Why are Lightsabers so weak?

Dustranamus

Just a question to Bioware as a Sith Warrior I can spec rage and hit the ground really super hard and actually get the 5k damage medal in PvP.

Or I can just roll with a balanced pve/pve spec like annihilation or carnage. In this spec my hardest hitting move is Force Scream? Or if it's a weak mob i can Kick or Pommel Strike them really hard.

How is the surface of my foot or pommel, or my vocal cords for that matter so much more powerful than the light saber itself?

I know it's nothing to do with underpowered or balancing or anything just kinda stumped as to why I don't have any hard hitting Light saber moves?

I'm not so aggravated that lightsabers aren't dishing out the hurt so much as nothing but smash is. I don't mind our overall level of damage output, but I would rather Force Scream be on a 15 second CD (and be up for every gore) and crit for 5k+ than how it is currently. Same with annihilation: I'd prefer a +1.5 second CD per use and +20% damage (stacking) per use, rather than simple CD reduction.

Sorry to take this on a sort of tangent, but I'm disappointed by the fact that only one spec lets us put out the "big numbers" deserved by a pure damage class.

(Also, the best moments of the entire story were when our character threw people around with the force or gutted a guy with his/her lightsaber. These are the moves I want in PvP too!)

Yeah I don't know just bothers me a great deal that Light sabers...the basic symbol of Star Wars seem to be kinda worthless.

If you think about it Warriors, and Assassins are the consensus on weakest classes in the game damage out put wise. Both Rely on their sabers for damage. The Sorcerer has one but doesn't use it because well he knows they are weak lol.

Also Rage is such awful sustained DPS that it's completely irrelevant in end game PVE. So basically we need dual spec badly to even have our burst in PVP or the 5k Medal is completely unattainable.

Or you can spend a bajillion credits when you feel like switching classes 10 times a day.

Yeah I don't know just bothers me a great deal that Light sabers...the basic symbol of Star Wars seem to be kinda worthless.

If you think about it Warriors, and Assassins are the consensus on weakest classes in the game damage out put wise. Both Rely on their sabers for damage. The Sorcerer has one but doesn't use it because well he knows they are weak lol.

Also Rage is such awful sustained DPS that it's completely irrelevant in end game PVE. So basically we need dual spec badly to even have our burst in PVP or the 5k Medal is completely unattainable.

Or you can spend a bajillion credits when you feel like switching classes 10 times a day.

I would blame ridiculous CC (base stun time is 6 seconds? Really? 3 seconds is more than enough time...) and knockbacks for the fact that lightsaber classes are weak, as these classes also happen to b melee-oriented.

I absolutely agree with dual-spec (or price capping). I hate dropping 50k creds on a much-needed respec after wasting time on the AH to make that money...

Can't really spam Smash in Rage.

Even with it's reduced CD it's worthless without the Force Choke, or Fore Crush ticks.

At minimum Force Crush is an 18 sec CD. Now let's say you use it as soon as 4 ticks are up.

You can only get a really effective Smash in every 22 seconds minimum. So spamming it is out of the question. This is why Rage has no real sustained damage.

Can't really spam Smash in Rage.

Even with it's reduced CD it's worthless without the Force Choke, or Fore Crush ticks.

At minimum Force Crush is an 18 sec CD. Now let's say you use it as soon as 4 ticks are up.

You can only get a really effective Smash in every 22 seconds minimum. So spamming it is out of the question. This is why Rage has no real sustained damage.

I love the way you put that. (not sarcasm.)

So if it is true what you say, that light saber classes are the weakest in the game, then this game is in fact absurd in that sense.

Why would a knife made from raw materials be higher in damage from a saber made from pure energy, that cuts through doors made from - whatever metals - they use in Star Wars to make things? (I don't think advance civilizations would use steel).

Little sense, this makes.

Edited by The_Metal

Just a question to Bioware as a Sith Warrior I can spec rage and hit the ground really super hard and actually get the 5k damage medal in PvP.

Or I can just roll with a balanced pve/pve spec like annihilation or carnage. In this spec my hardest hitting move is Force Scream? Or if it's a weak mob i can Kick or Pommel Strike them really hard.

How is the surface of my foot or pommel, or my vocal cords for that matter so much more powerful than the light saber itself?

I know it's nothing to do with underpowered or balancing or anything just kinda stumped as to why I don't have any hard hitting Light saber moves?

you can get 6k Annihilate crit if you pop bloodthirst (which is easy for Anni spec as our fury builds up in seconds) + any adrenal + the constant ticks from bleeds (50% of which will alwys crit at 50 if your geared) and the self heals = very hard hitting lightsaber moves

I belive its the same with Carnage if gore is up + ravage and force scream the burst can be insane

you can get 6k Annihilate crit if you pop bloodthirst (which is easy for Anni spec as our fury builds up in seconds) + any adrenal + the constant ticks from bleeds (50% of which will alwys crit at 50 if your geared) and the self heals = very hard hitting lightsaber moves

I belive its the same with Carnage if gore is up + ravage and force scream the burst can be insane

Except that bloodthirst is on a 5 minute CD so it can't really be considered a sustained DPS boost now can it?

What do heals from bleed have to do with damage?

You can execute the whole rotation in carnage only if the other guy is a complete moron. There are so many ways to interrupt ravage that it's no even funny.

