anything else I can say? Um, well don't be afraid to try any of the 3 trees. They all work well. They're just different. So, if you like the playstyle of one over the other and you see a post that says "MM is best" or "Lethality sucks" or anything, ignore it. Find what feels best for you.

PVP advice: For me, as a Lethality build, it's all about being a vulture. I pick my fights. Also, I tend to be annoying to the enemy with the DoTs and CC's I have. And, the added mobility I have, helps me stay alive. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER be a lone gunman in PvP. You need to play off your teammates and stay close to them to succeed. A sniper's success is based on the synergy with your team. (I sure say synergy a lot don't I?)

#headshot

Yes the class has alot of cover bugs, and as far a pure dps class, you get less dps mobility and survivability than a good (merc/sorc) .

As far as mechanics bugs, probably only the MM tree has those. Because ENG and Lethality dont need cover.

So if you pick MM, well be prepared to rage and say *** alot.

*** why did my ambush cancel mid-cast

*** my did my insta snipe didnt go.

*** why did my cover pulse is not working

*** why is the channeling bar all ****ed up and makes it impossible to know where you are in your rotation. (ie. the series of shot channeling when you are clearly in cover and doing nothing, and it eat up your GCD)

*** does my character freeze when i do laze-cover-snipe in 3GCD

Bonus Sets are complete garbage for sniper.

The Range doesnt feel like a sniper since a guy with a pistol has the same range or >5meters difference.

Yes the class is fun , i like the play style but all the bugs makes it really painful. and the fast that right now snipers has no utility in end game raid, since HYBRID Classes can do as much dps and can Heal.

But I like the class anyways, thats why im that pissed off. otherwise i would make an alt right now.

Edited by DestyOwn

Just because you can't play the class doesn't mean it sucks. I dislike Voidstar, tolerate Huttball and love Civil War. I can top the damage charts on all 3 maps if I care enough to actually try.

Apparently I'm insane because whenever I log on an alt, I miss my sniper and have to log back onto her ASAP. I can only speak for Marksman in a PvE setting, but if you set your hotkeys up so it's easy to use your key abilities, you can be a living terror. Followthrough is one of the best abilities in hte Marksman tree and once I got it, I was in heaven.

Get used to the cover mechanic and when to get up and re-locate if you go Marksman. I have crouch hotkeyed to Mouse5 and I dropped roll into cover completely off my binds as it was problematic in many situations. It's been very smooth for me since I did that and I have my keys for Snipe, Ambush, Followthrough, Takedown, Series of Shots, and Rapid Fire all in close proximity since I use those the most often. Make sure you use Distraction (our interrupt) often on enemy heals and big hits and your life will be much easier.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.