Option to turn off particles = alot better FPS :)

alike

Hi. If there was an option to turn of/turn down the particles (fog, smoke etc), the FPS would have been boosted alot. When i enter a room/cave that is filled with fog or smoke, my FPS goes down to 10 to 0 no mather what settings i run.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Hi. If there was an option to turn of/turn down the particles (fog, smoke etc), the FPS would have been boosted alot. When i enter a room/cave that is filled with fog or smoke, my FPS goes down to 10 to 0 no mather what settings i run.

Maybe PC gaming isn't for you. I'm not trying to sound rude or insult you, but PC gaming is more than just buying some random laptop or desktop. You have to know specs and what parts do in order to get the most from what you're trying to do. If you are getting that low of frames (I know the game has FPS issues) then you need to either upgrade like crazy if it's a desktop or just buy new. Turning off features and this and that isn't going to help you when you get that low of frames to begin with.

What? You guys sonud like im kidding here :S Im not sitting on a 486, neither am i sitting in a super computer. It runs the game good enough :)

I will not post aything on these forums again :) With this kind of answers why should i?

Maybe PC gaming isn't for you. I'm not trying to sound rude or insult you, but PC gaming is more than just buying some random laptop or desktop. You have to know specs and what parts do in order to get the most from what you're trying to do. If you are getting that low of frames (I know the game has FPS issues) then you need to either upgrade like crazy if it's a desktop or just buy new. Turning off features and this and that isn't going to help you when you get that low of frames to begin with.

It's a good point OP, I know that the particles are not optimized very well in there. I run with a good 60fps at most parts, but walking in smoke and fog seems to drop the FPS quite a bit.

Maybe something for the future.

Edited by Zilrota
removed rude

It's a good point OP, I know that the particles are not optimized very well in there. I run with a good 60fps at most parts, but walking in smoke and fog seems to drop the FPS quite a bit.

Maybe something for the future.

10-0 FPS is not a fix that can be done by disabling features, for that low of FPS you need hardware upgrades. Does that suck for him/her, yes, but the truth sucks sometimes.

Edited by Zilrota
removed rude

Well I guess you won't be upgrading then. That's fine, not all hobbies are the same. Maybe some FPS fixes will come and get you a bit higher, but again 10-0 FPS is really really low, which is why I responded with the answer you got from me.

Yes, i play the game on medum to low settings at HD resolution. Im happy with that and im getting 30 to 100 fps normaly :) Im not playing this game for the looks. Battlefield 3 and Crysis can give me that. What i was trying to say is wgere is the option to turn down/off particles like we have in alot of other games?

It is well know, to even BioWare, that this game needs more options available to tweak this game's graphics. Just being able to adjust a few things from Low to medium is NOT enough options for even super computers to get the most out of this game.

Every MMO out on the market, that can even be considered successful, has options to tweak Anti-Aliasing, foliage, particle density, view distance, etc, etc. Look at ANY MMO out there and they have settings that can make the game look completely beautiful, to the most simple thing in existance. This game on the other hand, when I turn the graphics from Max to Lowest, there is not much difference except maybe the shadows.

There needs to be more options available to us players

No im not... It sure sounds like you are saying we dont need an option like that. Why wouldent we want that? Because you can run the game with good fps and dont have any issues?

No I'm not saying we don't need an option like that, it would be good if we did. What I'm saying is that option really isn't going to help you if you are only getting 0-10 FPS. Once again why I mentioned upgrades.

It is well know, to even BioWare, that this game needs more options available to tweak this game's graphics. Just being able to adjust a few things from Low to medium is NOT enough options for even super computers to get the most out of this game.

Every MMO out on the market, that can even be considered successful, has options to tweak Anti-Aliasing, foliage, particle density, view distance, etc, etc. Look at ANY MMO out there and they have settings that can make the game look completely beautiful, to the most simple thing in existance. This game on the other hand, when I turn the graphics from Max to Lowest, there is not much difference except maybe the shadows.

There needs to be more options available to us players

Thank you for a good answer to my consern. We need more poeple like you around here :)

Nono , OP is quite correct. i'm running a very decent system and when I get close to particles for example run under a waterfall or stuff like that , the fps just crumbles into dust when there is absolutely no reason for it to do that. in fact, the particle effects in this game arent even that good looking.. but you do take a serious performance hit.

I specifically stated I wasn't posting to insult and you then insult me? 10-0 FPS is not a fix that can be done by disabling features, for that low of FPS you need hardware upgrades. Does that suck for him/her, yes, but the truth sucks sometimes.

If you're going to be rude to someone, just be rude. Trying to hide your rudeness by saying, "I'm not trying to be rude here but you're an idiot" is just bad form.

What are your system specs?

Are you running other software in the background, like monitoring apps , anti virus etc?

Edited by Mineria

No I'm not saying we don't need an option like that, it would be good if we did. What I'm saying is that option really isn't going to help you if you are only getting 0-10 FPS. Once again why I mentioned upgrades.

Read my other post (Im getting 30 to 100 fps normaly) about my fps elsewhere :)

Sorry if i was rude when answering back, i just got shocked on the kind of feedback some poeple gave me...

