Grinding social points

LMYoda

Social points are far from "social". People grind them running normal BT again and again.

You don't usually get social points from doing heroic group quests with other people because the group disbands as soon as the quest is done.

BW needs to make a change. Social points should be awarded when the quest objective is completed.

It's not the only way to get them. Grouping up and levelling with a friend which is fairly social gets you points.

I'm lvl 50 and like the majority of people I didn't level with a friend. Now how do I get them? The most efficient way I know is grinding BT.

I'm lvl 50 and like the majority of people I didn't level with a friend. Now how do I get them? The most efficient way I know is grinding BT.

That's a very valid point.

I've got one char I level with someone else but the others I haven't grouped up ever. I'm hoping there isn't really anything vital sold by social vendors because the chances of me obtaining them are fairly slim.

Personally I think it's rediculous that you don't get social points for running hard modes..... how is that not social?!

Indeed. It is quite ridiculous. Have been for example running ALL HM FP:s each day for the last four days. So that's 24 flashpoints ran in total and the gain? Since I started ran with this group I have gained in total an amazing 28 social points...

So I am sitting at about 340 points rank 1. Should I ever deceide to start pugging again I would assume many would believe simply by inspecting me that I have never ran any flashpoints at all because of my score. Also that I am mr antisocial. It is annoying.

I leveled with a friend to 50, I have 4000 social points. Maybe you guys with no social points could have been more social?

Imagine if 3 people or 4 people leveled completely to 50 together. They'd be very social point worthy.

So you believe it is not considered social to have done about 75% of all 4 man group quests and ran countless hard mode flashpoints? Both of those doesn't give points. Group quests are always done when people already have gone through the conversation to get them and have them in the log. Hence zero gain.

Many of us didn't have an opportunity to have someone that we could lvl with for normal quests. To cordinate exactly what lvl and what zone etc.

Well, social points aren't awarded for grouping-killing-disbanding but rather for taking part in the story together. They're not about grinding - even though some players will undoubtedly do just that. So having a very high social score should mainly be an indication that you took the extra effort to group up not just for the firepower, but for a consistent advancement through the story.

That said, I don't think people who don't do that are antisocial or something - I've met a lot of people who are great fun to be around, even if they didn't stay for the mission turn-in. So "social points" is probably not the ideal name for the system...

I myself rather like getting something "extra" for playing with other people. For my main char I only play with my brother anyway, and some of my alts - especially those I play when noone on my friendlist is online - just won't have as many social points in the end.

Im leveling with a group of 3 (me and 2 friends) for my Sith warrior character. We do every mission and dialog together. We are almost at lv 4 on social points and i am level 27....

my other character i level with 1 friend and have just turned lv 4 social at level 36

as the people above stated. Social points are for social people. They are not hard to get if you level with others.

for those of you who do not have socail points, you arent missing out on much except the joy of being able to dress your favorite female companion up in a skimpy slave girl outfit. (well thats all i use it for at least)

Edited by tcalusine

for those of you who do not have socail points, you arent missing out on much except the joy of being able to dress your favorite female companion up in a skimpy slave girl outfit. (well thats all i use it for at least)

I've seen a few of them LOL

in general, ive never seen another bar, in this game or another, that would be so slow to progress. I look at items with social V on it and laugh.I'd have to run FPs 24/7 for a year. My valor bar smokes. God knows my xp bar and legacy bar is super speedy. By 50, even several of my companion's affection bars are maxed. My crew skills? 400/400/400 ---but social? not even halfway thru soc 1. And Im no slouch with FPs. Come on Bioware give us a bit of a break here. Id like to make social V before the 7th star wars film comes out in 2134.

Well, if you don't do the stuff the points are rewarded for, the bar progesses slower - if you only did one pvp warzone once a month your valor bar wouldn't be overflowing either. And I suppose you went through most of the conversations on your own or skipped a lot of missions on your way up?

I don't think the system's broken there, I think it's supposed to be like that. You get endgame gear for repeatedly running endgame content, but you'd have to go through conversations alongside other players for "social" points.

Once again, the naming of the points is a bit off, what with it carrying the implication that players who don't share the very specific play style to earn them aren't "social". That's just not true.

in general, ive never seen another bar, in this game or another, that would be so slow to progress. I look at items with social V on it and laugh.I'd have to run FPs 24/7 for a year. My valor bar smokes. God knows my xp bar and legacy bar is super speedy. By 50, even several of my companion's affection bars are maxed. My crew skills? 400/400/400 ---but social? not even halfway thru soc 1. And Im no slouch with FPs. Come on Bioware give us a bit of a break here. Id like to make social V before the 7th star wars film comes out in 2134.

You sound like you have some sort of max my stats OCD...

Your just looking at it all wrong. Its not really like crew skills or even valor really where you have to "GRIND" to get it. I get all my social points because I play the game with 1 to 2 people grouped for all missions in story and we are leveling together. So naturally im getting social points for every dialog choice in the game.

So while you are Max level 50, with you 400 crews and stupid high valor... im still enjoying the story and leveling at a slower pace with friends and getting social points (that don't even really do anything)

I dont expect to max every stat in the game. I would rather have stats be harder to attain so everybody isn't all just "max level all skills" at 50.

