FPS Performance compared to WoW

thestackshow

I really hope you are right because it is EXTREMELY frustrating having to tweak so many things and try so many band-aid fixes just to play an 8v8 warzone with WoW level graphics when I could just be playing WoW and partaking in an epic 600 person raid or 40v40 battleground at 70 FPS.

I love this game, but I cant continue to justify a subscripting with this problem.

One thing I've noticed on my machine is that in the Fleet and in Warzones my GPU usage drops down into like the 25-40% range for me... that can be corrected with drivers. Hopefully we will see a new set of drivers from nvidia come out soon.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with almost every performance related issue is rooted in the game engine. The engine doesn't support multi-threading, doesn't know how to properly manage video RAM, and is supremely sub-optimized.

Frankly the coding is either lazy or incompetent or both.

There are many threads about the issues with the engine filled with people phenomenally more qualified than myself to explain the details.

If you are experiencing even worse performance than normal (including huge framerate/performance differences in different areas of the game (excluding the fleet)) then it is most likely a driver/hardware issue.

Something is off with the way the game runs. People with i7s and new videocards should have 0 issue with the game in any environment. That isn't the case. Many of the people posting about frame rate in various threads are the homebrew type who are more likely to be using a properly optimized and maintained windows instal.

I have an i7 and gf 580 and have zero issues with the game in any environment. My fps doesn't drop below 50 in warzones with everything on max and manually enabled 8x MSAA and TRAA. It is a freshly installed win 7 64-bit. I also tried to play it on a lenovo laptop with i5 and gf 555m. Again everything on max and I still get above 30 fps in warzones.

No one can't take you serious.

600 ppl in one zone? I remember WoW servers crashing completly.

Actually it was the reason why battlegrounds were implemented, ppl crashed servers with tarrens mill fights :D

The ammount of players ig OG kills my PC below 20 FPS on max settings (2500k+gtx570 oc + water cooling). But there are around 200 players on one spot.

This game has serious FPS issues but for me it's mostly pvp.

But what about all those crappy PCs using a 8800GT instead of a gtx570?

If it sucks for me, then it's horror for everyone else below my specs. If I had to guess, 10% can play without major FPS lag.

no problem in either game with my trusty old 8800gts.

30-40 fps everywhere apart from fleet and never even a stutter in Org :D

It's WoW's fault my rig is so old in the first place, six years out of the hardware arms race was one of it's better qualities :)

Not everyone has these issues, you are one of the lucky people whose setup works perfectly

its still only a minority that are having the issue. If it is 5% of the 1 million players it is a minorty. It seems like a lot because well its 50,000 people however thats still a minorty.

I was pulling 1-10 fps in warzones until last night i updated my graphics driver with the latest ATI beta driver and now i pull 30-40 fps in warzones. I have a ATI 5870 1 gig in my laptop.

I strongly advise anyone having issues completely unistnall your graphics drivers and then make 100% sure you are downloading the latest drivers install them and then restart your computer.

Sorry but are you actually suggesting the FPS is do to with the users' software because if so that's ignorant and a load of rubbish! I have the same card as you (5870) and I get a very steady 60FPS in most places except for the fleet which turns into a slideshow and Warzones where it drops 25 FPS and under. As for Alderaan WZ it is an absolute joke!

If it's not the game how come every other game I have runs flawlessly (such as BF3, WoW, BC2, Crysis 2 Warhead etc) except for this? The SIMPLE FACT is the game is poorly optimized. People with way more powerful systems are experiencing the same problems and everyone in my guild has these issues too.

Also, those that say they do not have problems rarely mention what sort of FPS they get in Alderaan WZ or the Fleet. Also, some consider 25 FPS to be pretty good which I don't by the way. Therefore, if you don't often visit the Fleet or play WZ then it's likely many would say the performance is decent.

As I see it, the engine has terrible trouble coping with many other players in the same area. That's partly why the game is instanced, that's why the Warzone's are only 8v8, that's why the biggest Operation groups are only for 16 players and that's why we have such poor low resolution armour textures.

And yet, i dont have framerate issues. In Alderaan i run a steady 120fps. The only place i dont is fleet. CPU bottlenecked there, like every single player of the game will be.

Occam's Razor. You should look it up.

The very fact that you have the same video card as i do and i dont have framerate issues and you do, proves my point.

People with identical hardware - some have the issue, some dont.

what is the only difference that could cause a conflict?

