Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss this topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

I have 1 year old laptop (bought previous December) with most powerful video card at that moment - having 15-25fps on fleet.

I wouldn't call that "I have no issues" and somehow I doubt more than 50% of SWTOR players have less than a year old computers. Making graphic more complex will force many players - include myslef - to switch to low quality settings. However could be nice to have ability to tweak graphics a bit in low population areas.

Edited by Pashgan

I have 1 year old laptop (bought previous December) with most powerful video card at that moment

There's your problem

A LAPTOP cannot run a game half as well as a PC can.

There are a (very) few companies that make professional gaming laptops, but those aren't going to be anything < $2k. Anything else is going to give you minimal performance, which you're seeing.

You want optimal performance? Use a desktop

I was one of those who sat wondering about the issues when i was easily able to play the game on high (minus shadows) on a 3 year old mid range pc. I upgraded from a dual core AMD Athlon II to a AMD phenom II hex core at 3.7GHz, 4gig 1066MHz DDR2 to 8gig 1600MHz DDR3, ATI radeon 4850 to ATI radeon 6970 and somehow my frame rate has halved from 30ish to 15.

Every other game I have including bioware titles ME1 & 2, DA:O + expan and DA2 can be run on max settings with framerates of 50+. And before you say MMOs are different I ran WoW at over 100fps on max settings.

The components i'm using are hardly obscure. They're some of the most popular currently available.

And are these low end components there James? Has it occured to you that whilst you've heard 5% of the community complain about low fps issues. How many others suffer in silence?

Edited by Rainbowrising

Just making myself heard as one of the "few" people having performance issues.

My rig surpasses the reccommend specifications for this game by a long shot; we're talking Quad-Core, a over-clocked GFX card just one generation below the current and enough RAM to run two instances of that OTHER MMO, in said MMOs capital city AT ONCE without a hickup.

And still I can't push far beyond a steady 30 FPS dropping as low as 15 FPS in Fleet and some planets. I've tried most of the "fixes" out there; the XP 3, forcing and tweaking the nividia control panel, INI. I even went out and got myself a copy of windows 7. And even then, on a fresh install with nothing but the necessary drivers, SWTOR and Windows 7; piss-pot performance.

I get that you need a SWEET SUPER COMPUTER to run this, but at least have the courtesy to make this a fact BioWare. Don't give out false recommended specifications.

If you state that the recommended system is X and any player has this system or better then this should equate to a MINIMUM of 60 FPS during "standard procedures" on HIGH settings. Not scrapping by at 24 FPS with minecraft textures and shadow-effects so bad they make baby jesus cry.

Just making myself heard as one of the "few" people having performance issues.

My rig surpasses the reccommend specifications for this game by a long shot; we're talking Quad-Core, a over-clocked GFX card just one generation below the current and enough RAM to run two instances of that OTHER MMO, in said MMOs capital city AT ONCE without a hickup.

And still I can't push far beyond a steady 30 FPS dropping as low as 15 FPS in Fleet and some planets. I've tried most of the "fixes" out there; the XP 3, forcing and tweaking the nividia control panel, INI. I even went out and got myself a copy of windows 7. And even then, on a fresh install with nothing but the necessary drivers, SWTOR and Windows 7; piss-pot performance.

I get that you need a SWEET SUPER COMPUTER to run this, but at least have the courtesy to make this a fact BioWare. Don't give out false recommended specifications.

If you state that the recommended system is X and any player has this system or better then this should equate to a MINIMUM of 60 FPS during "standard procedures" on HIGH settings. Not scrapping by at 24 FPS with minecraft textures and shadow-effects so bad they make baby jesus cry.

I don't know why people keep posting stuff like this without posting the exact specs of their systems and expect to be taken seriously.

Case in point: I'm running on PC that has an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz (dual core CPU) with 4gigs of DDR2 RAM, Asus P5K-VM motherboard, Windows 7 64-bit OS, and a video card (eVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb) that I recently added. I have had only occasional slowdowns but generally exceed 60 FPS when playing, which is a huge improvement over the FPS I got with my last vid card (eVGA GeForce GTX 520 2gb).

And are these low end components there James? Has it occured to you that whilst you've heard 5% of the community complain about low fps issues. How many others suffer in silence?

I can't imagine much. Honestly, if you were having problems playing a game you enjoyed. Would you sit quietly about it? Or would you do some investigation and try to get some help?