Except that bloodthirst is on a 5 minute CD so it can't really be considered a sustained DPS boost now can it?

What do heals from bleed have to do with damage?

You can execute the whole rotation in carnage only if the other guy is a complete moron. There are so many ways to interrupt ravage that it's no even funny.

you could say the same about rage if your being knocked back constantly (and u will ) the smash buff will run out before u can even execute smash on time , also smash is a little bit buggy right now, not damaging the targets properly when executed at times

Yes bloodthirst is on a cd, but u can stil get 4K crits with Annihilate quite often so its stil pretty good burst considering ur bleeds are constantly ticking

Edited by Majinr

you could say the same about rage if your being knocked back constantly (and u will ) the smash buff will run out before u can even execute smash on time , also smash is a little bit buggy right now, not damaging the targets properly when executed at times

Yes bloodthirst is on a cd, but u can stil get 4K crits with Annihilate quite often so its stil pretty good burst considering ur bleeds are constantly ticking

What buffs do you use to crit for 4k with annihilate on PvP geared targets?

Well, it all boils down to the fact that I think they should increase the damage of all weapons/attacks and reduce the cooldown on CC abiliites. Therein, making the PvP matches much faster pace. Like a Call of Duty match for instance. it only takes a couple well places shots to kill someone. Why am I having to swipe away for a solid minute at 1 on 1 combat or even 1 or more for 30seconds or more to try and kill someone with a lightsaber??? Do realize how stupid the movie would have been if that's how lightsabers worked? So, why make a game where the lightsaber is basically not at all what people knew to grow and love from the movies, which is a weapon that nearly always takes 1 or 2 hits to kill something. If they're worried about people dying too much left and right, then increase the dodge/deflect capabilities and make it like the movie... Basically making it more rare for an actual hit to occur, but then when it does, BOOM you're at like 1/10 of your health... I think it'd be awesome, fast pace, and exciting.

Well, it all boils down to the fact that I think they should increase the damage of all weapons/attacks and reduce the cooldown on CC abiliites. Therein, making the PvP matches much faster pace. Like a Call of Duty match for instance. it only takes a couple well places shots to kill someone. Why am I having to swipe away for a solid minute at 1 on 1 combat or even 1 or more for 30seconds or more to try and kill someone with a lightsaber??? Do realize how stupid the movie would have been if that's how lightsabers worked? So, why make a game where the lightsaber is basically not at all what people knew to grow and love from the movies, which is a weapon that nearly always takes 1 or 2 hits to kill something. If they're worried about people dying too much left and right, then increase the dodge/deflect capabilities and make it like the movie... Basically making it more rare for an actual hit to occur, but then when it does, BOOM you're at like 1/10 of your health... I think it'd be awesome, fast pace, and exciting.

So instead of dealing less damage for longer you want to make fights equaly long but peope will just miss each other and depend on RNG to determine who hits first? Perfect solution, not.

Or they could just make it so you still take damage but you always parry/dodge the attack. when your health reach 0 you dont parry/dodge the hit and you die.

same concept as the current one, more realist, less BS

I hear all these ppl boasting about 6k crits with Anni, but I've never done a 6k crit ever against an actually geared pvp target. It's like boasting about a 30k backstab crit with a Rogue in WoW against a target with 1500 resilience.. lol. Melee mechanics are vastly underpowered to ranged and casters. The fact that Ravage is a stationary channeled MELEE spell is just mind boggling, with probably the most animation glitches I've ever seen in an MMO. Edited by Paralassa
content

I hear all these ppl boasting about 6k crits with Anni, but I've never done a 6k crit ever against an actually geared pvp target. It's like boasting about a 30k backstab crit with a Rogue in WoW against a target with 1500 resilience.. lol. Melee mechanics are vastly underpowered to ranged and casters. The fact that Ravage is a stationary channeled MELEE spell is just mind boggling, with probably the most animation glitches I've ever seen in an MMO.

against a geared 50 today i crit anni with consumable + trinket for 4.6k

I have both champion lightsabers, and 5 piece of battlemaster, rest is champion. Those 6k crit were most likely done to lvl 10

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

So instead of dealing less damage for longer you want to make fights equaly long but peope will just miss each other and depend on RNG to determine who hits first? Perfect solution, not.

actually it would be. You're missing the point. First off no, it wouldn't necessarily be dependent on range as most melee classes have some form of range closing mechanics. But also, I'm not just talking about boosting the damage of lightsabers, but also range blasters damage and so on. Then, increasing the chance to dodge/parry/deflect an attack makes the fight more realistic in the sense that at least once you get the hit, it doesn't knock 1/10 of your health, rather it kills you or brings you down to within a few percent of dying. The fights would become marginally shorter. But, at least still more realistic. They don't have to increase the parry/dodge/deflect percentage by a great deal, as I said, the main objective is to still make everyone die a lot faster, there in making the whole thing more fast pace. It also boasts teamwork in warzones. No ONE person would essentially ever be able to make it from the middle of the huttball arena to the score zone just because a healer was healing them. It would require that several passes are needed as people with the ball will be dying much quicker. If you haven't ever tried playing Call of Duty online against other players, try it, trust me, you'll see that the player against player realism much more realistic, much quicker pace, more fun, but yes at times more frustrating, but frustrating in a "realistic" sense. And remember, realism is the goal here.

Edited by tallestguy