The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

We are the most well-rounded class in game

Torothin

Hands down I think we are the most well-rounded class in the game. We have the beast class in huttball(shield tech), the beast class in PvP for DPS (Pyro), and a decent whatever tree(AP not sure what else this class is good at at). When it is all said and done we are the most well-rounded class in the game. Many people hate going up against PT's because they are tough nuts to crack. There is nothing to complain about with this class guys. I will be streaming again later today. Let's Discuss! Edited by Torothin

Personally I like that Mercenaries are a lot more popular than Powertechs not just to feel like a COOL HIPSTER. But because with Mercenaries being the poster-child of BH hate, they can leave us alone.

We're outfitted with extremely strong tools and a bulk of our strength does not lie in the damage we do but rather the various ways one goes about utilizing it in combat. This is something I really enjoy as your effectiveness as a whole with this class is really reflected in how you play.

AP does about half the damage of Pyrotech at lvl 50. Calling it a PvE spec is sort of....what?

Pyrotech is how you PvE deeps. It's also how you should PvP until AP gets huge buffs, because you will kill everything twice as slow with only 1% more utility as AP.

Pyrotech is the PvE DPS spec. Not AP. AP does waayyy less damage than Pyrotech.

Which is also why Pyrotech should be used for PvP atm, because it can do everything AP can do except it's ever so slightly less mobile. A slight hit to mobility (which can actually be mostly made up for with the Degauss talent) in exchange for double the damage means Pyrotech is just better than AP at everything except carrying the ball in Huttball right now.

WTB AP buffs. It's a great spec/playstyle in theory, Bioware just made is way too weak to justify atm.

I understand your viewpoint but we also had 3 50 PT's in guild. 2 of which went AP first then shield and are now Pyro. My knowledge of the AP tree isn't the greatest. But several have said it is better for PvE if that is not the case then thank you for shedding some light onto this. it's not good at PvE or PvP compared to the other 2 trees. Check.

I do love how versatile the PT feels. I am full shield tech, but still think I do alright damage in PvE (nothing close to real DPS) and have great survivability. Plus, we have melee, mid ranged and long ranged attacks. There is A LOT you can do with this class.

Heavy Advanced Prototypes builds are based on burst damage, which is typically a very bad thing to focus on for endgame PvE damage dealers. Burst damage is hard to control, generally ends up dealing less damage in the long run, and causes issues with threat (and since we have no threat drop as powertechs, that's something you have to pay close attention to). Burst damage is very good for pvp, on the other hand, because it's harder for enemy players to deal with, especially healers.

Pyrotech builds, specifically mid-tree pyrotech with a few points spent in the lower tiers of advanced prototypes and shieldtech, focus more on damage over time, but still retain a bit of burst capability. This is ideal for PvE, as damage over time setups typically generate the most reliable sustained damage against stronger pve opponents (like bosses), especially when enemy mechanics require a lot of movement from the players, and the retainment of some burst damage allows you to deal with weaker PvE targets easily.

I agree with the title, though. Powertechs remind me a lot of feral druids in WoW, very versatile and capable of tackling a large variety of tasks with ease just by slightly changing their approach to the situation.

For the record my first post didn't show up this morning so I made a second one a few minutes later, then that one also didn't show up. So I said f*** it, and later tonight here they both are on the first page. Whatever, forum fail.

Anyway, AP has neither the burst capability of Pyrotech (Thermal Detonator going off at the same time a Rail Shot hits and reprocs CGC, all of which can crit at the exact same time for easily 8k damage unbuffed if you're in good gear) nor the sustained DPS capability of Pyrotech (2 DoTs + Rail Shot being reset constantly + your 2 most commonly used attacks ((RS and FB)) proccing CGC ticks.)

I'm a lvl 50 PT with a full set of champ gear from PvP and a full set of rakata/columni gear from raiding. Pyrotech is unquestionably significantly more DPS in every scenario, PvP and PvE. Not just a little more DPS. Way the f*** more DPS.

So I sort of agree and disagree with this thread. I mean, our class is designed to either DPS or tank, and we have a fantastic tank tree and a fantastic DPS tree. But our PvP DPS tree (AP) is useless right now at level 50, or at the very least severely outclassed at its own game by the other DPS tree. Hopefully one day soon AP will get massively buffed and then we'll be rocking.

Edited by Mhak

Heavy Advanced Prototypes builds are based on burst damage, which is typically a very bad thing to focus on for endgame PvE damage dealers. Burst damage is hard to control, generally ends up dealing less damage in the long run, and causes issues with threat (and since we have no threat drop as powertechs, that's something you have to pay close attention to). Burst damage is very good for pvp, on the other hand, because it's harder for enemy players to deal with, especially healers.

Pyrotech builds, specifically mid-tree pyrotech with a few points spent in the lower tiers of advanced prototypes and shieldtech, focus more on damage over time, but still retain a bit of burst capability. This is ideal for PvE, as damage over time setups typically generate the most reliable sustained damage against stronger pve opponents (like bosses), especially when enemy mechanics require a lot of movement from the players, and the retainment of some burst damage allows you to deal with weaker PvE targets easily.

I agree with the title, though. Powertechs remind me a lot of feral druids in WoW, very versatile and capable of tackling a large variety of tasks with ease just by slightly changing their approach to the situation.

I disagree. Pyrotech is one of the best burst damage classes in the game... It has DOTs but DOT are not is main focus. It's timing the RS with the TD that makes this class so great.