Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware: Allow Advanced Class Respec!

Dunzo

Idk why those 3-4 people ignored this comment and continued rambling.

I agree 110%....... and half expect to be called out about how 110% isn't a possible figure.

So someone who debates should state their argument and leave not bothering to counterpoint? Remind me not to get you as a lawyer or a debate partner.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just can't get your story straight now can you? You say in this game, each advanced class is a unique class. It is not. a Powertech is no more different than a Mercenary than a Shadow priest is from a Holy Priest. A different"class" in this game gets a different story. An incentive to try them all. There's no real incentive to level 2 Bounty Hunters up for each advanced class. It would be hella boring. I know. I played Powertech in beta, and play Mercenary in love.

And what they said they were going to do is;

Many people are wondering what the heck happened to that decision.

Actually you are wrong. Powertech and Mercenary are two complete different Advances classes(or specializations) of one Class. Picking either will change your playstyle and core abilities completely.

Saying they are the same as a Holy priest or shadow priest, which in wow are nothing more but talent changes, just like this game has talent changes. Pyrotech or Shieldtech would for example be the right way to compare Holy or shadow priest.

The story however is based on the entire Class, regardless of choosing your advanced Class.

Website says specialization not class, a class is something you pick to play at character creation............have you played any MMOs?????

website also says advanced CLASS! an advance class is something you pick after character creation............have YOU played any MMOs????? we can argue semantics all day, neither of us is ever going to prove the other wrong.

I question your supposed great experience in MMO's if you still don't grasp how this is set up. It's also clear that you will word twist, while ignoring 50 different rebuttals and examples where ingame and out they define the differences. I copy and pasted several times. I'm not doing again because your debate tactic is to ignore, close your ears and eyes, and scream your broken down argument over and over until people give up. Reminds me a lot of my daughter. Anyway, it's irrelevant in the end.

Instead of trying to play word games you should attempt to create an argument, that will be an opinion, on why you believe it will enhance the overall gameplay of the game. BW and others are much more likely to listen and be receptive to that than your attempt at the "gotcha" game.

Because it's a new game and a lot of people don't want to run through the same story just to have the same class only with a different spec?

And for those who picked a advanced class they didn't like then what? I would hate to rerole and spend all of that time getting back to the point I was at. For example I chose Assassin think it would be fun, it wasn't. I fully understand how to use it but I hate it so much. But I am a lvl 20 and I don't want to rerole becuase unlike some people I don't have that much time.

Anyway there are no cons to respecing your advanced class so /signed.

Too bad. In any other game if you don't like a class, you have to reroll. The only difference is you make your true class choice at level 10 in SWTOR.

Website says specialization not class, a class is something you pick to play at character creation............have you played any MMOs?????

I've played many, many MMOS thanks.

You are continuing to use the same mistaken or badly worded example from the website as fact.

Other posters have copy/pasted BW's exact definition of class, advanced class and spec.

Other posters have also pointed out the flaws in your WoW comparison.

You obviously disagree with BW even though its their game...because that spuriously worded part of the website is the only thing that supports your flawed point of view.

I cant even troll this level of stupid...I thought you said you IQ was like 136????

Enjoy the rest of the thread...no matter how many times people point out your wrong...just remember, its like that in WoW and that website MUST be correct as it was written by marketing and not the game designers lol...

Driz

So someone who debates should state their argument and leave not bothering to counterpoint? Remind me not to get you as a lawyer or a debate partner.

You're debating semantics. It's not a worthwhile debate, and in fact, several people have asked you to stop.

Edited by Monotoli

Not the same thing. In your WoW example you want to change class. The argument here is to change specialization.

Incorrect, when I picked Sith Juggernaut, it stated "ADVANCED CLASS", not Advanced Specialization.

You think its a specialization, when BW designed this system, they viewed them as completely separate classes.

a Sith Marauder wears medium armor and dual sabers, a Sith Juggernaut wears heavy armor and uses a single saber. 2 totally different subsets. The only similarity is they both started as a Sith Warrior.

As we are over 1,000 posts into this thread with no end in sight a feel a brief summary is in order:

1. A lot of people don't see Advanced Classes as classes in their own right and hence don't see any harm in re-speccing between them.
  2. Roughly the same number of people see Advanced Classes as classes in their own right and hence don't see any justification in allowing people to re-spec between them.
  3. After over 1,000 posts - some reasonable and well-argued and some... er... not - almost all of the people who started with opinion (1) will still have opinion (1), and almost all of the people who started with opinion (2) will still have opinion (2).
  4. The accuracy of point (3) will not prevent (1)s trying to persuade (2)s they are wrong, and vice versa.
  5. Whichever point of view is correct is irrelevant since in my opinion (albeit not one backed up by anything other than a gut-feeling) it is extremely unlikely Bioware will change their minds and allow it to happen.

There, did I miss anything? :)

You're debating semantics. It's not a worthwhile debate, and in fact, several people have asked you to stop.

edit: As to why, the reason being it's off topic.

It's not semantics or word turning, it is using Biowares own words, people that refuse to either say Bioware is wrong and are not giving what was stated or admit they themselves are wrong is just astounding.

a Sith Marauder wears medium armor and dual sabers, a Sith Juggernaut wears heavy armor and uses a single saber. 2 totally different subsets. The only similarity is they both started as a Sith Warrior.

They have the exact same story. That makes them pretty similar.

All other games if you want a new class you have to reroll.

And to the people crying about doing the exact same over again...

YOU DO THAT IN ALL OTHER MMO's!!Basically The same damn quests for every character!

making the "wahhh i have to play the same story again" argument useless.

The only thing I could think of is a one time reset, per character, to level 10.

Edited by blikkONE

As we are over 1,000 posts into this thread with no end in sight a feel a brief summary is in order:

1. A lot of people don't see Advanced Classes as classes in their own right and hence don't see any harm in re-speccing between them.
  2. Roughly the same number of people see Advanced Classes as classes in their own right and hence don't see any justification in allowing people to re-spec between them.
  3. After over 1,000 posts - some reasonable and well-argued and some... er... not - almost all of the people who started with opinion (1) will still have opinion (1), and almost all of the people who started with opinion (2) will still have opinion (2).
  4. The accuracy of point (3) will not prevent (1)s trying to persuade (2)s they are wrong, and vice versa.
  5. Whichever point of view is correct is irrelevant since in my opinion (albeit not one backed up by anything other than a gut-feeling) it is extremely unlikely Bioware will change their minds and allow it to happen.

There, did I miss anything? :)

Thats it...in a nutshell.

/endthread

Driz

All other games if you want a new class you have to reroll.

And to the people crying about doing the exact same over again...

YOU DO THAT IN ALL OTHER MMO's!! The same damn quests for every character!

The only thing I could think of is a one time reset, per character, to level 10.

If we were asking for a new class that would be one thing, asking for a different specialization is what we want.

Actually you are wrong. Powertech and Mercenary are two complete different Advances classes(or specializations) of one Class. Picking either will change your playstyle and core abilities completely.

Sigh.... wrong again.

You said;

"But in this game advanced class is a separate "class"..."

No, Advance class Powertech is the same class as Mercenary. The class being called "Bounty Hunter". They have the same story, companions, and share a great number or abilities. Even Pyrotech & Arsenal share, but use different abilities and they are the same advanced class.

But you tried to tell us they were separate classes.... they are not.

I'll tell you another thing... in WoW playing a Shadow Priest or a Holy Priest is a huge difference as well. Completely different "play style and core abilities". SWTOR didn't do anything extreme or different as you keep trying to tell us to justify denying a switch.

At least give people 1 chance to change their mind. Make it expensive. Put a level cap on the decision.

Edited by Kourage

I'd like to see an advanced class respec allowed - this is NOT the first game to use such a system of advancement.

EQ2 launched with a system where you played a basic class up to level 10, then chose your actual 'advanced' class and were stuck with it. They eventually dropped this system completely and made people pick their 'advanced' class at character creation.

I agree that doing EXACTLY the same quests up to level 10 in order to play both variants of a class is stupid and not in keeping with the 'story driven' aspect of the game. I see no GOOD reason to disallow switching to the other advanced class as long as they are going to keep that duplication of the first 10 levels.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see an advanced class respec allowed - this is NOT the first game to use such a system of advancement.

EQ2 launched with a system where you played a basic class up to level 10, then chose your actual 'advanced' class and were stuck with it. They eventually dropped this system completely and made people pick their 'advanced' class at character creation.

I agree that doing EXACTLY the same quests up to level 10 in order to play both variants of a class is stupid and not in keeping with the 'story driven' aspect of the game. I see no GOOD reason to disallow switching to the other advanced class as long as they are going to keep that duplication of the first 10 levels.:rolleyes:

Even if they had them as separate classes rolled right off the bat at level 1, the same people calling for a "respec" would still be crying in this thread.