Game not a grind?

dalehitchy

I've heard some people shouting that this game is not a grind like other games such as wow. I like this game... And I played wow for a good few years and enjoyed that too.

That being said, WoW had a huge variety of quests that arnt jus kill/collect. They had many viechle / flying, dropping bombs, variety based quests amongst other. If anything, swtor is more of a grind split up by voice overs. I'm not trying to devalue swtor, I like it for the most part, but people saying **** off back to your grind that is WoW ... Really need to go and actually play WoW

OP didn't play wow pre BC...

ALL mmos have a grind, or you just have an iWin button. I wish this one had more grind to it, had to explain to a level 50 in a HM what an interrupt was.

That's even more prevalent in WoW. These games do not equip players with the skills needed to run endgame content because there is not enough difficult stone walls in the leveling process that require you to use the tools at your disposal to level.

People who level capped in EQ1 knew what they were doing and how to function in a group.

Edited by Battyone

All depends what you consider grinding.

from lvl1-50 I outleveled all planets while just doing quests.

I consider swtor NOT a grind game because I dont have to kill thousands of mobs to gains lvls but instead can stick to the quests.

Some of the planets start to feel a bit like a grind simply because we get overloaded with quests, and also because of the "Kill 30, and now kill 40 mwahahaha!" bonus type of missions.

I'd be a fan of less numerous, but more epic quests instead of the so many trvial quests for 5 different NPCs in each camp.

We're also on some of the planets too long and it becomes a drag. Taris and Balmorra come to mind.

Edited by ptwonline

All depends what you consider grinding.

from lvl1-50 I outleveled all planets while just doing quests.

I consider swtor NOT a grind game because I dont have to kill thousands of mobs to gains lvls but instead can stick to the quests.

Except some of the quests are like ... Kill 35 mobs, which are deep in the cave, only to have them all over again to get back out. That's grinding / time sink.

I did a number of quests that weren't just kill/collect. I've found missing people, freed people from prison, disarmed bombs, planted bombs, completed rituals... yadda, yadda, yadda. Even WoW had more kill/collect quests than variety quests. I'd say the distribution felt about the same.

The grind in this game is a joke...I mean it is so fast that it has pretty much invalidated crafting professions because it simply is not worth it to try and keep your gear updated with blue/purples because it will just be outdated in a few hours. The only crafting profession that can keep pace with your leveling is biochem(because crafting a stim and medpac aren't that hard). They need to slow it down if anything or reduce material requirements for crafting.

Except some of the quests are like ... Kill 35 mobs, which are deep in the cave, only to have them all over again to get back out. That's grinding / time sink.

Dont forget you do not have to do all quests.

By the time I was done on 1 planet I outleved the next one already.

That is what happened when you do all quests.

In the end it comes down to choices.

Dont forget you do not have to do all quests.

By the time I was done on 1 planet I outleved the next one already.

That is what happened when you do all quests.

In the end it comes down to choices.

I did start to do this.... But then I realised I had 15 quests that I now couldn't abandon because of it. I'm not being funny with that comment btw... That's just what happened.

OP didn't play wow pre BC...

ALL mmos have a grind, or you just have an iWin button. I wish this one had more grind to it, had to explain to a level 50 in a HM what an interrupt was.

That's even more prevalent in WoW. These games do not equip players with the skills needed to run endgame content because there is not enough difficult stone walls in the leveling process that require you to use the tools at your disposal to level.

People who level capped in EQ1 knew what they were doing and how to function in a group.

Better that he learns what an interrupt is on HM, rather than on a raid boss.

Better that he learns what an interrupt is on HM, rather than on a raid boss.

I take my raiders to hardmodes to make sure they know how to hit more than 4 buttons...but yes. If someone somehow made it into my raid and didn't know what an interrupt was...there'd be 6 people angry at me and 7 at him.

*EDIT -- hopefully 14/15 soon. Scruffy nerfherders is recruiting! :p

Edited by Battyone

I've heard some people shouting that this game is not a grind like other games such as wow. I like this game... And I played wow for a good few years and enjoyed that too.

That being said, WoW had a huge variety of quests that arnt jus kill/collect. They had many viechle / flying, dropping bombs, variety based quests amongst other. If anything, swtor is more of a grind split up by voice overs. I'm not trying to devalue swtor, I like it for the most part, but people saying **** off back to your grind that is WoW ... Really need to go and actually play WoW

obviously you didn't play Vanilla WoW. sorry but this game doesn't feel like a grind to me, because the story draws me in and i just feel like im leveling as the story goes.

I couldn't disagree with the OP more. Vanilla WoW was one of the longest, hardest grinds I have ever played and, no, I wasn't a warrior or priest.

SWTOR throws story into the mix, which makes a huge difference, unless you spacebar the entire way through because you have a bad habit from WoW (proving the grind in WoW is worse). Add onto that the good XP from space combat and PvP...I am casually playing this game and even I think that the leveling may be too fast.

The real issue that concerns me is that with the fast leveling in this game, there are going to be a lot of noobs at end game that would otherwise had lost interest and left at level 20.

I never considered WoW a grind.

Now Aion was a grind...

I can't speak for Aion as I didn't play it, but the place I found WoW to be a grind was when they got so lazy that it was "In order to get geared you need to do dailies and dungeons to max these 3 reps and then get these other 2 to revered. Now you need to run dailies for 30 days to get access to the next tier of raid content."

I'm sorry, but as was mentioned prior in this thread... If you make the content hard enough that people actually learn to use their tools then you'd both slow down the people (probably not the l337 gamers who are complaining about boredom but at least those who need to be shown an interrupt at 50th level) and you would not have to resort to a series of daily quests which are the equivalent of repetitive motion injuries in order to pace your gamers.