Power vs. Critical

MrSchmo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crit% softcap is 30, not counting the base (5) or other buffs ofc.

This is correct.

5% str, and 30% crit rating is the soft cap.

Force attacks is 5% str, 5% will, 30% crit rating.

Surge was correctly stated as 50%.

another thing I forgot to mention was power is not a 1-1 gain either.

100 power gives 23 bonus damage.

However, that bonus damage is not added to skills directly.

Abilities have hidden coefficients.

blade storm is like 1.96.

So, 100 power will give 23 bonus damage, and 45 actual damage to bladestorm.

Edited by MBirkhofer

Each Sentinel tree gives its most important attack a guaranteed crit. Focus auto crits on force sweep, combat auto crits on blade storm (every 9 secs no less), and watchman can activate Zen for 100% burn crits every 12-20 secs. Anyone that played a frost deathknight in WoW might remember that the frequent crits on obliterate/frost strike made the crit stat the worst stat to gear for by far.

I myself am gearing for strength > power > surge > > > crit.

This is what I've understood as well... Seems clear in the talent text. I also play a Frost Dk in WoW.

Also I've seen other info pages that support this. Though there seems to be close to zero consensus on priority from what I've seen and even on this particular thread.

Being through all HMs in-game right now and sitting with my other Sentinels who run Watchman like myself we have figured the best stats are:

STR>Surge>Power>Crit

To explain some, our decision mostly revolved from Zen and burn dmg. Surge will never stop being your #1 stacked stat. It is near impossible to get your Crit X to the stated 50% cap, but with that said the value of Surge will never change because there is no other stat like it in game. We then placed Power second as it is not effected by any sort of DR and will continously provide a 4.35 Power - Bonus Dmg return, thus its value will never change.

Now for crit, while its value goes up drastically as you add more and more surge to your equation. STR throws a wrench at it, because it also effects your crit % as stated above several times. Also with Zen giving your burns (main source of dmg PvE / PvP) a 100% every 10-15 seconds if played/ spec'ed right, this also diminishes the value of Crit.

In the end with my gearing:

1584 STR

394 Bonus Dmg

31% Crit

85% Surge

I have noticed that your "Burst" dmg can compete with the best (2k burn ticks and 4-5k Merc strikes). But every sentinel knows that their burst dmg is relative to your Focus level entering combat and their mastery of focus generation and offensive CD timing during combat.

Being through all HMs in-game right now and sitting with my other Sentinels who run Watchman like myself we have figured the best stats are:

STR>Surge>Power>Crit

To explain some, our decision mostly revolved from Zen and burn dmg. Surge will never stop being your #1 stacked stat. It is near impossible to get your Crit X to the stated 50% cap, but with that said the value of Surge will never change because there is no other stat like it in game. We then placed Power second as it is not effected by any sort of DR and will continously provide a 4.35 Power - Bonus Dmg return, thus its value will never change.

Now for crit, while its value goes up drastically as you add more and more surge to your equation. STR throws a wrench at it, because it also effects your crit % as stated above several times. Also with Zen giving your burns (main source of dmg PvE / PvP) a 100% every 10-15 seconds if played/ spec'ed right, this also diminishes the value of Crit.

In the end with my gearing:

1584 STR

394 Bonus Dmg

31% Crit

85% Surge

I have noticed that your "Burst" dmg can compete with the best (2k burn ticks and 4-5k Merc strikes). But every sentinel knows that their burst dmg is relative to your Focus level entering combat and their mastery of focus generation and offensive CD timing during combat.

Your stats are exactly what I have haha. I don't know if you should have that priority list there because there is a point where crit is more important but only til about 30% because of DR. If people only looked at that priority they would barely stack crit at all. But yes, after testing the numbers in both PvP and Nightmare Raiding it seems like the sure way to go.

Is it just me or is the Rakata set I just inspected so very poorly itemized for watchman sentinel btw?

Buttloads of crit, a bit of power and no Surge... at all...

Yeah, I ripped out the enhancements and put in some 56 enhancements. Helps a lot. Accuracy is such crap.

You need to look at your tree to find out what's best.

