Switching from healing to DPS

Jilla

Okay, I am on a weird server I think... most groups are LF1- DPS. There seems to be an abundance of healers. Even my own guild is full of healers and tanks. So I respecced as a hybrid (DPS/Heals) to finish leveling and to get a spot in flashpoints... well, started to anyway. Now I am thinking, the heck with it, I will go all out DPS. But I am terrible thinking in DPS terms since I've played nothing but healers for the past few years in other games.

I am looking at this for a PvE DPS build (I found it on another forum). Does it look good for that purpose?

Also, any other tips for Merc DPS? Thanks!

power barrier over critical reaction for pve... if you are doing your job right you WILL get agro.

whenever unload timers reset hit that button, it is the most heat/damage efficient attach we have (except rapid shot which uses no heat)

Thanks again for the tips. I posted a thread in the DPS section too (so get more of a feel for group roles). I think I know the basics, but I like to be sure before I a make a fool of myself (and yes, I probably will do something silly).

I need to also get a better feel for DPS rotations. I just need to do a little more digging in this forum to see what sorts of things have worked for others. Although it seems to boil down to AoE DPS or single target DPS (depending on the target(s) and situation).

One thing I can say for sure, a DPS specced Merc kills things pretty quickly. I feel like I can cut though groups of mobs and kill them all before they even get a chance to fire back. And it's fun taking out elites in 5-6 shots (I stack that tracer missile and can usually finish off with a rail shot).

It's not that weird. I've been noticing this as well for certain level ranges. Seems there's a good amount of healers leveling.

I've also noticed it's pretty rare someone asks for a tank right now.

I've noticed a lack of calling for tanks too. I'll even see people spamming "healer LFG" or "tank LFG" (along with people who have a tank and healer and need DPS). That kind of thing was unheard of in the last game I played.

I am so glad that going healing vs DPS is as simple as reallocating points in skill trees. If this DPS gig doesn't work out for whatever reason, I can always go back to healing :)

yeah on my server and in my guild, dps is lacking, never played a game full of healers and tanks, i think it is due to companions, if you are healer pull out the tank, if you are tank pull out the healer, survivability is high... me, i pull out my pocket healer and dps them into the ground long before they can kill me.

couple things:

afterburners and jet escape are really pvp talent only. Pretty useless for anything else. Personally id take power barrier all day over either of those talents.

also id put the 2 points in custom enviro suit over the tech acc.

good luck!

I was thinking of going all out dps too, as I'm using the hybrid spec stickied, but kinda getting slow at lvl 42 when killing mobs. I have dps talents all the way up to terminal velocity.

It seems to me that higher up dps talents are worthless for PVE questing- as they rely on a ramp up. Would it be easier just to run witha dps companion like Torian or Gault?

Edited by Lazzerswords