Building a PC for SWTOR

Super-massive

Say's it in the title.

I'm building a new PC for SWTOR, as well as other uses. (3DSMax, being the main one.)

Simply, while I love my macbook, I need an upgrade. And it, unfortunately need to be a PC to have the compatibility I need without Bootcamp.

So far, I have an i7 2600K processor, a christmas gift.

And I just recently used my gift cards to purchase a tower.

The ZALMAN Z9 Plus

I'm no computer expert. I understand a bit of it, and I SORT of know what I want to get, but I'd prefer advice from people with a bit more experience.

I'm shooting to spend within the 700-800 range for the rest of the parts.

Here's what I've been looking at for the rest of the build:

MotherBoard: ASRock LGA1155 175$

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 27$

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 53$

EDIT: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB ~47$

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 900M 1 GB ~160$

EDIT: Specifically going with this GPU: SAPPHIRE FleX 100314FLEX Radeon HD 6870 5 Stars makes me feel better about it. ~200$

HD: Western Digital 1 TB 92$

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 125$

EDIT: Changing to OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ~90$

CD/DVD: Liteon iHAS324 30$

SSD: OCZ Technology 60 GB Agility 3 100$

EDIT: Opting for the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 2.5" 64GB instead. ~110$

Tell me what you guys think.

With the current listed parts, the price comes out to 771$. Right at the top of my price range.

Edited by Super-massive

Personally I would ditch the CPU cooler unless the i7 doesn't have one. If you aren't planning to overclock its a waste of money as long as you setup the inside of your case to allow sufficient airflow.

From what I've read it does. But It was only like 30$ and I may be pushing my computer down the road. Plus, I just really want to play it safe, I need this thing to last.

From what I've read it does. But It was only like 30$ and I may be pushing my computer down the road. Plus, I just really want to play it safe, I need this thing to last.

Thats fair enough, its personal choice at the end of the day :D

i got i3-2120 and amd 6870, game runs like a champ... imo, all these higher end CPUs is pretty much scam, at least when it comes to "general computing"

That's good to know, the gpu is specifically what I was really worried about, everyone's been posting how this game is wrecking theirs, or how their's doesn't work well.

And you have the exact one I linked? Or are there different versions within the 6870 bracket?

That's good to know, the gpu is specifically what I was really worried about, everyone's been posting how this game is wrecking theirs, or how their's doesn't work well.

And you have the exact one I linked? Or are there different versions within the 6870 bracket?

no, mine is Sapphire branded

Intel 320 is the best SSD you can get right now, wouldn't really recommend anything else. And i7 is not really that much better than i5, just has hyper threading, which most games don't support anyway.

I know the i5 is better bang for the buck, but the i7 was a christmas present, so I've already got it.

I would suggest going with CrossFire if it's in the budget, I have 2 6950 Saphires in my rig. Ill never go back to a single card again.

Yeah, after reading what the other guy said I've decided on this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102924

has 5 stars, and even one of the comments on it specifically says it run SWTOR well.

Grab a 2gb card instead

Have a specific one in mind?

Edited by Super-massive

Intel 320 is the best SSD you can get right now, wouldn't really recommend anything else. And i7 is not really that much better than i5, just has hyper threading, which most games don't support anyway.

The intel 320 is just reliable. Its not the fastest nor the best overall. Isnt it still sata2?

If you want performance and reliability go samsung 800series.

2gb I use is 6970 lightning. It drstroys this game on max settings (still not impressive though). And because of its beast cooler/fans it never goes above 62C.

I also had a 6950 2gb twin frozr iii but I honestly had too many issues with that card.

Any XFX XXX Black edition cards or Sapphire 2gb cards (toxic edition) are great choices.

Samsung 810 series. Sorry. Should be on newegg.com

830?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147133

And I looked up the Graphics cards you were talking about, but that's starting to push a little to heavy on price for my budget right now.

I'm feeling pretty confident with the 1GB sapphire I have posted up there now.

In the future, when I have more money I'll look into a better one.