Installed software.

Occam's Razor.

edit: as an aside; there's a pretty good thread where a guy cleared up his issues by manually disabling CPU throttling. Every single person who has tried his suggestion has had their framerate issues dissappear. So..

ill repeat it again:

the problem is on your machine, somewhere. It could be any number of things causing a conflict.

If it was the engine itself, it would happen to EVERYONE with the same specs on their machine, and it plainly does not

its still only a minority that are having the issue. If it is 5% of the 1 million players it is a minorty. It seems like a lot because well its 50,000 people however thats still a minorty.

I was pulling 1-10 fps in warzones until last night i updated my graphics driver with the latest ATI beta driver and now i pull 30-40 fps in warzones. I have a ATI 5870 1 gig in my laptop.

I strongly advise anyone having issues completely unistnall your graphics drivers and then make 100% sure you are downloading the latest drivers install them and then restart your computer.

There's this too. I also find it quite amusing that the people having the issues are the self-proclaimed PC pros... who have invariably futzed around with settings and tweaks. Problem cant be them, or their Pro PCs though... 'cause they are pros.

The irony of the HERO engine, is that it sucks when it comes to displaying lots of players (and with lots, I mean more than 2).

Ever wondered why you're always being channeled into caves, space-stations, narrow streets or small valleys?

It's because when your view-distance is further than 100 yards, you might actually see another player and your FPS will hit rock-bottom.

Frankly, I have a hard time even imagining an engine that could be less suitable for running an MMO.

The irony of the HERO engine, is that it sucks when it comes to displaying lots of players (and with lots, I mean more than 2).

Ever wondered why you're always being channeled into caves, space-stations, narrow streets or small valleys?

It's because when your view-distance is further than 100 yards, you might actually see another player and your FPS will hit rock-bottom.

Frankly, I have a hard time even imagining an engine that could be less suitable for running an MMO.

ANd yet, even on fleet, i dont drop below 40 fps (it probably goes higher, but i play with Vsync enabled)... with 200 people around.

Problem isn't the engine.

Bioware is gonna lose 5% of the subscription base, then, because most of those people don't have this bad of a lag problem in other games.

Just my 2 cents.

The game struggles when there are lots of other players on the screen , changing my settings from highest to lowest makes very little diffrence when there's 20+ other players on screen.

I think the engine needs improving (if it can be) when it comes to how quick it can retrieve the info and then can draw other players.

spot on , this has been known for a long time.

I love peolpe posting saying my 8800 can run it smooth in warzones , lol , its not a competetion , you dont have to pretend it works fine for you.

I say people are lying if they claim on highest settings they can ride around a busy fleet and stay above 60FPS at all times. When 30 people appear on your screen at once the engine is just not capable of doing that smoothly.

Not sure how you can compare WoW's performance to SWToR's.

Even at low settings there's probably more detail in one of tor's character's faces then there is in full body wow character. There's also a few new effects that wow doesn't use as well, like bump mapping.

Basically, wow = 7 years old graphics, tor = just released. You should not and cannot expect the same performance, sorry.

Playing the game with max setting while soloing I can sit around 40 - 80 fps. Then I go into a Operation / WarZone / Fleet and I am lucky if I can get 20.

This has to be one of the most poorly designed game engines I have ever used.

I can play BF3 on Ultra and walk it at an average of around 50fps

Around the same for Skyrim and for Deus

AMD Phenom II X4 850

8 GIG of DDR3

Crosshair V mobo

GTX580 GFX - Overclocked to 950

560TI - Physics

250g Kingston SSD

Bioware sort it out......I've prepaid for 3 months but if this isn't fixed by then I'll hang up my lightsaber and wait for guildwars 2 like so many other players.

Spart

Edited by Sincasa

I love peolpe posting saying my 8800 can run it smooth in warzones , lol , its not a competetion , you dont have to pretend it works fine for you.

I say people are lying if they claim on highest settings they can ride around a busy fleet and stay above 60FPS at all times. When 30 people appear on your screen at once the engine is just not capable of doing that smoothly.

I don't think it's the performance of displaying the characters on screen. I think it's the process of loading/unloading many characters at a time that drops the framerate.

If I am surrounding by a large group of players who are not moving in and out of view, my framerate is rock solid. But fleet blows b/c there are sooo many coming and going, I do wish they'd optimize this part.