Time of this report: 1/13/2012, 18:40:04

Machine name:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

System Model: G73Jh

BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/09 15:13:23 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8116MB RAM

Page File: 2777MB used, 13454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68A0)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_1C021043&REV_00

Display Memory: 716 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB

Shared Memory: 3802 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: HSD173PUW1

Monitor Id: HSD06A5

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.013Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1094 (English)

Driver Version: 8.892.0.0

DDI Version:

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/8/2011 12:32:58, 862720 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BE0-11CF-B577-083CBEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68A0

SubSys ID: 0x1C021043

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem6.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_Manhattan:8.892.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_68a0

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Video Accel:

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Not Available

AGP Status: Enabled

Any reason I can't break 10 fps in a warzone and maybe 25-30 in empty instances?

I can't imagine much. Honestly, if you were having problems playing a game you enjoyed. Would you sit quietly about it? Or would you do some investigation and try to get some help?

especially if you know your computer is high end. If you think your computer is low end then you will accept it as such and not do anything. But if you know you can play BF3 on high settings and you are getting 10fps here you are going to yell and scream

As for this 5% bullcrap it's a fact that only a very small percantage of payerbase ever visits the forums or make tickets either due to inconvinence (as with the case of the terri-bad ingame ticket system with the same automated answer for every given ticket in SWTOR) or lack of intrest.

Further, not all gamers are computer-enthusiast and don't bother for things such as FPS; all they see is the game stuttering some, but couldn't for the life of them make out the difference between a healthy 60 FPS and 20-something FPS.

Pure speculation; 10-20% of the playerbase spends any real time on these forums. To make things easy these 10-20% reflect the entire playerbase rather accurately.

From this subset only 10-20% actually bother for make posts.

And in this subset only 10-20% are GEEK enough to understand the disperancy between their system speccs and actual ingame performance.

If everysingle person in this last subset had problems and posted on this forum that would seem like only 0.34...% of the playerbase. But in reality these guys make up the voice for a section of the playerbase that could be as large as 30%.

As for this 5% bullcrap it's a fact that only a very small percantage of payerbase ever visits the forums or make tickets either due to inconvinence (as with the case of the terri-bad ingame ticket system with the same automated answer for every given ticket in SWTOR) or lack of intrest.

Further, not all gamers are computer-enthusiast and don't bother for things such as FPS; all they see is the game stuttering some, but couldn't for the life of them make out the difference between a healthy 60 FPS and 20-something FPS.

Pure speculation; 10-20% of the playerbase spends any real time on these forums. To make things easy these 10-20% reflect the entire playerbase rather accurately.

From this subset only 10-20% actually bother for make posts.

And in this subset only 10-20% are GEEK enough to understand the disperancy between their system speccs and actual ingame performance.

If everysingle person in this last subset had problems and posted on this forum that would seem like only 0.34...% of the playerbase. But in reality these guys make up the voice for a section of the playerbase that could be as large as 30%.

I see the concept of sample groups is lost on you.

I don't know why people keep posting stuff like this without posting the exact specs of their systems and expect to be taken seriously.

Case in point: I'm running on PC that has an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz (dual core CPU) with 4gigs of DDR2 RAM, Asus P5K-VM motherboard, Windows 7 64-bit OS, and a video card (eVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb) that I recently added. I have had only occasional slowdowns but generally exceed 60 FPS when playing, which is a huge improvement over the FPS I got with my last vid card (eVGA GeForce GTX 520 2gb).

Because having to include my DxDiag in a spoiler tag every single post I make about bad performance changes things how? Problem still exists.

Motherboard: P5E

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Dedicated Memory: 993 MB

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 overclocked to 825 MHz

Edited by tetuti

I see the concept of sample groups is lost on you.

My example illustrated just that. Sample groups swing both ways. It's like having an election where only half of the population actually can be arsed to vote. A seemingly even turn out could mean that up to 75% actually think blue is the prettiest colour.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Any reason I can't break 10 fps in a warzone and maybe 25-30 in empty instances?

Your drivers are a full three versions behind the latest stable release for your GPU, and four behind the latest beta?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#2

Update your drivers, man. This is just the v11 stuff, you have v8. The beta drivers are at v12 and people are reporting great FPS increases for SWTOR with them.

