Blackout

The real question is... "Why do we have 2 tank companions?"

Don't all classes really get

1 Healer

1 Ranged DPS

1 Ranged Tank

1 Melee DPS

1 Melee Tank

What it looks like to me. I think Bioware didn't want folks complaining about fairness with companions.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Xaleck user here.

Sih Src Healer, now L50. I have him decked in all oranges, with Endurance above Willpower.

I solo dailies in Ilum and Belsavis and Her+2s.

I also started with Khem, switched to Ashara, but when I got Xaleck I noticed right away he lasted much longer. I bubble him, heal him, and add some damage when I can to speed things up. For agro, I send him in and wait a couple of seconds, when mobs turn towards him then I jump in, heal or even attack and I have no issues. I turned off his AOE and works like a charm.

Here is the thing, in my very humble opinion he might be a lesser tank, but I think he deals a bit more damage and that makes the fights go faster. As a healer, long lasting fights can drain your force, so having somebody that can finish the fight a bit faster helps me. Ashara is faster, but then she is weaker and thus gets killed faster. I think for this use it is important to keep him Endurance heavy. Because I tend to get more end/will drops, it is easier to equip him.

I don't PvP, this is all PvE...

As a healer, when i do my dailies I have switched between both tanks, and do not note much of a difference. I keep Xalek out because I prefer him cosmetically/rp wise over Khem. I solo lvl 50 elites and champions with ease with Xalek so i see no reason to ever change. So i really do not understand the "Xalek sucks so bad" threads.

You'd be way more effective at it with a geared Ashara, is all I'm suggesting.

Although if I was forced to pick between Khem and Xalek, I'd pick Xalek for the previous posters reasons (more dps output)

Edited by islander

I think there are some realities to consider.

Companions are a PvE tool, and when you solo, there is only two of you. If the companion is a healer and you are fully tank, who is going to DPS? And if you Tank and somebody DPS, then... See, with two, somebody has to compromise and not be 100% tank or 100% heal or dps.

I solo almost 99% of the time. On my tank, I just got Vette and Jaesa at "love ya" 100% points, so I am trying to get Quinn up. I started playing Vette, then switched to Jaesa (a bit fragile but quick) and now I have Quinn on heal/bit of damage with me doing tank/dps. So see, they are all compromises. If my char was PvP driven, I would be 100% tank.

If you outfit/gear the companion to be 100% XXX (tank, dps, whichever) then YOU will have to compromise a bit. If you gear them to compromise, you can stay more pure to your play. My sorc is 100% heal, so I compromise Xaleck's build to tank/dps. I find it harder to do that with Khem (much more intent on been a tank).

I have been paying a lot more attention to the companion build lately, and I think you have to keep at least three geared up : a ranged option of course, a tank/dps and a healer or healer with damage.

I hate the stupid robots... :-P

If you want to use Xalek, you need to play to his strength. That means not giving him shield rating OR absorption rating and ONLY Defense Rating/Accuracy/crit/surge. Hopefully they fix his bugs.

Just because you -can- use Xalek doesn't mean the developers should not fix his glaringly obvious errors. He'll be a better tank once his other secondary stats are fixed.

And if your Xalek does have shield/absorption... you're doing wrong... like a PvE healer that's covered in accuracy gear wrong.

I do prefer to use Khem however. I wish Khem had charge instead of sprint though.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully fixed in 1.2, but he still sucks in full rakata gear. (im comparing him to other classes ranged tanks, and khem val.)

Still not fixed in 1.2

Sucks too cause i blew 300k+ gearing him up and didn't know about the bug till i looked at his stats. Came here and searched and yeah.

Still not fixed in 1.2

Sucks too cause i blew 300k+ gearing him up and didn't know about the bug till i looked at his stats. Came here and searched and yeah.

What is Xalek's base def 5% or 10%?

If its 10% do you think maybe that is why his shield/absorb is at base?

My tank companion at 50 in full purples is

27% reduction

12% def

41% Shield

38% Absorb

If Xalek is 10% def, he would be?

**% reduction

22% - 24% def

25% shield?

20% absorb?

If above is correct I don't see an issue, he is still as viable as my tank that has half his def. I would say he is even better since Def works on everything.

Edited by Brakner

But someone said previously in this thread it works its just the default value and won't modify when shield/absorb is added. Which is it?

Default Shield and Absorb come from the stance and shield item it self, putting them at 25% Shield and 20%Absorb. The problem is the extra rating from gear is not adding to this.

When you mouse over lets say Shield it says he has 112 rating it then it shows how much that 112 rating is worth for him it adds 0%. But for Khem and all other tank companions that 112 rating gives them ~6.59% shield chance.

Default Shield and Absorb come from the stance and shield item it self, putting them at 25% Shield and 20%Absorb. The problem is the extra rating from gear is not adding to this.

When you mouse over lets say Shield it says he has 112 rating it then it shows how much that 112 rating is worth for him it adds 0%. But for Khem and all other tank companions that 112 rating gives them ~6.59% shield chance.

Ok so he gets 25% shield and 20% absorb base that is not modified by gear.

As I said earlier he also has double the defense of all other tank companions. Why would Bioware allow him to have a 22% + Defense and the same shield/absorb (40% range) as other tank companions? overpowered much?

To me it looks like Bioware did this on purpse to balance the fact his defense is so much higher.

