Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Your Taris is not my Taris...

Serenator

So, I visited Taris for the first time today on my Republic trooper, having been there last week for the Empire on my Imperial Agent. The Republic was really under the cosh from my IA... Taris was clearly going to fall to the Empire... but wait... This week things seem slightly... different?

Slowly it dawns on me, the Empire and Republic have different versions of the planet Taris!

Of all the bizarre design decisions I've come across in this game, this one takes the biscuit.

It's just.... weird. Aside from using the same map, everthing about the place is different. It's like there's some sort of parallel universe effect going on. Doctor Who, where are you??? (yes I know your Tardis has been spotted in several places already).

So, I visited Taris for the first time today on my Republic trooper, having been there last week for the Empire on my Imperial Agent. The Republic was really under the cosh from my IA... Taris was clearly going to fall to the Empire... but wait... This week things seem slightly... different?

Slowly it dawns on me, the Empire and Republic have different versions of the planet Taris!

Of all the bizarre design decisions I've come across in this game, this one takes the biscuit.

It's just.... weird. Aside from using the same map, everthing about the place is different. It's like there's some sort of parallel universe effect going on. Doctor Who, where are you??? (yes I know your Tardis has been spotted in several places already).

I had just become made aware of this by someone who had pointed out that Balmorra was similarly skewed.

Essentially, the storytelling process of the game has -both sides- winning the conflicts, depending on which side you're seeing it from, you're basically dominating the other one. And that, to me, seems like a pretty crucial design choice that decreased my approval of the game. I had expected, or hoped for some win-some lose some scenarios and a consistent storyline for all four classes that tied together for a greater narrative.

What I got was kind of shallow in comparison. But: At least all you do is win, right?

I had just become made aware of this by someone who had pointed out that Balmorra was similarly skewed.

Essentially, the storytelling process of the game has -both sides- winning the conflicts, depending on which side you're seeing it from, you're basically dominating the other one. And that, to me, seems like a pretty crucial design choice that decreased my approval of the game. I had expected, or hoped for some win-some lose some scenarios and a consistent storyline for all four classes that tied together for a greater narrative.

What I got was kind of shallow in comparison. But: At least all you do is win, right?

Because the game was made like a single player game because that is what BioWare has experience with.

I experienced the same thing when running through Taris with my agent and then Jedi knight. The feeling I got was that you visit Taris at a earlier point than you do with the empire. What I mean by this is that as you progress through the story the galaxy is ramping up to war. When you visit Taris on the republic side the war has not progress as far as when you visit Taris on the Empire side. But I may be completely wrong about this.

I thought the whole point of Balmorra for the Empire was them taking it over and the Republic taking it back while Taris was the Republic eventually leaving it and the Empire going over to see what the heck was up with the place. Guess I was wrong...

Noticed that just today while on Balmorra.

Kind of weird, but... eh.

EDIT:

I thought the whole point of Balmorra for the Empire was them taking it over and the Republic taking it back while Taris was the Republic eventually leaving it and the Empire going over to see what the heck was up with the place. Guess I was wrong...

Yeah, I thought that about Balmorra (haven't been to Taris as an Imp yet). I guess it makes sense.

Kind of cool if that's how it's supposed to be, actually. It shows sort of an indirect progression of story.

And it sort of makes sense since the Imps go to Balmorra first (at a lower level) and the Republic second, and vice versa for Taris.

Edited by ZeroGravTrooper

No this is exactly it. It's meant to show the war's progress from both sides perspectives at diffrent points of the story line. Republic's Taris storyline take place before the war and the empire's taris is after the war starts to erupt.

I noticed Empires Balmorra takes place long before the Republics version.

Bugtown in the Empire version is unfinished, the landing area has no railings and is missing other platforms, its also overrun.

On Republic, the walkways are completed with railings, most of the infestation is cleared except Doc's area.

I noticed Empires Balmorra takes place long before the Republics version.

Bugtown in the Empire version is unfinished, the landing area has no railings and is missing other platforms, its also overrun.

On Republic, the walkways are completed with railings, most of the infestation is cleared except Doc's area.

That's actually really cool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.