What is lost if you do not use Big Gun

Loekii

By how much?

I have found myself playing with 'lower gear' simply because I have not upgraded, yet still being viable.

So I am curious how different it is if one were to use the rifle instead. Of course I would not be min/maxing, nor being a chart topper, but how effective regardless?

actually if your assault spec . losing the big gun is pretty insignificant . gunnery is ofcourse another story ,

Actually it's the other way around.

Charged bolts is a major part of it and you need a cannon to use that. Grav round doesn't need a cannon and is tech so not effected by weapon damage.

Not that I'm suggesting gunnery is a good idea with a rifle. It's just not as bad an idea.

What about a combat medic who wants to disguise himself as a vanguard for pve to attract less focus fire?

He's named tanks after all.

I don't get why people keep thinking this is a good idea. Any person with half a brain can tell the guy in the back casting heals isn't a vanguard regardless of what weapon he has equipped. I don't stare at an enemy player's weapon and decide if I want to attack him or not. If he is casting heals, then he is obviously a healer.

If i remember correctly, a blaster rifle and an assault cannon with the same "Damage rating", the assault cannon will do more damage. At least that is true for the blaster rifle vs sniper rifle for the sniper class. So, even if you do not count the abilities directly tied to an Assault cannon, you lose damage.