If its any help, FYI:

Playing in Bootcamp on a 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Quad Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Game plays great with everything on high, bloom off, at 1440x852, -1.0 Texture LOD:

70-110 fps in PvE

30-50 in fleet (obvious hit, but not unplayable)

Havent looked in warzone, too busy playing. So I guess its playable :p

I was one of those who sat wondering about the issues when i was easily able to play the game on high (minus shadows) on a 3 year old mid range pc. I upgraded from a dual core AMD Athlon II to a AMD phenom II hex core at 3.7GHz, 4gig 1066MHz DDR2 to 8gig 1600MHz DDR3, ATI radeon 4850 to ATI radeon 6970 and somehow my frame rate has halved from 30ish to 15.

Every other game I have including bioware titles ME1 & 2, DA:O + expan and DA2 can be run on max settings with framerates of 50+. And before you say MMOs are different I ran WoW at over 100fps on max settings.

The components i'm using are hardly obscure. They're some of the most popular currently available.

for like the millionth time he never says all the people having performance issues have low end rigs just MOST of them.

ALSO people who do have high end rigs who are having performance rigs are NOT suffering in silcence.

Those people are very vocal as THEY ARE SUPRISED THEY ARE HAVING ISSUES.

Now he also said THEY HAVE A TEAM WORKING ON THE ISSUE.

what else do you require?

Time of this report: 1/13/2012, 18:40:04

Machine name:

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

System Model: G73Jh

BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/09 15:13:23 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8116MB RAM

Page File: 2777MB used, 13454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68A0)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_1C021043&REV_00

Display Memory: 716 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB

Shared Memory: 3802 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: HSD173PUW1

Monitor Id: HSD06A5

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.013Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

DDI Version:

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BE0-11CF-B577-083CBEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68A0

SubSys ID: 0x1C021043

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem6.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_Manhattan:8.892.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_68a0

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Video Accel:

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Not Available

AGP Status: Enabled

Yep. You have a 1.6 Ghz CPU. That's.... ridiculously slow. You might have 8 cores but its 8 REAL SLOW cores. This game is CPU intensive and does not officially support multiple cores... so you're running this game on a single core @ 1.6 Ghz. They made faster PCs than that in the year 1999.

Edited by Laeris

Yep. You have a 1.6 Ghz CPU. That's.... ridiculously slow. You might have 8 cores but its 8 REAL SLOW cores. This game is CPU intensive and does not officially support multiple cores... so you're running this game on a single core @ 1.6 Ghz. They made faster PCs than that in the year 1999.

agreed

bottleneck alleviation scales better with clock speed then cores as well.

Fast dual cores perform heaps better paired with high end graphics cards then slower quads. This is further shown when you start to cap pcie buss bandwidth with sli etc.

$300 Intel Core i7 2600K

put vcore at 1.4-1.41 set ppl's and other voltages to stock. leave BCLK at 100 up multi to 47-50. Start at 47x.

Find the wall for your multi and start to slowly lower vcore to find the sweetspot.

of course messing with load line settings and a 350 VRM frequency.

Result is a nice cheap 4.7-5ghz I7 that runs 60 degree's on prime95 full load on air cooling.

kgo

Edited by Harower

My laptop is an Asus ROG G73 http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73Jh/

Is the game playable on it? Depends.

I can do Raids without any issue with shadows turned off.

It's barely playable in the Fleet (Especially late a night = more players)

I get 20-30 FPS in PvP.

The issue is obviously the low frequency of the mobile i7.

The game runs a lot better at home on my i7 @ 3.6ghz.

Because having to include my DxDiag in a spoiler tag every single post I make about bad performance changes things how? Problem still exists.

Motherboard: P5E

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Dedicated Memory: 993 MB

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 overclocked to 825 MHz

I had the same cpu as you, the same vid card, not overclocked, but twice the ram @800mhz ddr2.

In fleet and certain areas. 15fps. Everywhere else 30-40fps.

I upgraded to a phenom2 x6 1050t, 1333 ddr3 16gig, and a new motherboard so I could put my SLI configuration back in. same version cards, still no overclocking done.

In fleet and certain areas, 27-40fps. everywhere else, 60-108 (I applied vsync and it sits steady at 55-60fps.

srs bizns gamers will still say that fps is crap...but no, it really isn't. Since *I* couldn't tell a difference between 108fps and 60fps, and it is my rig, not theirs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.