Why are nerds so stubborn

Dahools

We all know the types of people that design these games. After ten+ years of mmo pvp why are basic accepted design features not in this game?

Camera follow toggle? hello...every mmo i've played in the last 10 years ( about 6 of them ) have had this feature.

The option to have a numbered countdown in big letters over an ability as it cooldowns instead of the barely noticable slightly different cascade feature.

Customizeable buff boxes and debuff boxes so we don't need to have a microscope attached to our face to see them.

The point being is that anyone who played WoW ( and yes like it or not WoW is the gold standard for UI features since most of them that were finally incorporated were designed initially by the players. ) knows that there are "accepted UI features that should be in all go-forward mmo's. Hell i still haven't figured out how to lock the god damn chat box. Can't tell you how many times i've tried to mouse click on something and had the chat line come up on the chat box and now i'm typing dwawdwwwwwwdddddddaaaadwwwww.

I know most of the developers especially for pvp have been a part of other games. Was your compensation front-loaded and now ...who cares? Most of this should have been fixed before I picked this thing up last month. Come one guys ...wake up.

First, you call the devs Nerds in your subject line. Maturity goes a long ways.

Second, when was the last time you uninstalled or disabled all your WoW addons and took a look at the default UI? Not much customizing going on there, no cooldown tracking over abilities, no movable chat window etc. All these things are addons. (atleast this was the case the last time I played WoW)

Third, they have stated that UI imporvements are high on the to-do list. We all agree (months ago btw) that alot of this should have been in release, but weren't...oh well.

Edited by Swaay

First, you call the devs Nerds in your subject line. Maturity goes a long ways.

Second, when was the last time you uninstalled or disabled all your WoW addons and took a look at the default UI? Not much customizing going on there, no cooldown tracking over abilities, no movable chat window etc. All these things are addons. (atleast this was the cast the last time I played WoW)

Third, they have stated that UI imporvements are high on the to-do list. We all agree (months ago btw) that alot of this should have been in release, but weren't...oh well.

I agree with your statement but the difference is WoW knows it's ui is bad so they let people do it. bioware should know their UI is *** but they haven't let the community make their own. You know how creative some of those custom addon UIs got.

I agree with your statement but the difference is WoW knows it's ui is bad so they let people do it. bioware should know their UI is *** but they haven't let the community make their own. You know how creative some of those custom addon UIs got.

BW has said that addons will be allowed eventually. First thing they are doing, and rightfully so, is ironing out all the kinks of a freshly released game. Once the game is stable and most of the bad is gone, we will get addons.

EDIT: Yep, I do know. My UI in WoW was totally customized, several times over. Rift had an amazingingly customizable UI at launch, was awesome, I loved it.

Edited by Swaay

Alternatively, in the 7 years of development BW could have just you know...made a UI that lets you customize and move stuff around like Warhammer only with resizable boxes etc. I mean...they only had..7..years...

It's the UI people, it is not that hard to make.

7 years of development, that's bit far fetched.

The answer to all your questions is pretty simple. They did not bake and cook the game engine in house, they bought the 3rd party engine that is supposedly specifically designed for creation of MMO games. The engine is called Hero.

If you work in software development industry you will know that once you commit to vendor solution you live with limitations of that solution and have to work through vendor for any and all improvements. Sometimes vendors will not want to tailor to any one specific customer in order to satisfy many customers.

For comparison sake, Blizzard created their own engine and their smart developers decided that it would be much easier to script all UI elements instead of hard-coding them in C/C++. Thus the bootstrapped the LUA interpreter early in the game engine design and used LUA for all UI scripting. This also gave them an ability to expose Macro functionality.

The way SWTOR was designed, IMHO, is they bought the Hero, got their developers and artists ramping up on the technology learning the workflow and API of the engine, and they never went beyond that. They never exceeded the engine capabilities with their understanding of it.

Additional, the piece of crap engine is not even DirectX 10. It requires DirectX 8 or 9 I forgot which and uses 2008 version of C Runtime Library. It is single threaded and revolves around "scenes". Thus so many loading screens.

There are so many issues to point out in the overall design that I don't blame them for not having those features. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire game is scripted using Boo or some other scripting engine and only core pieces of Hero run native code.

The answer to all your questions is pretty simple. They did not bake and cook the game engine in house, they bought the 3rd party engine that is supposedly specifically designed for creation of MMO games. The engine is called Hero.

If you work in software development industry you will know that once you commit to vendor solution you live with limitations of that solution and have to work through vendor for any and all improvements. Sometimes vendors will not want to tailor to any one specific customer in order to satisfy many customers.

For comparison sake, Blizzard created their own engine and their smart developers decided that it would be much easier to script all UI elements instead of hard-coding them in C/C++. Thus the bootstrapped the LUA interpreter early in the game engine design and used LUA for all UI scripting. This also gave them an ability to expose Macro functionality.

The way SWTOR was designed, IMHO, is they bought the Hero, got their developers and artists ramping up on the technology learning the workflow and API of the engine, and they never went beyond that. They never exceeded the engine capabilities with their understanding of it.

Additional, the piece of crap engine is not even DirectX 10. It requires DirectX 8 or 9 I forgot which and uses 2008 version of C Runtime Library. It is single threaded and revolves around "scenes". Thus so many loading screens.

There are so many issues to point out in the overall design that I don't blame them for not having those features. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire game is scripted using Boo or some other scripting engine and only core pieces of Hero run native code.

huh I never considered or knew that. also really no directx 10? Does bioware know its 2012 yet?

Ugh...this is my biggest fear and you just put it into words (I am not a programmer but I get the jest of what your saying here I think).

Basically the game is really a 5 year old game that we are just now getting our hands on. Hence the whole conversation in the "official" thread about the High resolution/texture settings (and Biowares claims about how the graphics being set to High are to much for our CPU's to handle :rolleyes:)

Alternatively, in the 7 years of development BW could have just you know...made a UI that lets you customize and move stuff around like Warhammer only with resizable boxes etc. I mean...they only had..7..years...

It's the UI people, it is not that hard to make.

Basically...

My god i'm sick of that god damn camera auto follow when i'm pvping and trying to figure out who and what jumped me while runnig away and having that stupid campera keep swinging on me. Not being able to efficiently survey the field is almost game breaking.

For one of the above posters. Don't tell me the camera not swivelling is restrained by the engine. This should be hotfixed in the next 24 hours.