The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hard Mode Tank Requirements

Machr

I'm planning on trying out some hard modes with some friends in the upcoming days. However, I am abit unsure wether I meet the requirements. I realize that there probably is a big difference in difficulty between the FPs, but is there a rough threshold of HP and avoidance I should be at before venturing into hard modes?

Cheers

It really depends on how good the three others are in your group.

Ive done all HM FP's in my full PVP champion set, 19.9k health, 52% damage reduction, 14% defence, 41% shield chance, 37% shield reduction.

Specced all into shields, but enough in the other tree to have the Gut ability. I'm specced and geared to focus on pvp, but I seem to do ok in PVE.

I had never done any of the FP's on hard mode before, but we got though all of them just fine. (We wiped twice on one boss only, the rest of the bosses were just fine on the first go.)

I had a group of guild mates I could really trust, I actually felt like the weakest link, I was having a tough time holding aggro over our DPS guy.

Well, I'm mainly doing both pvp and pve with irl friends, so we have voice comm, pluss they are decent enough. However, when we did False Emperor normal mode, the healer struggled with his force pool on several bosses. I am at just below 15k hp buffed, ~13% defence, 48% shield chance, and ~35% absorb. Granted, it wasn't really tank dmg that seemed to drain him. Guess I'll just have to gear up abit more before trying out some hard modes

Well, I'm mainly doing both pvp and pve with irl friends, so we have voice comm, pluss they are decent enough. However, when we did False Emperor normal mode, the healer struggled with his force pool on several bosses. I am at just below 15k hp buffed, ~13% defence, 48% shield chance, and ~35% absorb. Granted, it wasn't really tank dmg that seemed to drain him. Guess I'll just have to gear up abit more before trying out some hard modes

Yeah most of the HM's I've been doing was at 20k hp, 14% defense, 42% shield, 39% absorption. By no means is this any baseline or anything, its just the stats I had when I was doing them.

If some of the others in your group are skilled, or are more geared up, then this can make up for one person having lower gear also. Its really the group dynamic more than anything.

I have tanked full clear on EV Hardmode and my stats are 51.95% DR, 14.38% Defense, 35% Shield, 38% Absorption 19888 health with full champion PVP gear and 3 rakata pieces, 1 columi, I also use the epic reusable bio stim. Not sure how just full pvp gear has better stats than me but yeah you should be able to start running HM's with around 17k health, 45% DR 10% Defense and 35/35 on shield and absorb.

You need to bring up your defense more. The shield and absorb are great to have, but completely avoiding being hit is always better. I am only level 44 and have 17.7% Defense, 47% Shield, and 30% absorption. I can tank darn near anything. I plan to get Defense up to at least 20% by level 50 while maintaining or improving the others. I am in mostly crafted purples that I have made. The crafted gear is way better right now then what you can do in slotted.

You need to bring up your defense more. The shield and absorb are great to have, but completely avoiding being hit is always better. I am only level 44 and have 17.7% Defense, 47% Shield, and 30% absorption. I can tank darn near anything. I plan to get Defense up to at least 20% by level 50 while maintaining or improving the others. I am in mostly crafted purples that I have made. The crafted gear is way better right now then what you can do in slotted.

There is currently a discussion going on wether to gear for defence or shield rating as main secondary stat. From the most recent threads I've read I've gathered shield rating>defence>absorb. However, I suspect the difference between the stats aren't huge. No one seems to be sure about DRs either. That said, I do feel my defence is a bit low.

The problems we will face when moving into hardmodes seem to be the tight enrage timers as we have usually run with two JK dpsers, which isn't exactly the best dps ACs out there. As soon as more of our slackers hit 50 I guess we can throw our set ups around a bit :)

There is currently a discussion going on wether to gear for defence or shield rating as main secondary stat. From the most recent threads I've read I've gathered shield rating>defence>absorb. However, I suspect the difference between the stats aren't huge. No one seems to be sure about DRs either. That said, I do feel my defence is a bit low.

You probably don't want to go much higher than 20% if you can and not impact your shields too much. Jedi Knights currently have problems with too much defense and not being able to get abilities off due to the constant parry/dodge animations preventing it.

The problems we will face when moving into hardmodes seem to be the tight enrage timers as we have usually run with two JK dpsers, which isn't exactly the best dps ACs out there. As soon as more of our slackers hit 50 I guess we can throw our set ups around a bit :)

There are some ways around this, but usually it's more on your healers being able to heal through massive AEs and such.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently geared in mostly customized gear with purple armoring's, enhancment's ,and some mods (work on replace blues with purples through dailys) My Defense stats are as follows

Health 16030 AR 6893 DR 44.96 DC 23.3 SC 37.63 SA 33.57

I have done a couple of hard modes (DT and Koan), I felt I did well but some guild mates say I am under-geared. What I want to know is how so? I know I need to replace my relics and implants (blue lvl 50s atm) but I really don't feel like I am that under-geared.

Any advice ?

I am currently geared in mostly customized gear with purple armoring's, enhancment's ,and some mods (work on replace blues with purples through dailys) My Defense stats are as follows

Health 16030 AR 6893 DR 44.96 DC 23.3 SC 37.63 SA 33.57

I have done a couple of hard modes (DT and Koan), I felt I did well but some guild mates say I am under-geared. What I want to know is how so? I know I need to replace my relics and implants (blue lvl 50s atm) but I really don't feel like I am that under-geared.

Any advice ?

You're wearing DPS gear while trying to tank. If you put on Supercommando gear you'll have 4-5k more HP to work with.

You're wearing DPS gear while trying to tank. If you put on Supercommando gear you'll have 4-5k more HP to work with.

Super commando gear? Im a sith warrior, and how is guardian armorings, mods with high end/def/shield/absorb DPS gear? and if it is DPS gear where do I get tank gear other than a hard mode ?