Crit+Surge first, Power next for Combat, you'll be spamming BR, you want that and the Ataru procs to crit and benefit from the +30% crit damage talent.

Watchman, Zen and your talent already give your burns a high crit chance very often, in this case surge and power are better than crit, although you might want that merciless to crit as well... Probaly the spec you need to balance most.

Focus, Surge and Power all the way, you want that one mega buffed Sweep to destroy everything in its path.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

When you say 30% is the soft cap for crit, does that mean 30% JUST from your crit stat or 30% crit including crit from strength? Also, does that include the 5% base? In other words, should the goal be to have the crit stat in our character screen show 30%, or some other #? I ask because I'm at about ~28% right now(damn you terrible RNG for columi drops)unbuffed.

And surge soft cap being 50%, I'm assuming that means you want your crit multiplier at 100% since you get 50% baseline.

Anyone know if there is a cap for accuracy? I think my special attack accuracy right now is like 109%. I swear I read somewhere that bosses have a 10% parry/deflect chance but I'm not sure about that.

Being a combat Sentinel, I aim towards Power and Surge. Our Blade Storm auto crits, no reason for any other attacks to crit, this is our bread and butter.

Also, it should be noted that Power does add damage to basic attacks, but even MORE damage to our special attacks (Blade Rush, Blade Storm, Precision Slash, Master Strike)

So it acts similiar to Surge for us.

Being a combat Sentinel, I aim towards Power and Surge. Our Blade Storm auto crits, no reason for any other attacks to crit, this is our bread and butter.

No, wrong.

Your bread and butter are Blade Rush and Ataru procs which are not auto crits, but benefit from the +30% crit damage talent like BS and are spammable, not on a 9s cooldown.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

Interesting information about Accuracy in PvP :

My Focus mega buffed Sweep just missed (and more than once) despite special attacks stating 100% accuracy. So either Sweep is not a special attack (doubtful) or accuracy debuffs are working correctly now even on force attacks.

Didn't have time to check the debuff list though.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

Sweep does not "Miss". Sweep gets resisted (this should only occur versus Sorcs/Assassins who pop their 100% resist cooldown -- don't recall any other classes that get that effect), or it just 'does not hit' entirely based on placement (out of range).

Are you saying you actually got a "RESIST" against someone?

Also, there are some rare conditions where you will get resisted without those 2 Inq/Consular cooldowns:

1. You have low ACC and are accuracy-debuffed by a tank (note: Pacify only debuffs melee/range, but the tank one applies a -5% across-the-board ACC penalty).

2. The target happens to be a BH with PvE gear and has the set bonus for like 3% resist ... on top of #1 above.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if it shows up as a "MISS" if you have <5% acc and get acc debuffed. That would be interesting.

Edited by EasymodeX

Without doing math, your stat priority changes based on the amount of crit you have.

With low crit rating levels, your stat priority is:

Strength > Crit > Power > Surge.

Once you reach a certain crit%, your priority changes to:

Strength = Power > Surge > Crit

Who knows Pantson, I've been asking for clarification for weeks now.

1st- Watchman spec- which stats should we take

2nd - Combat- same

3rd -Focus(PVP) - same

I can't tell what to do if I hear 3 combat spec and 3 watchman spec saying different things.

Sweep does not "Miss". Sweep gets resisted (this should only occur versus Sorcs/Assassins who pop their 100% resist cooldown -- don't recall any other classes that get that effect), or it just 'does not hit' entirely based on placement (out of range).

Are you saying you actually got a "RESIST" against someone?

Also, there are some rare conditions where you will get resisted without those 2 Inq/Consular cooldowns:

1. You have low ACC and are accuracy-debuffed by a tank (note: Pacify only debuffs melee/range, but the tank one applies a -5% across-the-board ACC penalty).

2. The target happens to be a BH with PvE gear and has the set bonus for like 3% resist ... on top of #1 above.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if it shows up as a "MISS" if you have <5% acc and get acc debuffed. That would be interesting.

No, it said MISS in yellow.

Tank debuff might be it, although I was fighting an Assassin and a marauder at the time.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve