[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can accept the textures not being available in game (grudgingly and temporarily) however BW and/or EA continue to use these textures in promotional material, such as a the 1.1 video without any kind of "not game footage" disclaimer. which is just going to end up adding more voices to this already growing issue.

I can accept the textures not being available in game (grudgingly and temporarily) however BW and/or EA continue to use these textures in promotional material, such as a the 1.1 video without any kind of "not game footage" disclaimer. which is just going to end up adding more voices to this already growing issue.

Other companies do exactly the same thing, it's one of the shameful flaws in this industry.

I expect this kind of non sense from a micky mouse software developer but not from Bioware. I thought things would be different from these guys but seems they are all the same and lie to us if it suits their needs. What a huge disappointment. Last time I ever buy a title from Bioware. What a joke.

Instead of stepping up being honest with us and saying they will be putting enabling High res asap they give us some stupid response and treat us like were idiots that will accept it. Don't forget we pay your bills Bioware. Not just in this game but future games when you ruin your own reputation.

Edited by Corpeus

I expect this kind of non sense from a micky mouse software developer but not from Bioware. I thought things would be different from these guys but seems they are all the same and lie to us if it suits their needs. What a huge disappointment. Last time I ever buy a title from Bioware. What a joke.

Instead of stepping up being honest with us and saying they will be putting enabling High res asap they give us some stupid response and treat us like were idiots that will accept it. Don't forget we pay your bills Bioware. Not just in this game but future games when you ruin your own reputation.

I actually refused to buy Dragon Age 2 after they stripped the environment of all details, killed the story and scrapped the Grey Wardens. Not to mention the terrible graphics.

I've been buying Bioware games since Baldur's Gate, but they've really dropped the ball.

This game has amazing potential, and they're just going to lose more customers and drive the game into the ground if they don't step up.

So basically, it would be a long hard and almost impossible feat to give us, the paying customer, access to the high res textures that are already in the game.

Yet, somehow, when they want to make any videos featuring ingame gameplay, they can magically make them appear at will.

Makes sense.:rolleyes:

So basically, it would be a long hard and almost impossible feat to give us, the paying customer, access to the high res textures that are already in the game.

Yet, somehow, when they want to make any videos featuring ingame gameplay, they can magically make them appear at will.

That's basically it. They claim they did it for performance sake. Which anyone that can use a PC knows is BS.

Hell when EQ2 launched it brought 6800 SLI systems to their knees when you pushed all the graphics to max.

Yet if you lowered the settings, lo and behold the game ran faster. The same for Crysis, and well any PC game that's ever came out.

It's not like people are incapable of setting the graphics at the lower setting if the game runs too slow for them. That's why there are graphical options.

It's been there for years, and at the moment many people want to see those graphics. If they can't run them, they'll drop down to medium again. If they can, well they'll enjoy the game.

We all want that chance though.

At the moment I play the game at 2560x1440 resolution, with everything on high, LOD forced to -3 in the graphics and x8 AA and x16 AF.

Only thing off is shadows, which are terrible looking and just degrade the experience even more for me.

Yet the game runs smoothly and should look much better. This all on an Nvidia GTX 470 I got for 150.

Hell I'm due an upgrade on my GPU and the fact that this game which is the only one i've been looking forward to besides the Witcher 2 is a let when it comes to graphics.

God, I wish they used the Unreal 3 engine that they used for Mass Effect 2.

that about sums it up, yes

That's basically it. They claim they did it for performance sake. Which anyone that can use a PC knows is BS.

Hell when EQ2 launched it brought 6800 SLI systems to their knees when you pushed all the graphics to max.

Yet if you lowered the settings, lo and behold the game ran faster. The same for Crysis, and well any PC game that's ever came out.

It's not like people are incapable of setting the graphics at the lower setting if the game runs too slow for them. That's why there are graphical options.

It's been there for years, and at the moment many people want to see those graphics. If they can't run them, they'll drop down to medium again. If they can, well they'll enjoy the game.

We all want that chance though.

At the moment I play the game at 2560x1440 resolution, with everything on high, LOD forced to -3 in the graphics and x8 AA and x16 AF.

Only thing off is shadows, which are terrible looking and just degrade the experience even more for me.

Yet the game runs smoothly and should look much better. This all on an Nvidia GTX 470 I got for 150.

Hell I'm due an upgrade on my GPU and the fact that this game which is the only one i've been looking forward to besides the Witcher 2 is a let when it comes to graphics.

God, I wish they used the Unreal 3 engine that they used for Mass Effect 2.

I'm running the same settings except I also enabled Ambient Occlusion for High Quality as it seems to bring the shiny out a bit more on metallic surfaces than the -3 LOD by itself. Running at 1920 x 1080 ( highest my monitor supports ) on a GTX 460. Smooth as butter as well. And yet EAware is worried high end computers can't run full textures when my rig isn't even close to high end and does fine with all the other bells and whistles they removed/left out, added through Nvidia Inspector. Just boggles the mind.

Can we talk about all the horrible clipping in here as well? Or do we need a new thread for that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKtvcp5Txo

I also like when my characters robes clip all the way through my mount.

http://imgur.com/a/1nuKs

How about how Khem keeps his vibrosword almost completely inside his back? lol I mean, the artist/modelers/coders can't even make decent model hooks for weapons.

And don't get me started on the mile wide hitboxes they put around companions, which is why you always end up clicking a companion when trying to loot a chest, talk to an NPC, click on a mob to target, etc, unless you zoom out and move the camera.

Edited by Zorvan

I am dissapointed with the direction this thread has gone.

At first people were expressing their concerns over the high res textures and demanding a response from bioware, as we should have. But now, this thread has turned into hate mongering with very little constructive posting. In my opinion, Bioware is far from a horrible company and they did give us feedback on the issue. They are trying to improve the game's visuals while trying to keep the game stable.

Now, there is an issue about holding back the option for high res from customers for apparently no reason. I won't assume to know everything about game mechanics and say they should have done this another way. Sure, I am upset I am not offered an option to at least try out the higher settings for myself. But you know what? The game is still very new and Bioware has time to make things right. Everyone makes mistakes right? Are we not allowed to make up for our own mistakes? I say we allow them some time with this, at least until 1.2 like they stated.

In closing, my opinion is that Bioware is a good company. I have always enjoyed their games and they seem to be in this business for the right reasons. I am willing to give them some slack.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way focused on any one person or being used as an attack of any kind. The above is strictly the author's opinions and to be treated as such.

Edited by Adamant

If the problem is not being able to control how many characters are on screen at any given time not do something similar to what EQ2 did? Have the game draw the max number of characters at high resolution then once that limit is reach have all additional ones drawn at the lower resolution?

Sorry but the muddy textures are killing me.

as loads of others said before: it's not about the mistake itself, it's about their way of justifying it, promoting the game iwth high res, and then tellign us it was never intended to look like that in the first place, oh and medium was a bug, come on, everyone that is not a blind fanboy sees that this statement is pure bs and not taking you serious as a customer

that gives me the impression that they think everyone of us is a stupid fanboy that won't notice the difference anyway, and even if they do, they'll pay, so even if we do virtually nothing for them, we win in the end

I am not gonna support a crap company like that, and this is the point that makes bioware a p.o.s.

lying to customers, advertising something that is not even intended to be in the game, not telling the customer any real reason instead of some pr crap, the pr guy going on a 4 day vacation when the sh*t hits the fan

that's simply unacceptable behaviour for a company of that scale and it's time they felt it

I am dissapointed with the direction this thread has gone.

At first people were expressing their concerns over the high res textures and demanding a response from bioware, as we should have. But now, this thread has turned into hate mongering with very little constructive posting. In my opinion, Bioware is far from a horrible company and they did give us feedback on the issue. They are trying to improve the game's visuals while trying to keep the game stable.

Now, there is an issue about holding back the option for high res from customers for apparently no reason. I won't assume to know everything about game mechanics and say they should have done this another way. Sure, I am upset I am not offered an option to at least try out the higher settings for myself. But you know what? The game is still very new and Bioware has time to make things right. Everyone makes mistakes right? Are we not allowed to make up for our own mistakes? I say we allow them some time with this, at least until 1.2 like they stated.

In closing, my opinion is that Bioware is a good company. I have always enjoyed their games and they seem to be in this business for the right reasons. I am willing to give them some slack.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way focused on any one person or being used as an attack of any kind. The above is strictly the author's opinions and to be treated as such.

This is what's so sad. Rift is a game that's been out since q1 2011. If a small company like Trion can figure this stuff out why in the world can't Bioware?

Budget miss-allocation.

I would have only had VO for Class Quests. The money saved by not doing full VO, which I might add is now most 'spacebar-ed' through (especially group quests), would have paid for a much larger development team.

FYI: being the "Largest Entertainment Voice Over Project Ever" isn't cheap. ;)

Budget miss-allocation.

I would have only had VO for Class Quests. The money saved by not doing full VO, which I might add is now most 'spacebar-ed' through (especially group quests), would have paid for a much larger development team.

I don't even think it's a budgetary issue -- it's a competence issue.

If you know what your engine can or can't handle, you design around that. You don't make high rez textures that you then compress to dogbarf in order to run the game -- you make simpler textures that can retain their original sharpness (or relative lack thereof) without this compression nonsense that's forced on us now.

If it was cartoony and stylized (solid colors, limited detail, straight lines) it wouldn't look nearly as bad as it does now, where they went for a decent amount of detail and then just had to smear it all around on the canvas before letting us have it.

Edited by Unruhe

Budget miss-allocation.

Except programmers don't spend time recording voice-overs or patching them into the game data.

The amount of questionable programming decisions in this game makes you wonder how much programming time was allocated in keeping the engine up to date over course of its long development time. Things such as the game client being 32-bit only when it frequently could use more addressing space, the dubious use of intermediate cache files on the disk, the shadow mapping which is a throwback to single sampled non-cascaded shadow maps from the 80s, the sheer inefficiency (or lack of) of visibility culling in the game... Not to mention the texture resolution, of course. I could go on and on.

I have too much respect for fellow game developers to start lambasting the whole BioWare programming team without knowing how it went behind the scenes, or what they started with from the HeroEngine. PC development is a tricky beast, and this being an MMO also means a lot of effort needs to be invested on back-end things that are invisible to the user. But I'm still puzzled that the combined resources of BioWare and EA couldn't iron out these many flaws.

Edited by Janet