The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stupid quest...why van melee?

aikitexan

I know that this is stupid, and I have been playing van since day 1 of pre-release, but why are we considered melee? I have 3 melee attacks and 1 I can't use in PvP; so essentially 2 melee. I am shiled spec, so that does give me 1 melee over the other trees, but I still do a good portion of my dmg ranged.

Thank you for the replies.

Because despite all the pewpew, "Optimal" DPS revolves around smacking people upside the head with the other end of the gun, which translates to the greatest amount of pain for opponents- and Ion Cell > most everything else, which again favors close combat.

Thus, we're "melee". I sorta wish they'd given us more of a ranged DPS tree in Assault and traded more of the close combat stuff more to Tactics- like, say Heavy Stock for Demolition, and better odds with Ionic Accelerator when Pulsing a target vs. Stockstrike instead of the other way round.

A lot of it has to deal with us being a tank. Tanks work best in close quarters, especially considering threat is highest there and gets reduced the further you are away from the target. I do agree that the DPS specs could be more focused on range, though. We do have one benefit in having some good melee skills as dps-- we've also got several tools for mid to long range as well, which allows us to great mobility without losing out too much. No matter where the fight is happening, we can at least do something. Edited by KLGChaos

SS and RS are melee, and considering how useful both are and seeing as how there are no limitations from being in melee range (like minimum range) there's no point not to be in melee. It's easier to think of Vanguards as a melee class with some ranged abilities + a ranged auto-attack... which happens to snare the enemy for 2 secs. It's versatile at least. Smack casters in the face and mercilessly kite melee.