Appreciation

Jaerion

I love my Sentinel.

Centering opens up some really cool options, the trees offer some neat variety, and I feel like you have enough tools available to you to really help your group, if used properly.

The collection of mobility options is nice, and I feel like I'm always moving and doing...it's very active.

I was looking forward to playing this from the moment it was announced, and I'm enjoying my experience. Unfortunately, bouncing around in the forums isn't encouraging, with regards to other Sentinels' experience. I hope that this is just a vocal minority, and that there are more people out there that are having a great time.

Because this game is fun, and players should have fun with it.

I love my Sentinel.

Centering opens up some really cool options, the trees offer some neat variety, and I feel like you have enough tools available to you to really help your group, if used properly.

The collection of mobility options is nice, and I feel like I'm always moving and doing...it's very active.

I was looking forward to playing this from the moment it was announced, and I'm enjoying my experience. Unfortunately, bouncing around in the forums isn't encouraging, with regards to other Sentinels' experience. I hope that this is just a vocal minority, and that there are more people out there that are having a great time.

Cheers to that! When did fun go out of style? I'm gonna go have me some fun right now....

Agreed. A lot of MMO players take things too seriously and way out of proportion. Haters will hate, but if Sentinel wasn't fun or attractive they would stop playing. They post their QQ threads to vent their frustration, but in reality it isn't any where near as bad as they make it sound.

Thanks for the encouraging post!

It is possible to love and enjoy playing a Sentinel (I do) and still admit the class has some challenges (I do).

They aren't the end of the galaxy, but I'd like to see the ones that are bugs fixed, the ones that are oddities examined.

Doesn't mean I can't have fun meanwhile.

Having fun meanwhile doesn't mean I can't point out disparity where I see it.

The only thing I hate about my Sentinel are the ability delay issues. For some reason, it is unique to our class. Vs. a moving target in PvP, sometimes it takes me 3 GCDs to get my Leg Snare to activate, which is the difference between opening a can of whoopass and chasing after that Merc Bounty Hunter like a dog trying to catch a car. All the while, he's blasting you with missiles and basic attacks. Edited by McVade

The animations would be a little more fun if I didn't have to keep taking my eyes off the action to watch my action bars and dots. If I just had some way to keep all of these notifications and status in the center area of the screen, I would achieve greater happiness.

I love my Sentinel.

I ran as a guardian in the beta and loved it never touched the sentinel until launch and I love it. Its not as broken as some people make it out to be but denying that it doesnt have issues as well. The mobility is nice and very fun. I have had a much better experience with the sentinel overall. Plus I love our DoTs.

Can I just get force pull or push? Either one would help me feel like a Jedi more.

But, in all honesty, the Sentinel is all about knowing your rotations and timing. Ever since I got those down, I really haven't had that much of a problem.

Off-hand damage tweak would be nice though...:D

Also, I get disproportionately excited when thinking about the variety our trees offer. Don't know if that's just me, but I like how we get some fun choices in that regard :D I've been enjoying the heck out of Watchman, because it's so efficient, but I'm gonna give the others a try in a few levels, just to see what they're like.

It's not often that a single class can create that kind of feeling, in my experience.

I love the idea of the class and the storyline of the class.

I dislike the Centering mechanic, but I will live with it.

I dislike that it's one more thing that I have to juggle and I question the value gained by juggling it. Why does a class need two 'buidling' effects (Focus & Centering)?

And I've having a blast with it and the game in general. =)

I love the idea of the class and the storyline of the class.

I dislike the Centering mechanic, but I will live with it.

I dislike that it's one more thing that I have to juggle and I question the value gained by juggling it. Why does a class need two 'buidling' effects (Focus & Centering)?

And I've having a blast with it and the game in general. =)

I like to think of it more like a secondary resource so I can "go to eleven."

i have fun playing my sentinel but he is just alot weaker than every other class in the game

Really? Because I took my Shadow to 50 and I'm finding Sentinel to be way more potent at his level than the Shadow was. Maybe you should check out the stickied posts in the Sentinel forum for some tips? That's what I did.

