Why so few Powertechs?

MatzahMaul

I am thinking about starting a new character. I already have a healing Mercenary at level 20, but my main is a Juggernaut tank. Reading through my guild's roster I see that along with Snipers, Powertechs are in few numbers. Plenty of Mercs, but few Powertechs.

I do not know which tree I would choose, maybe I'll check out the tanking tree, I dunno.

Is there a reason why Mercs outnumber Powertechs? Or is it just that people want dual pistols?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about starting a new character. I already have a healing Mercenary at level 20, but my main is a Juggernaut tank. Reading through my guild's roster I see that along with Snipers, Powertechs are in few numbers. Plenty of Mercs, but few Powertechs.

I do not know which tree I would choose, maybe I'll check out the tanking tree, I dunno.

Is there a reason why Mercs outnumber Powertechs? Or is it just that people want dual pistols?

My Shield Powertech is level 47 atm. I've enjoyed him very much, and can hold aggro and soak damage with the best of them. It takes some getting used to tanking with both ranged and melee abilities. But, it's definitely a solid class overall.

I played a Merc to 44 in beta and and now playing a PT only lvl 15 ATM..after playing a Jedi Tank I like how the PT plays .. easy transition from Guardian->PT..

sadly as a lvl 10 BT(without even choosing my advanced class) I did so much better than I ever did on my Jedi :(

I played a Merc to 44 in beta and and now playing a PT only lvl 15 ATM..after playing a Jedi Tank I like how the PT plays .. easy transition from Guardian->PT..

sadly as a lvl 10 BT(without even choosing my advanced class) I did so much better than I ever did on my Jedi :(

AOE. BH get's AOE, good AOE. Jedi get AOE, but it's does a fraction of the damage.

On a side note. I was also thinking of making a Marauder. I would get to play the light-side of the SW story. Not have to worry about much, other than threat and green goo/fire. Then again, I could also just go AP or Pyro.

I am perfectly fine with having fewer Powertechs around.

We get down and dirty and don't need pretty or cool when we can dish out pain and take punishment.

There is something inherently awesome about slugging it out with flame, blade fist and piece.

In the immortal words of the Bard;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Edited by Blackire

No one knows how cool we are. My guilds pretty surprised at my full ST tanking ability. A low damage but very high survivability build. Good for warzone objectives like hutball carrier and distraction. I often have 3-5 of the other team beating on me while my teammates take the objective.

I think since the game is so young, not many people have found their right class yet. I mostly see fools running around with their lightsabres. All my friends were like "O___o" when we ran our first Hard Mode and I flew up in the air, bombarded my enemies with fire, SHORYUKEN them in the face, make the whole flashpoint explode in a huge mushroom cloud of fire.

They stood there with their lightsabres in awe.

Its because people still haven't figured out that all classes and AC do amount the same damage/heals/tank just have advantages and disadvantages. Its all about play style and look. A lot of people like the look of merc and honestly people think they are better dps which is not true. The AC that i never see is the the PT counter part vanguard. I have not seen a single one ever.

There are two answers to your question and they arre related so im not surre what order to put them in. I was a bear tank in the other mmo for years if tthat gives you an idea where im comeing from. Well here goes 1) people are AFRAID of tanking. Tanks and tank specs AND a player that is willing to tank is a harder combo to find in an mmo then even a healer.

In the other mmo, even with duel specs, and a cross sever lfg tool, dps had a 30 min que time. Healers had ten min, as a tank it was instant. As aa druid i couuld duel spec and fill any of the three so i kknow this is true.

So how does this apply here, well thats point 2) the belife that mercs are dps and/or healers and that pt are malee tanks. Well most people dont want to tank, and those that want to malee picked something with a saber.

I played a merc to 28 partly bc i couldnt see haveing a pet and not beinng able to heal it. Didnt relize how great mako is. Liked pvp alot and just accepted that i died alot to ssaber classes. Saw a pt in pvp and he was awsome. Knew i had to try. Only 11 so far and had MUCH more fun. As more people see how rounded the pt is, more will play, but i expect this will continue to be one of the most fun, but lest played classes in the game, but thats ok, druids were too.

I was on the fence about what to make my alt (main is a hybrid Sorc), but this definitely sealed the deal. Thank you, sirrah.

In the immortal words of the Bard;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

No joke. I am the only PT in my guild of 40+ people. People LFTank and I join and they go, what the hell are you? then they are pleasantly surprised I can tank and pull the adds at the same time. PT is a beast and I hope NO ONE figures it out. I don't want to be flavor of the month anytime soon. ^^

I think since the game is so young, not many people have found their right class yet. I mostly see fools running around with their lightsabres. All my friends were like "O___o" when we ran our first Hard Mode and I flew up in the air, bombarded my enemies with fire, SHORYUKEN them in the face, make the whole flashpoint explode in a huge mushroom cloud of fire.

They stood there with their lightsabres in awe.

Haha this is so true.

Its because people still haven't figured out that all classes and AC do amount the same damage/heals/tank just have advantages and disadvantages. Its all about play style and look. A lot of people like the look of merc and honestly people think they are better dps which is not true. The AC that i never see is the the PT counter part vanguard. I have not seen a single one ever.

I don't blame em... i mean i could happily resist the lure of 2 pistols because i knew the cool toys that powertechs get. But have you seen that cannon! Just makes you want to make loud manly grunting noises and beat your chest looking at the thing

This is very true for me. I keep going for the flashy classes... but they haven't "felt" good to me. I played a Merc in beta and I see them everywhere so I rolled a PT. I am low level still, but the class seems like it will be fun.

Most people are under 12 years old and like light sabers. It is to be expected.

In all seriousness, I honestly don't know why. I played 5-6 classes to 10-25 in beta and on release and finally decided on the BH. I went with PT because I wanted to tank. It is turning out to be incredibly versatile and fun. I am enjoying it a lot, and so far, I can tank very well.

I have no problem being a less played class. I think basically every BH I have seen is Mercenary for the most part. I have maybe seen 1 or 2 Powertechs my entire time running around and leveling.

Honestly, I am really glad I went PT. The channeling, lack of mobility and stupid Tracer missile spam I have seen on videos for Mercenary looks freaking stupid and boring. The fact that you can even kill things by pressing one button is mind boggling ... I am loving PT so far! :)

On a Pvp server I'm going full Advanced Tactics tree. My goal is DPS but heavy crowd control with mobility and survivability. Going shield tree will be much safer and tank-worthy. Going pyro tree may be more fun and easy dps. But from my research if I can master the keybinds and melee mobility Tactics can squeeze more out with advanced play.

My main is a 40 Commando/Combat Medic on a Pve server. In Warzones I am tired of getting ganged upon and killed instantly when I start healing a teammate (even without using the big green 'kill me I'm a healer' ray). Though I'm generally ok with the healing output in flashpoints.

My only gripe about this class is the lack of a 1 min CC.

This would be interesting to give to the AP tree. It seems more focused on utility. A few DPS boosts for it overall and a nice CC ability would bring it a long way, IMO. It seems quite a few steps behind ST and Pyro at the moment.

Powertech is king of aoe tanking, there is so much aoe missiles and fire it's quite silly. The only thing that prevents me from spamming Flame Sweep all day long is heat limit at 100. Plus people think "dude with just 1 blaster? Weak" and decide not to play PT. Then they are amazed how great we own everyone everywhere. Edited by Makhbet