There's this too. I also find it quite amusing that the people having the issues are the self-proclaimed PC pros... who have invariably futzed around with settings and tweaks. Problem cant be them, or their Pro PCs though... 'cause they are pros.

I consider my self an expert but all too often I forget to update my drivers. I seem to only do it when I get a new game that doesn't work perfectly.

If there is a slight difference in perofrmance I write it off as it just being a new game and more demanding.

UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS WORKS!!!

Bioware is gonna lose 5% of the subscription base, then, because most of those people don't have this bad of a lag problem in other games.

Just my 2 cents.

possibly. If thats all they lose then thats great.

However you would be suprised at what people are willing to put up with.

When I first played WoW my laptop couldn't get over 10fps and all the ground textures where just brown. Yet I played on that laptop for 4 months until I upgraded my computer.

People are willing to put up with a lot.

While I don't expect to get wow framerates in this game, I would like to get ones comparable to Battlefield 3. I play BF3 in ultra/high settings, 1920x1080 and it is very smooth. I play swtor on low settings, shadows off, 1920x1080 and the performance is terrible.

If I am in the world questing it is acceptable.

Inside my ship also good.

At the fleet? Forget it.. 2 - 6 FPS around the inner ring of the station, outer ring 10 FPS.

Warzones? Very laggy to the point of not playing them

Flashpoints are ok

There is no reason why a graphics intensive FPS set to ultra and high settings on 64 player servers should outperform a MMO with low settings other than extremely poor coding. These are both "modern" games being run on modern mid-range hardware.

Not a WoW thread, but a thread where I am at a loss as to describe the performance of this game.

I can run the game on my rig at MAX Settings, even with shadows on, everywhere but the fleet and warzones and maintain 50-60 FPS.

Now, when I feel like visitng the fleet, but mostly to play warzones, I have to lower my video card, and in-game graphical settings to LOW.

Now, lets be honest here, anyone who has played WoW, and has played SWTOR on low settings, knows that on LOW SETTINGS these are WoW level, if not "barely above WoW level" graphics.

My rig is only pulling 15-20 FPS in all warzones which are only 8v8.

WoW on Ultra was pulling 70+ FPS during 600 person raids and 40v40 Alterac Valley battlegrounds, where the graphics ARE pretty much exactly the same as SWTOR on low.

What gives Bioware?

I really want to re-sub but I am not buying a new rig to be able to play this game, when it can play so many other games on great settings with no problems. There is another game called WoW that has the same graphics as this game on low settings, but can also handle 80 person battlegrounds at 70 FPS.

God! Yeah! WoW was abslolutely rubbish for a few months, most of the time the LAG was so bad in IF you could go an put kettle on and make a cuppa till your char moved.... seriously.... it took Blizz ages to sort those issues out... the rubberbanding was soooo funny.

My FPS in SWTOR is far better on my monster PC than it is in WoW.. WoW doesn't handle SLI it seems....

Not sure how you can compare WoW's performance to SWToR's.

Even at low settings there's probably more detail in one of tor's character's faces then there is in full body wow character. There's also a few new effects that wow doesn't use as well, like bump mapping.

Basically, wow = 7 years old graphics, tor = just released. You should not and cannot expect the same performance, sorry.

Alright. Can I compare it to Aion? When I stand around 20-30 people who all wear different armor and everybody have all sorts of shapes and forms, since you can do so much customization in that game, I get much better performance. Why? To me it's obvious, CryEngine can handle every aspect of 3D rendering better. Oh, and the game has been around for 3 years and it looks way better then SWTOR.

Just my 2 cents.

No lag at all from day one to be honest, and I'm running two Nvidia 550 ti's... 8gig ram... AMD Phenom II

Not one bit of lag, I feel like I'm missing out...

Perhaps your lag issues is at your end, thereseems to be a miniority suffering lag, which would suggest it's peoples rigs or conectivity?

just my ten bobs worth.. or if you're a yank, cents :D

Okay, I'll pretend it's not, just for you :rolleyes:

Alright. Can I compare it to Aion? When I stand around 20-30 people who all wear different armor and everybody have all sorts of shapes and forms, since you can do so much customization in that game, I get much better performance. Why? To me it's obvious, CryEngine can handle every aspect of 3D rendering better. Oh, and the game has been around for 3 years and it looks way better then SWTOR.

CryEngine is a very well established engine..... :cool: