Why keep making people think they might only get one day of EGA?

Legendari

Checked Stephen Reid's twitter page a little bit ago, just to see what kind of info (or non-info) he was giving out and noticed that even in the last hour, he was still telling people if they pre-ordered now they would get "at least one day" of early access.

Now, I know the key part of that sentence is "at least", leaving it open to being more than that. I'm not arguing the accuracy of the statement at all. However, the statement also sets expectations pretty low. If somebody tells me that I'll get at least one day, that implies that there's a chance I'll only get one day. People have been doing this on the forums for some time now as well and I'm sure it's demoralizing to hear, "You'll probably get one day", when there are players getting 6 or 7.

Looking at the rate they are currently rolling out early access (invited the remainder of July, all of Aug & Sept., and up to October 2 today), clearly they are going to get through the rest of the pre-orders in the next day or two. This should give everyone who pre-ordered 4 or 5 days of access, so why not just say there's a pretty good chance of that?

This entire launch has been littered with vague statements and almost no solid information and I think it has really contributed a lot to some of the negative attitudes. Not sure why Bioware continues to do this, but I think it has been the single, glaring screw-up of this launch.

P.S. I pre-ordered in Aug, but didn't enter codes until Nov, so I'm not one of the people asking if they should pre-order now.

Edited by Legendari

It's a trend in gaming companies. Pretty much every single one speaks vaguely and defensively, the community is so quick to jump on it as soon as something isn't perfect, as you can see by the fact they gave early access even earlier than they previously intended to yet it still caused outrage in a vocal minority.

This is probably one of the more logical statements I have read on here all day. I agree with the staggered launch...but on the other hand I do not agree with the fact that it gives some players a major advantage. I read online earlier today that there are already level 30's running around....it's saddening. I feel like EVERYONE should get the same amount of early access to be honest. Is my money and business not as good as everyone else's? You're correct in saying that there has been alot of coercion into believing there will only be 1 day of Early Access for us december folks and honestly I have noticed a bit of taunting by those who are already in....saying things like "stop complaining". I am not complaining but I want fairness.

Why tell people they will get more for sure ?

What if all the servers crash tonight and they dont do waves tomorrow ?

What if login server dies ?

If you give people a set date, then people Rage even harder.

Oh yes, everyone will be in by friday.

*** its sat and im not in ULTRA MEGA RAAAAAGE

Now, I know the key part of that sentence is "at least", leaving it open to being more than that. I'm not arguing the accuracy of the statement at all. However, the statement also sets expectations pretty low.

That's exactly the point. IT should *always* set expectations low because then if somethign goes wrong that you considered very unlikely or forgot to check (Wow, what do you mean the server room overheated? We've got to upgrade the air-conditioning in there before we can bring up the next set of servers!?!?!) you actually have time to address the issue without welching on your commitments to users. On the other hand, if you manage to deliver early your users breathe a sigh of relief and thank you... At least that's the theory, however all I see this user community doing in spite of Bioware delivering ahead of what they said they would in writing is a bunch of whining.

You know I really feel that its because most people read "Up to 5 days early access" and assume that they will automatically get the 5 days. And to be honest I kind of thought that as well...I am more disappointed about not being able to play than angry at the company. BioWare makes many great games and I think this one will be amazing as well.

Well, 2 reasons mainly...

The post stress test crowd is as large, if not larger then the first day crowd.... So invites will probably slow down a great deal once they get to that group (which will include the huge number of people screwed over by Best Buy and Gamestop and did not get it fixed until recently).

Secondly, they are really worried of some catastrophic breakdown... which is causing them to be overly careful in my opinion... with both the number and rate of invites, and with announcements.

This is probably one of the more logical statements I have read on here all day. I agree with the staggered launch...but on the other hand I do not agree with the fact that it gives some players a major advantage. I read online earlier today that there are already level 30's running around....it's saddening. I feel like EVERYONE should get the same amount of early access to be honest. Is my money and business not as good as everyone else's? You're correct in saying that there has been alot of coercion into believing there will only be 1 day of Early Access for us december folks and honestly I have noticed a bit of taunting by those who are already in....saying things like "stop complaining". I am not complaining but I want fairness.

They're obviously better people than you'll ever be for having pre-ordered at an earlier date. How dare you taint their forum with your incessant whining! You should hang your head in shame now for not throwing your money at Bioware for a product you knew absolutely nothing about and had no pricing structure announced.

Your money goes to the purchase of the game +30 days starting on Dec 20th. That's what you paid for and that's what you're going to get. You didn't "pay" for Early Access.

Checked Stephen Reid's twitter page a little bit ago, just to see what kind of info (or non-info) he was giving out and noticed that even in the last hour, he was still telling people if they pre-ordered now they would get "at least one day" of early access.

Now, I know the key part of that sentence is "at least", leaving it open to being more than that. I'm not arguing the accuracy of the statement at all. However, the statement also sets expectations pretty low. If somebody tells me that I'll get at least one day, that implies that there's a chance I'll only get one day. People have been doing this on the forums for some time now as well and I'm sure it's demoralizing to hear, "You'll probably get one day", when there are players getting 6 or 7.

Looking at the rate they are currently rolling out early access (invited the remainder of July, all of Aug & Sept., and up to October 2 today), clearly they are going to get through the rest of the pre-orders in the next day or two. This should give everyone who pre-ordered 4 or 5 days of access, so why not just say there's a pretty good chance of that?

This entire launch has been littered with vague statements and almost no solid information and I think it has really contributed a lot to some of the negative attitudes. Not sure why Bioware continues to do this, but I think it has been the single, glaring screw-up of this launch.

P.S. I pre-ordered in Aug, but didn't enter codes until Nov, so I'm not one of the people asking if they should pre-order now.

I hope posting about it satisfies you, because you aren't getting in any faster.

Why tell people they will get more for sure ?

What if all the servers crash tonight and they dont do waves tomorrow ?

What if login server dies ?

If you give people a set date, then people Rage even harder.

Oh yes, everyone will be in by friday.

*** its sat and im not in ULTRA MEGA RAAAAAGE

What this guy said.

If I was Bioware I would tell you punks absolutely nothing given how much nerdrage you have for even the smallest things....

They shouldn't say a word because God forbid anything happen and it be an hour later than expected. Then RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

They're obviously better people than you'll ever be for having pre-ordered at an earlier date. How dare you taint their forum with your incessant whining! You should hang your head in shame now for not throwing your money at Bioware for a product you knew absolutely nothing about and had no pricing structure announced.

I said I wasnt complaining. I just believe in fairness. I dont think its fair to pit a level 1 against a level 30 do you? If they're going to do early access I just personally believe that EVERYONE should get the same amount of time. Thats my point. I think they're doing a great job of getting as many people in but I just disagree with the staggering. You should get out of this thread with your trolling.

I think he knows he screwed up and pretty much put people in forced ques that span days rather then a server que. (which is going to happen anyway if your guild or friends happen to start on a populated server)

Then again he might just be telling himself what they did was perfectly fine. Who knows, we will see if they try to get in all the pre-orders today and tomorrow and understand what they did wrong or actually end up putting some people in a 5-6 day que instead.

It's a trend in gaming companies. Pretty much every single one speaks vaguely and defensively, the community is so quick to jump on it as soon as something isn't perfect, as you can see by the fact they gave early access even earlier than they previously intended to yet it still caused outrage in a vocal minority.

minority ? u do know that the minority killed swtor site last night few times

Marketing. That is the only reason they did the early access to begin with. Apologists will tell you "it's a gift" which is moronic on so many levels but the truth of it all is marketing.

I said I wasnt complaining. I just believe in fairness. I dont think its fair to pit a level 1 against a level 30 do you? If they're going to do early access I just personally believe that EVERYONE should get the same amount of time. Thats my point. I think they're doing a great job of getting as many people in but I just disagree with the staggering. You should get out of this thread with your trolling.

Well someone's sarcasm detector sure isn't functioning today...