Edited by alike

Nono , OP is quite correct. i'm running a very decent system and when I get close to particles for example run under a waterfall or stuff like that , the fps just crumbles into dust when there is absolutely no reason for it to do that. in fact, the particle effects in this game arent even that good looking.. but you do take a serious performance hit.

BioWare is also very aware of this issue as well. This game "Picks and Chooses" what systems it wants to run smoothly on, and what systems it wants to drop the FPS BOMB on. BioWare, I believe, knows of this and is hopefully going to make some changes about it.

They made a public statement about why they decided to not use High Res textures, as it would clog up even the best of PC's... So I am 90% positive that it's related to what you are experiencing as well. It just really sucks to see a game turning out to be just like IDSoft's: RAGE

If you're going to be rude to someone, just be rude. Trying to hide your rudeness by saying, "I'm not trying to be rude here but you're an idiot" is just bad form.

Have you read ANYTHING that I posted. I agreed with him/her about the settings changes, but what I stated is truth getting 0-10FPS is too low for just some setting changes. Think about that 0-10FPS. I even said that I could help him/her if they needed upgrades. And I'm rude? Good god these forums suck.

Have you read ANYTHING that I posted. I agreed with him/her about the settings changes, but what I stated is truth getting 0-10FPS is too low for just some setting changes. Think about that 0-10FPS. I even said that I could help him/her if they needed upgrades. And I'm rude? Good god these forums suck.

Thx, but i dont need any upgrades as the game runes just fine in areas with nothing to litle particles :)

Nothing super about my rig :)

q6600 @ 3400 ghz

8 gb

Raptor HDD`s

ATI 4870 1 GB

With that overclock it should be able to spit out more than 10 fps in rooms with fog, I take it that you mean pve areas where only you and some npc's roam?

I get more on my old dual core thinkpad, so something is messing it up for you.

I take it that you already tried disabling AV etc. and that your DirectX is up to date?

Do you know how to edit the games ini file?

You could try adding: DynamicLightsLimit = 2 and set your shadows to low if they aren't there already.

Else I can't really guess what could be up, since I don't have drops down to 10fps :/

Edited by Mineria

You will be able to post in a suggestion box post Patch 1.1 launch on Jan.17.

Devs will check it.

Just write more detailed post.

Where and how it happens.

Please list specs of your PC in that posts too to help developers.

If you need help with finding out your specs, download CPU ID program.

Again, be more specific and wait till Jan.17, it is 2 days left.

Did you even read what you responded to? The OP said there's an FPS drop under certain conditions. Not all the time. Particle effect cause an FPS drop, so the OP was proposing an option to disable them.

I think you're misunderstanding what you were responding to, which is probably why you can't understand why it sounded so insulting.

There are several posters that have posted in the "Horrid FPS" section that had systems that would run Skyrim and such on high settings that were suffering from low framerates. Many many posters listed their exact system specifications that were equal to or beyond any other people claiming that someone "just needs to upgrade their systems", including the trolls in this thread.

SWTOR is built on the HeroEngine. It's a seperately developed game engine licensed out to game developers and sells itself on claims of ease of use. The game engine itself is apparently a single threaded application that has to / will have to be heavily modified to work effectively with multi-core CPUs. Also, a section in their sound developement area mentions that hardware sound acceleration has a large effect on framerates, stating that without hardware sound acceleration more than "10 sounds" in an area could cause issues. Essentially, the HeroEngine lacks the ability to turn off environmental audio effects, such as that annoying echo in stone corridors, as well as being unable to set fog effects to limit view distance, both of which have been basic settings in WoW for years.

The only suggestion I have is, if you're running onboard sound, pick up a 24bit soundcard that has hardware sound acceleration abilities. The older PCI 16 bit sound cards are dirt cheap but won't be worth the effort. But even this is no guarentee that it'll help.

Also a friendly reminder, posting in a thread without making a productive comment, especially if it's considered an insult, is a violation of the terms of service and will get you points against your account.

I specifically stated I wasn't posting to insult and you then insult me? 10-0 FPS is not a fix that can be done by disabling features, for that low of FPS you need hardware upgrades. Does that suck for him/her, yes, but the truth sucks sometimes.

just saying that youre not posting to insult, and then posting something that is in fact insulting doesnt just magically get you off the hook.

not everyone can afford the latest setup. Some have to play on older machines and a feature like this would help alot when it comes to those machines.

its very elitist of you to say that if you cant afford to upgrade to the newest stuff every year or so, you shouldnt be allowed to play this game.

and he wasnt getting 10-0 fps all the time, just when he encountered fog and heavy particle effects.

Thus turning them off would give him a decent framerate and he would be able to enjoy the game.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

You can have a look here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1198

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=3898

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=114264

see if is anything that helps with your actual problem but I bet you already know abouth such tweaks

People should be more supportive instead of just mocking around. Courtesy lost its meaning for most of us, sad but true.

As for your request I think its a valid one but first this game needs badly a performance patch.

Video driver http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121apreviewdriver.aspx though read carefuly before install this one. Some peeps report it huge improve over fps some not, since I've seen you runing on ATI GPU

Edited by Phenyr