How to Kill Powertechs/ Troopers?

TiTaNsFaN

Title.

Huge hitpoints. Heals (instant?), a pushback and pull mechanic, and a ton of sustained dps (dot dot unload).

Are these classes not mean to be killed 1v1? Might as well give them the raid boss tag.

They actually kick my scoundrel's *** tbh. For me to kill one even on my Commando takes every cooldown, medpacs, and the sort. They simply just outlive and consider everything a small tickle. But its a tank, and its suppose to have battlefield presence. Its pretty much oh you have 15k HP, well I have 19-20, that OP opener of yours, that almost hurt me man. And from then on they pretty much just burn me to death unless I vanish.

Huge hitpoints. Heals (instant?), a pushback and pull mechanic, and a ton of sustained dps (dot dot unload).

Are these classes not mean to be killed 1v1? Might as well give them the raid boss tag.

I think you are confused.

Powertechs do not have knockback, nor any healing other than a *** button for 15% health over 10 seconds on a cooldown (i.e. much less than a heal pot). Their hitpoints are in line with the other tank archetypes as well.

If you were referring to the Mercenary, your post still doesn't make sense. Mercenaries get heals, but do not have a pull mechanic. They have good sustained dps, but are also much squishier.

Hmmm... excuse me one sec....

(Looks at Kolto Overload and Adrenaline Rush)

Ya... 15% health over 10 seconds on a 3 minute cooldown. Totally overpowered healing right there!

This is another case of either didn't see the healer, or the person was Biochem.

I think you are confused.

Powertechs do not have knockback, nor any healing other than a *** button for 15% health over 10 seconds on a cooldown (i.e. much less than a heal pot). Their hitpoints are in line with the other tank archetypes as well.

If you were referring to the Mercenary, your post still doesn't make sense. Mercenaries get heals, but do not have a pull mechanic. They have good sustained dps, but are also much squishier.

They must have a pusback mechanic. Pull might just be mercs. That 15% must scale very well on those 19k powertechs/vanguards I see healing themselves with that dome shield up.

IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL. Show me how a 1v1 fight goes when a powertech/vanguard is geared please.

Vanguard/Powertech - if you are Sorcerer or Operative, faceroll him. If you are well geared Marauder, take him head on. If you are any other class, call for more friends.

Mercenary/Commando - if you are Sorcerer or Operative, faceroll him. If you are neither, use interrupts, CC to disrupt them as much as you can, especially healers.

Vanguard/Powertech - if you are Sorcerer or Operative, faceroll him. If you are well geared Marauder, take him head on. If you are any other class, call for more friends.

Mercenary/Commando - if you are Sorcerer or Operative, faceroll him. If you are neither, use interrupts, CC to disrupt them as much as you can, especially healers.

Op/Scoundrel cannot faceroll an equally geared biochem powertech/vanguard alone. Does not happen without massive RNG help.

Idk about sorcs.

Hmmm... excuse me one sec....

(Looks at Kolto Overload and Adrenaline Rush)

Ya... 15% health over 10 seconds on a 3 minute cooldown. Totally overpowered healing right there!

This is another case of either didn't see the healer, or the person was Biochem.

You only get Kolto Overload if you go up tactics tree which is not the tank tree. Also that 15% hp isn't that great, it dosen't even count towards your total healing. I always just pick a healer from the group, make em my *****, put my leash on em and tell em to heal my shiny ***. That coupled with my 55% damage reduc, 40% shield chance, 15% defense chance, 45% absorption plus rakata medpacs and stims, and relics I rarely if ever die in a warzone. So are troopers and BH OP? No, the dps just suck in this game.

Let me clarify something for you

Vanguard/Powertech have a grapple pull, but no knockback

Commando/Mercenary have a knockback, but no grapple pull

Commando/Mercenary have the castable heals, Vanguard/Powertech do not

The tracer/grav spam spec falls to the Commando/mercenary.

The self healing CD you are referring to heals for 15% over TEN seconds. At 15k health, I get about 200 something every second while it's active. That's about enough to outpace a dot, but will give me about 1-2 globals more of health. It's really only good for giving us some more longevity early on in a fight, pretty much useless as a defensive cooldown to pop when things are getting messy.

The most common mercenary/commando will be tracer/grav round spec, the one that just sits and turrets into you. The way you deal with this is pounding them with interrupts, cc, and los them if you can't do either. They have almost no instant damage they can apply without chain casting, so if you repeatedly los, you will wear them down quite quickly while they do almost no damage to you.

Let me clarify something for you

Vanguard/Powertech have a grapple pull, but no knockback

Commando/Mercenary have a knockback, but no grapple pull

Commando/Mercenary have the castable heals, Vanguard/Powertech do not

The tracer/grav spam spec falls to the Commando/mercenary.

The self healing CD you are referring to heals for 15% over TEN seconds. At 15k health, I get about 200 something every second while it's active. That's about enough to outpace a dot, but will give me about 1-2 globals more of health. It's really only good for giving us some more longevity early on in a fight, pretty much useless as a defensive cooldown to pop when things are getting messy.