Side note: players that post great how-to threads make me happy. Thanks to them for sharing their experience in a well-formatted presentation.

I love my Sentinel.

Congratulations! You have started a fine thread with 0 negativity so far. There are obvious faults with this class, but none are "unfixable." There are some monster Sentinels out there producing huge numbers that we should all be watching, learning, and enjoying.

Congratulations! You have started a fine thread with 0 negativity so far.

Dude, don't jinx it :D

Yeah, doing some research and figuring out what the effective players are doing is a fun little exercise, and it's really enlightened me on a lot of things. Just spending half an hour in the forums helped me completely relearn what I knew about the class (pre-20 back then, so just in time) and made the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Here's to hoping more helpful tips surface in the future!

The only thing I hate about my Sentinel are the ability delay issues. For some reason, it is unique to our class. Vs. a moving target in PvP, sometimes it takes me 3 GCDs to get my Leg Snare to activate, which is the difference between opening a can of whoopass and chasing after that Merc Bounty Hunter like a dog trying to catch a car. All the while, he's blasting you with missiles and basic attacks.

^ This, this and more that ^

If these delays and issues are fixed. I will love this game ten fold.

^ This, this and more that ^

If these delays and issues are fixed. I will love this game ten fold.

Everyone agrees these are issues and need to be fixed. Sift through the forums and you will see the general attitude is that Sentinel is UP and people are raging over it. Those threads are useless and don't benefit anyone except for the person venting who may feel a little gratification for speaking their mind.

I like to think of it more like a secondary resource so I can "go to eleven."

It's fine for that. What the other poster meant -- and I agree -- is that as a secondary resource, it's rather boring.

It uses the exact same mechanic as Focus (but with different builders). It builds and then is spent. So basically you have two rage bars. One goes to 12 and has a variety of costs for different abilities; it requires ACTIVE abilities to generate. The other goes to 30 and requires PASSIVE abilities to generate, however, there is only one way to spend it: At 30 stacks you activate one of several buffs.

There is zero use having 10 or 15 Centering, so as resource "currency", it is nothing but a counter. You can't execute a moderate buff at 15 and a stellar buff at 30. It's all or nothing every time.

If interesting gaming is about making difficult choices, the Centering mechanic offers very little. It's one more thing to keep track of, and let's face it, you're going to Transcendance or Zen every time unless you're PvPing, and then you're going to use that one every time.

It degenerates into one more button to mash.

If it was more of a stance thing...sacrifice slight DPS to build Centering, or sacrifice Defense, or whatever...that'd be interesting. If it worked different from "build in combat / spend in combat" it would be more interesting than a second version of Focus. For example, if the buffs had to be activated out of combat (and lasted longer), they'd require a bit more thought than another button in combat. For example, if Centering only generated out of combat, like a mana bar, it'd be more interesting to manage. Do you go without it for several fights while you PWN PWN PWN, and then meditate up for the big boss? Does your group respect your need for building an additional resource IF they want the buff?

If Zen cost 30 but Transcendence cost 90, the decision how long to stay out of combat would be interesting. It would be a game of choices.

As it is, Centering works much the same way as Focus:

• You must be in combat.
  • It is a waste to generate past a certain amount.

As a secondary resource, it's boring because it doesn't offer a different mechanic than our primary resource. And since there are very few ways to spend it, and they all have identical costs (and very similar results), it's even more boring than Focus.

As a secondary resource, it's boring because it doesn't offer a different mechanic than our primary resource. And since there are very few ways to spend it, and they all have identical costs (and very similar results), it's even more boring than Focus.

I'll concede that more options would be nice, even though Zen is pretty cool as is. If memory serves, Centering was added very late in Beta, so it's no wonder that there are currently only a few spenders.

I don't mind that it only builds in combat and only sustains a short time...the whole class is based around return on investment (something I enjoy about it) in combat, so it fits the flavor. You do have valid points, and I can see where you're coming from, though!

Still having fun. Lots of fun.