I leveled with a friend to 50, I have 4000 social points. Maybe you guys with no social points could have been more social?

Imagine if 3 people or 4 people leveled completely to 50 together. They'd be very social point worthy.

Which is fine if you have someone that is on for your exact playtime.

But if that isn't the case (which it isn't for most people), it's a completely pointless statement.

Like saying "it's easy not to be poor if you're rich".

The social point system is a decent idea, but it DOES have many flaws, often not giving people much option, but to grind it. It shouldn't do that, and no only for people that have some else to group with 100% of their play time.

I don't think you need to do the full leveling process in a group - but if you don't happen to have someone you can "schedule" your playtime with, you're required to find a group on your own - which is exactly what is being rewarded.

Since my brother can't play more than once or twice a week, my smuggler progresses through the game much slower than an alt I play all on my own. If I want social points for that alt, I'll have to find someone else to group with. If that's too much to ask for, I can be completely indepent from other players, don't need to put effort in the search for a group and whatnot, but I don't get the points.

Like I don't get fleet commendations if I can't be bothered to do space missions or I don't get valor if I don't pvp.

Well, social points aren't awarded for grouping-killing-disbanding but rather for taking part in the story together. They're not about grinding - even though some players will undoubtedly do just that. So having a very high social score should mainly be an indication that you took the extra effort to group up not just for the firepower, but for a consistent advancement through the story.

That said, I don't think people who don't do that are antisocial or something - I've met a lot of people who are great fun to be around, even if they didn't stay for the mission turn-in. So "social points" is probably not the ideal name for the system...

I myself rather like getting something "extra" for playing with other people. For my main char I only play with my brother anyway, and some of my alts - especially those I play when noone on my friendlist is online - just won't have as many social points in the end.

I like the system's idea - like you, having something extra for playing with others is a nice idea. But I'd argue that the emphasis Bioware places on each individual having their own story, it does to a certain extent detract from the desire to group or be social. I know that I, for one, was so invested in seeing the responses my Light Sith got to her decisions that I didn't want to turn in quests with others most of the time because, at least as far as I can tell, the majority of the Imperial players are Dark Side die-hards.

And that's just one example. If social points can be accrued through questing together, why not doing other group content - perhaps you could argue not PvP (though I've met some good people on my server this way) but Hard Mode Flashpoints or Operations are, for many, the main social focus of the game, yet they yield no points.

Social points are not required for anything but social clothing. Also all social clothing is light armor. so when I put Vette into the slave girl outfit she is gimped on armor class to a degree and you can never make it as good as an equivalent level med or heavy armor. That right there makes social clothes just about worthless except for gimped stat aesthetics.

So don't cry about having max every skill but social. Its just a fluff stat anyways.

True - but the risk of someone winning the dice role and taking the conversation down a path you don't prefer is probably the price you pay for those nifty additional outfits - or the satisfaction of having every stat maxed out, which is a perfectly good reason for many players of mumorpurgers do want social points in itself.

The question is: Where should be the line between getting not getting any social points? The decision to exclude hardmode flashpoints and operations from the social system reflects exactly on the original idea - that you get the points for advancing through the story alongside others. Flashpoints and operations you run again and again isn't story progress - if they were a source for social points, people could just do their story/leveling on their own and get social points later.

In my opinion, the difference here lies in the "doing something extra". Hardmode flashpoints and operations always need to be done in a group - you don't do anything extra. Standart, run-off-the-mill missions can be done solo, or you put in the extra effort to find a group and run through the conversations together, even risking that you don't always get to make the decision.

Another idea here: When forming a group, people should be able to make up a hierarchy, if so desired. Imagine you find three people who also want to do the group stuff together for fun and social points, but they don't really care about the outcome of the dialogue or they defer to you because of your rank - you're sith after all. So you are allowed to take the lead in conversations (win all roles), while others still make their choices for light/dark points and affection. The "winning" amount of points could still be awarded to the one with the highest number.

Characters like smugglers or bounty hunters could even put a price on keeping their trap shut during conversations: "You take the lead on that one, Mr. Sith Guy. That'll be 3.000 Creds, thank you very much."

Social points are not required for anything but social clothing. Also all social clothing is light armor. so when I put Vette into the slave girl outfit she is gimped on armor class to a degree and you can never make it as good as an equivalent level med or heavy armor. That right there makes social clothes just about worthless except for gimped stat aesthetics.

So don't cry about having max every skill but social. Its just a fluff stat anyways.

Some non-combat pets and mounts are locked until the higher levels so it's not all just light armor.

To all the people saying "well it's working as intended, I level with my friend so I have more" I don't disagree with you, but I play a sizeable portion of this game with other people - be it warzones or Flashpoints. I find it a little odd that hanging out with my friends and doing things as a group doesn't net any social points if either a) the dungeon is tuned to being level 50 or b) it doesn't have an interactive cutscene.

I'm all for the system - but if it's designed to reward group play then let it reward forms of group play other than levelling with your buddies.

I'd actually quite like some of the social rewards - but the kind of social play I engage in doesn't give me many points. Am I somehow being less social by premade PvPing with people from my server, both in and outside of my guild? By making friends with people I see in warzones regularly?