IMHO

Edited by Brakner

Ok so he gets 25% shield and 20% absorb that is not modified by gear.

As I said earlier he also has double the defense of all other tank companions. Why would Bioware allow him to have a 22% + Defense and the same shield/absorb (40% range) as other tank companions? overpowered much?

To me it looks like BIoware did this on purpse to balance the fact his defense is so mcuh higher.

IMHO

The +5% Defense he gets for a total of 10% base makes up for the huge armor gap between him and other Heavy armor tanks. Granted his form does boost his armor by 42%, but in equal gear lvl his damage reduction from armor is not even close to Heavy wearer.

Head Item for example:

Light 126 rating gives 411 +40% from stance gives him 575.4

Heavy 126 rating gives 776 which is ~88% boost from Light armor

Edited by Joefjr

The +5% Defense he gets for a total of 10% base makes up for the huge armor gap between him and other Heavy armor tanks. Granted his form does boost his armor by 42%, but in equal gear lvl his damage reduction from armor is not even close to Heavy wearer.

huh? My 50 Blizz and 41 Khem Val are both at 28% and 27% armor reduction, their forms do not give them any armor modifier.

Login to the game and look at Khem Vals armor reduction, I think you are mistaken.

Edited by Brakner

huh? My 50 Blizz and 41 Khem Val are both at 28% and 27% armor, their forms do not give them any armor modifier. Login to the game and look at Khem Vals armor , I think you are mistaken.

Like i said in my post Xalek form gives him +42% armor. Didn't say any thing about other tank forms.

Like i said in my post Xalek form gives him +42% armor. Didn't say any thing about other tank forms.

But thats my point , don't you think 42% armor reduction, 22%+ def, 25% shield and 20% absorb on a well equiped 50 Xalek, might be the reason shield/sbsorb are not modifiable?

The armor and defense are double what all other tank companions have. It would be seriously overpowered if you could modify his shield and absorb too.

But thats my point , don't you think 42% armor reduction, 22%+ def, 25% shield and 20% absorb on a well equiped 50 Xalek, might be the reason shield/sbsorb are not modifiable?

The armor and defense are double what all other tank companions have. It would be seriously overpowered if you could modify his shield and absorb too.

It increase his armor by 42% NOT damage reduction by 42%. Even with that boost he is ~5%+ damage reduction behind heavy wearers. So they gave him an extra 5% base Defense. Plus when better gears comes out in 1.2 that ~5% difference in damage reduction is going to increase even more because Heavy armor scales better than his +42% Armor.

Edited by Joefjr

It increase his armor by 42% NOT damage reduction by 42%. Even with that boost he is ~5%+ damage reduction behind heavy wearers. So they gave him an extra 5% base Defense. Plus when better gears comes out in 1.2 that ~5% difference in damage reduction is going to increase even more because Heavy armor scales better than his +42% Armor.

Ok I am not a huge math person but I crunched out some basic numbers based on a heavy armor Companion tank having 30% reduction and Xalek having 25%. Heavy has 12% def and Xalek has 24%.

So with my crappy basic math it looks like Khem will mitigate 24 more damage per 1000 damage taken over Xalek. I think this is a good trade off for the increase in DPS.

Heavy:

10x 100 damage

=880 12% def

-264 for 30% reduction

=616 damage

246 of it = 40% shield

reduced by 98 = 40% absorb

=518 damage / 1000

(keep in mind the 40% shield /absorb is very generous since heavy companions do not have shield/absorb talents)

Xalek:

10x 100 damage

= 760 24% def

-190 for 25% reduction

=570 damage

142 of it =25% shield

28 reduced = 20% absorb

=542 damage / 1000

I am not saying it is not a bug, it might been originally intended this way as a trade off and that is why no answer from the devs.

Edited by Brakner

SNIP

Heavy has 12% def and Xalek has 24%.

SNIP

I am not saying it is not a bug, it might been originally intended this way as a trade off and that is why no answer from the devs.

Your math is wrong on the part because you gave them 12% and 24% def. Defense is avoidance aka no damage taken. It's wrong because you didn't do base values for the defense, it should be 5% heavy and 10% Xalek.

To give you an idea of what i was talking about armor damage reduction gap.

Khem Head only 126 rating gives 6.70% Damage reduction

Xalek Head only 126 rating gives 5.12% Damage reduction

Difference of 1.58%

Khem Head and Chest only both 126 rating gives 12.56% Damage reduction

Xalek Head and Chest only both 126 rating gives 9.74% Damage reduction

Difference of 2.82%

So as you can see the more armor rating they both get the bigger the gap will be between their damage reduction. So when 1.2 comes out and even better gear comes out Xalek with be even farther behind all other tank companions than he is now.

But the point of this thread is the fact that he is not getting properly boosted from his Shield and Absorb rating. Which is a bug, because as of now he is a severely gimp tank.

If this was working as intended they would of come out and said it in the first place, not tell people to report it as a bug.

• 2 months later...

Saying flat out that Xalek can't tank is false and somewhat insulting.

Maybe Xalek doesn't fit your play style. I use Xalek all the time as a healer sorc and he is perfect. Never dies and deals a nice bit of damage while intercepting enemy fire. For me. He is a better tank than Khem Val. For all I know, some of you who say that Xalek is bad could be tanks using him in his tank stance. He works really well for me, so saying that he can't tank is plain false.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.