The most common mercenary/commando will be tracer/grav round spec, the one that just sits and turrets into you. The way you deal with this is pounding them with interrupts, cc, and los them if you can't do either. They have almost no instant damage they can apply without chain casting, so if you repeatedly los, you will wear them down quite quickly while they do almost no damage to you.

So what is the dome shield thing they pop and aoe slam that damages?

They must have several cooldowns that mitigate damage, all the while doing massive damage.

They must have several cooldowns that mitigate damage, all the while doing massive damage.

The dome is a 25% damage reduction cooldown. Really not that amazing, good, but a lot of times it doesn't even make a difference.

Commando's get 2 defensive cooldowns. The heal and the dome shield.

Commando's get, for aoe:

An aoe knockback, 25 second CD with the set bonus 15 sec cd as tracer/grav round spec.

Mortar volley a targeted aoe on the ground you can avoid

A frontal cone channeled aoe

Plasma grenade, which puts a dot+direct damage to anyone caught near the target they cast it on.

And a spammable channeled aoe that does piddly damage

There is no aoe knockback that does massive damage. The knockback commando/mercs get does only a little bit of damage, and I'm pretty sure that exists so you can't move people who are mezz cc'ed without breaking the cc.

They must have a pusback mechanic. Pull might just be mercs. That 15% must scale very well on those 19k powertechs/vanguards I see healing themselves with that dome shield up.

IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL. Show me how a 1v1 fight goes when a powertech/vanguard is geared please.

Knockback is mercs and pull is powertech. 15% of 19k is only a 2850 heal over time, Rakata medpacks heal for over 5k and an additional 2 or 3k over time and is more likely what you are seeing.

I can kill them on my Rage Juggernaut but not all of them and they are hands down the toughest class for me to fight. I'd say the same about troopers but either the ones i've came across aren't as well geared or just not as good players as they seem easier, even though they technically shoudn't be. Just how a tank should be IMO, it's the other tanks that are poor in comparison rather than PT being too good IMO.

Edited by Kabaal

That "dome shield" is 25% damage reduction for 10 seconds on a 2 minute cooldown. That's the only mitigation cooldown. Powertechs/Vanguards damage is hardly massive; someone was probably taking ranged shots at you and/or healing the powertech and you didn't take notice.

Best way to kill a powertech/vanguard is to CC whenever possible and maintain your DPS. Their armor only mitigates kinetic and energy attacks, so focus on attacks that do other damage types (elemental, internal, etc).

Don't try to kite them like you would other melee classes; doesn't work.

On a side note, you mentioned that the guy had near 20k hitpoints and you only have 15k. He probably seriously outgeared you.

Edited by BogeyBot

The bubble is 25% damage reduction with 12s duration and 2 min cooldown. One spec can lower its cd by being hit, iirc, but it will be a DPS spec, and most likely not using a tank stance.

They can spec for Smoke Grenade, 20% AoE accuracy debuff of questionable importance, if half of abilities ignores accuracy.

They can use shield generater to mitigate damage...but shield generator is bypassed by tech/force attacks.

Anything else will be most likely a relic, adrenal or a medikit.

Vanguards / Powertechs have a shield that decreases incoming damage by 25% for 12 seconds or so, on a 2 minute cooldown. Seeing how we're often focused that's a handy, but hardly overpowered skill in WZ's.

As for massive damage, if we spec in the tank tree (which depends on shield absorption that is apparently useless against a great number of abilities in PvP), I don't think you'll be seeing massive damage at all. I don't have much experience in the DPS tree, but I think you can look toward consumables there, as with any class atm.

It's a very strong 1vs1 class yes and a tank, but not much more than that imo.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

sorry noob alert here, but what do you mean by faceroll him? you see have this same problem that the op mentions. I am a sorceror with most points in healing tree and a few scatrtered in other two trees for the power cost reduction and the stat bonuses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E1NDZiLIvg&feature=context&context=C3ca2febADOEgsToPDskLTbE2y1j5BZoDQJ4zhQc2R

Im guessing the general opinion will be that im terribad; no argue there as i got mad frustrated trying to kill this guy, note that im full champ set, 1500 str and 1400 end. you dont see it due to the lousy quality, but did 300k dmg, 100k above nr2 on the list.

Disclaimer; this is NOT a show of skill, since clearly there arn't any!

Edited by zoranporan

I have a Trooper and I have trouble with marauders speed. They just move so fast when attacking me its hard for me to keep los on them. 90% of my skills i need to stand still to attack. so I'm usually not actually attacking them 1 out of 3 skills I use. But other then that 1vs1 I either win or the person who is attacking me gets bored and moves on to someone else. Well also IA can kill me if they catch me from behind with my pants down (CC Breaker on CD) Edited by Ssfbistimg

Title.

Kill it with FIRE!

Title.

Huge hitpoints. endurance/tank gear Heals (instant?) merc, a pushback merc and pull mechanic powertech, and a ton of sustained dps (dot dot unload) pyrotech.

Make up your mind already!

People should really try to learn about classes they fight before posting bs.

Edited by Vesperr